Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how to turn on/off the auto dimming feature of this mirror? There are no physical buttons on the mirror itself...

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
614 Posts
The easiest way would be to just cover the light sensor with some opaque material, like a piece of tape, so the mirror never realizes it's being sheen at. Or if you want to make things complicated, you could disconnect the electronics part of it, or adjust its sensitivity (ie. the point at which it starts to dim) in VCDS.

However, if your problem is that it's also "dimmed" in bright sunlight, then that's because the layers inside the mirror glass have separated and oxidized, and you'll have to replace the mirror to fix that.

·
Registered
42 Posts
brobb

This is of no help to your subject about dimming the mirror. But i was wondering how you got a frameless mirror on a 2016? did it come with that mirror? I thought that was a 2017 thing only? I would like that mirror for my 2016. It has the standard framed mirror.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Brobb & Gnits - I bought it. My 2016 originally came with the big ugly mirror as well and I replaced it with the framless 2017 version. It is a direct replacement and that is what promted this thread. So I guess my question should be more directed toward 2017 owners.

The original big chunky mirror has a on/off button on the bottom of the mirror that controls the auto dimming feature. This framless mirror has no pysical buttons, so it is just on all of the time.

Did VW remove the on/off control of the auto dimming feature when they went frameless on the 2017 or is there some other way to control it?

The mirror is brand new and functions correctly so I have no issues with it. My question is more out of curiosity...

If anyone else would like to know, the part number for the 2017 framless mirror is 7P6-857-511-AD-9B9 and it is a direct replacement fit for at least 2015-2016 Touaregs, most likely all T3's...

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi DMCAFL,

Thanks for the informative response. I am with you on the look of the framed mirror being ugly. I definitely want to get one..but dang...they are expensive. I will be curious to hear what someone says about your dimming feature. That is strange they did away with buttons. Thanks for the part number as well. I appreciate you posting that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
or adjust its sensitivity (ie. the point at which it starts to dim) in VCDS.
There is no adjustment of the mirrors sensitivity, it is directly proportional to the amount of light hitting the photosensor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts