Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a driver behind me tonight with very bright headlights. He was following quite close so I pressed the button on my rear view mirror to activate the auto-dimming feature. Both my windshield mounted rear view mirror and driver's side exterior mirror dimmed nicely but my passenger side mirror did not. I have never noticed in the past if the passenger side mirror dims when the auto-dimming is activated.

Does anyone know if the passenger side mirror is equipped to dim like the driver's side?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
The mirror could have been replaced since I seem to recall someone else reporting a long time ago green gloop coming out of their door mirror and the price difference between a new dipping mirror and a non-dipper was substantial.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My passenger mirror does not dim. If you look closely at the driver side mirror, you can see the outline near the edge in which the inner section dims. I took the reason for that being that the likelihood of a vehicles headlights behind you blinding you from the passenger side is slim to none.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
If you are concerned that you may have a non-functioning item, rather than it not being fitted from the factory, you can always refer to the vehicle build codes in your owners manual (also found in the spare tyre compartment). The code of the mirrors fitted will answer your question.

Stuart...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
There are a number of combinations of rear view wing mirrors that VW makes, to comply with various countries legal, and environmental requirements.
Flat, convex, convex with warning message, aspherical, and then plain, heated, dimming, or a combination.
The US requires flat mirrors on the drivers side, with the option of convex mirrors on the passenger side. Flat mirrors (interior and drivers side) reflect much more glare from overtaking vehicles than either convex, or aspherical mirrors. This is why they are fitted with anti-dim, a very expensive liquid crystal layer.
Convex, and aspherical mirrors inherently reduce glare to just pinpricks of bright light, much less distracting, and are therefore uncommonly fitted with the auto dimming option.
AFAIK, All NA models come stock with US required flat auto dim drivers side mirrors, and convex passengers side mirrors, without auto dim (cost factor) and with the printed idiot warning.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
US Spec 2004 and 2006 had all three mirrors auto-dim.

Then we entered the big era of Touareg de-contenting. :(

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. It makes sense that different countries have different requirements for vehicle mirrors due to their safety regulations. After doing some research, I found that in the US market, all Touaregs have the interior dimming mirror and T1's had the optional dimming driver's and passenger's outside mirrors. 2008 T2's have the optional driver's side dimming mirror but it seems it was removed for model year 2009-2010. I wonder if the outside dimming mirror was brought back in the T3 for the US market? It is a really nice feature.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
US Spec 2004 and 2006 had all three mirrors auto-dim. Then we entered the big era of Touareg de-contenting. :(
My 2004 V8 had all three auto-dim. This is why I thought my 2008 should have the same feature but after popping off the passenger side mirror, I noticed there are no wires on the back side for auto-dimming like the driver's side.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
It would not be hard to add, but expensive due to the price of the auto dim glass. I recall that all three mirrors run off of the inside mirror. VW just ran a single small wire to each outside mirror from the interior mirror. The lcd inside the mirrors (that does the dimming) requires very little current.

LCD technology is dirt cheap to make. Someone must have a trademark claim on "auto-dim" to explain the price difference. Manufacturing cost would be almost nothing. It is basically the same technology used in your digital watch display and you know how cheap those things can go for.

My 2004 mirrors had a nice black plastic bezel (frame) surrounding both exterior mirrors. By the time 2006 had came around, the glass was shipped bare. VW must have been able to source those mirrors for 3 cents less by deleting the plastic frame! grump grump bitch bitch moan moan. Lolz!

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Nothing to Vag on the dimming mirrors.

Just apply +12V to the mirror itself it and it goes to full dimming. Apply less volts and you can get partial dimming. The controller in the inside mirror is self contained with no can interface. It has a output wire that can be directly connected to additional self dimming mirrors (the two outside mirrors) to make them dim in unison with the interior mirror.

If you have a car without a self dimming mirror, you can buy a self dimming mirror aftermarket or from a salvage yard and put them on any vehicle. They only require +12V and a ground to operate.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
US Spec 2004 and 2006 had all three mirrors auto-dim.

Then we entered the big era of Touareg de-contenting. :(
Funny old world, isn't it? The higher you go up the T scale, the less you get!:D

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
T3's don't get the right side auto dimming either. I was going to retrofit it but since got rid of the Touareg. I have a pair of aspherical, heated with antidazzle Euro/UK mirrors if anyone is interested.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
(3)2004 V10tdi’s
849 Posts
I noticed right away that my 2008 V10 (T2) mirror did not dim on the passenger side....kinda missed it because both do on my 2004 V10. Never got around to checking the harness behind the mirror. The mirror does not rotate up and down so I will need to address that and looks like a pair of wires added with the correct glass could make it work if it's not there....

·
Administrator
10,219 Posts
I had a driver behind me tonight with very bright headlights. He was following quite close so I pressed the button on my rear view mirror to activate the auto-dimming feature. Both my windshield mounted rear view mirror and driver's side exterior mirror dimmed nicely but my passenger side mirror did not. I have never noticed in the past if the passenger side mirror dims when the auto-dimming is activated.

Does anyone know if the passenger side mirror is equipped to dim like the driver's side?
Passenger side dimming mirror was a casulaty of the cost cutting starting in 2008.

Its not an auto dimming mirror, and no Touaregs in North America 2008+ have this feature.

Yes it sucks that a $11K Kia has it and a $60K Touareg does not.

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Dead Horse

Yep. VW de-contenting at it best. I decided to wait... to get a T3 with air. *!*!!*!*!*!

Yep... still waiting on that T>2 that has air suspension. I hear you can get them if you are not in freaking North America!

I was told I could buy a Q7 instead. :-k Nope, I will just keep driving my '06 for now. It is nice and apparently VW does not want me to buy another Touareg.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
Dead Horse

Yep... still waiting on that T>2 that has air suspension. I hear you can get them if you are not in freaking North America!
T2's are here in NA with air and I own one of them, but not selling anytime soon!! :)

·
Registered
4,052 Posts
Here is a possible link to an affordable T2 auto dimming passenger mirror.

Mirror Glass Heated with Auto Dimmer Passenger Right Side VW Touareg 7L6857521M | eBay

Do your own research, I have a T1 and am just passing this along hoping it might help out some of you T2 owners. At that price, it might be worth a shot to see if it could work.
"Kool Vue Mirror Glass -- KOOL VUE MIRROR GLASS, HEATED, WITHOUT TURN SIGNAL LIGHT -- Convex type; With support and auto dimming feature; A high quality, OE replacement mirror glass"

Notes Location : Passenger Side

Brand New in the Box - Fit and Quality Guaranteed!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts