Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Administrator
511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone,

Per the latest announcements we will be resetting everyone’s passwords. Shortly you should be receiving an email directing you how to change your password. It will look like this:

Subject: Your new password for *site name*
Dear *username*,

Your password has been reset by an administrator. Your new details are as follows:

Username: *username*

Password: *Randomly generated temp password*

To change your password, please visit this page: *link to password reset edit page from USERCP*

If you suspect this email is a scam, you can confirm the legitimacy of this email by manually navigate to the forum URL yourself and use your new password to log in.

All the best,

Site Name

As you can see it will give you a randomly generated temporary password, as well as telling you where you need to go to updated it accordingly.

Password rules are as follows:

Must be at least 10 characters
Must contain lower-case characters
Must contain upper-case characters
Must contain numbers
Must contain symbols

If you do not receive this email please go to the contact us page and select Other, and type in Security Password Update Issues

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.

The Community Support Team

·
Registered
575 Posts
As the previous post indicates there is no guidance as to what specific parameters are required for the password. The 'new password' box has a number of crosses below it which seems to change to a tick when a specific password parameter is met. I have used a combination of Capital letters and numbers and still have one cross left.
It would seem to me that the required parameters are:

At least one Capital letter,
At least one number,
At least ? characters,
At least ? punctuation mark (full stop, comma, etc)

If we could get some more info about this it would save us trying numerous combinations before we finally get the combination correct.

Thanks.

·
Registered
454 Posts
The password reset page has a bunch of red X's that turn into blue checks when you satisfy all the requirements for a horrible password.

You need one of each:

Lower case, uppercase, number, special character.

It also has to be a certain length, I believe at least 9 characters.

This of course will lead to a craptastic password that is hard for humans to remember but not all that hard to crack, and one that users are extremely likely to write down or save in an insecure location on their computer or phone.

I appreciate the hours the staff is putting into this forum, unfortunately I think all the recent updates are making things worse from a user perspective. Since the update I have been coming here less and less, and without the disturbing password change email, I wouldn't have logged in today either. :-(

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Crap idea.

Crappily handled.

Well done ClubTouareg.

A NORMAL site would tell you how a password should be configured . . .

New email required ASAP to all members telling us just that.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Password Change

I am extremely unhappy with this password change. I do not need a gobbledygook password and I cannot change it to a password of my choosing.Once again the computer nerds win . A thousand years curse on you all.

Per the latest announcements we will be resetting everyone’s passwords. Shortly you should be receiving an email directing you how to change your password. It will look like this:

As you can see it will give you a randomly generated temporary password, as well as telling you where you need to go to updated it accordingly.

If you do not receive this email please go to the contact us page and select Other, and type in Security Password Update Issues

The Community Support Team[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Password Change

[I see from your email you are sorry for the inconvenience. So you F*&$%#@ well should be. Is ISIS infiltrating Club Touareg so we all need to change our passwords?

·
Registered
499 Posts
Is it really that serious? So what, they made you change your password. :(

In my experience people who complain about passwords are usually people who have craptastic passwords and use the same ones across every site that will allow them.

·
Registered
301 Posts

In my experience people who complain about passwords are usually people who have craptastic passwords and use the same ones across every site that will allow them.

I think that people are upset for the following reasons:

1. Did a reset without a timely warning.

2. Provide you with a temporary password that did not fonction. ( too Long for the reset parameters)

3. Did not provide the how to reset parameters to include the new password sequence to follow besides 5 X.

4. Myself I thought that this password change was a threat as I am mostly logged in and then would not accept my password. Only after going to my secret Place to confirm my password as I thought I forgot it. I noticed an email with a password change. Tried that and it still didn't work so now it was pretty sure to me there was a virus., But really no as the password they provided did not work. I did my own password reset request and received a new password and it functioned, but when trying to put in my new password It didn't work as I kept getting one or two X that were always in red. So we or I am still waiting to get the information from TECH ADMIN on how to properly do my password reset. So this is where most frustrations are coming from. I guess TECH ADMIN doesn't care about us as they have not answered to anyone or on this thread.

To be honest this was not well thought out on the part of TECH ADMIN.

Not everyone is computer savvy on this site.

My food for thoughts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hello Everyone,

The Community Support Team
You have a flaw in the system where it doesn't tell the user what is required...I believe the last check I was trying to solve was a requirement of two non-alpha-numerics characters.

Attachments

·
Registered
776 Posts

What's wrong with using the same password on sites without sensitive data?

And mine isn't (wasn't) "craptastic", it was moderately robust.

Contributors give their time freely to provide expertise and personal experience in return for use of a free forum - if it's made at all difficult, people won't bother.

·
Registered
776 Posts
You have a flaw in the system where it doesn't tell the user what is required...I believe the last check I was trying to solve was a requirement of two non-alpha-numerics characters.
AFAIK minimum length 10 characters, minimum of 1 upper case and 1 lower case alphabetic, minimum of 1 numeric and minimum of 1 special character - this last being the ridiculous requirement that even my most sensitive/secure sites elsewhere don't need.

Perhaps Tech Admin need to apply for jobs in Secret Service rather than playing at it here.

·
Registered
189 Posts
What's wrong with using the same password on sites without sensitive data?
From the perspective of the end user, not much. If you were to use the same password on all car forums and one gets compromised, it might just be a pain to change all of the others manually... if you even bother. There is the chance your email address can be harvested, though.

From the perspective of the admin, absolutely everything. No forum administrator wants to deal with huge swaths of the users being compromised at the same time... and the subsequent sh*tstorm of spam that comes with it! It also makes it more likely the board itself can get compromised, and attackers can gain access to everything underneath it, including server logs.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I don't see what the big deal is. I simply copy and pasted the new randomly generated password from the email into the password field. As soon as I logged in Google Chrome had a popup asked if I wanted it to remember the new password. The password is now automatically entered on all of my devices with Google Chrome.

I will never remember what my password is and I will never need to again.

·
Registered
776 Posts
From the perspective of the end user, not much. If you were to use the same password on all car forums and one gets compromised, it might just be a pain to change all of the others manually... if you even bother. There is the chance your email address can be harvested, though.

From the perspective of the admin, absolutely everything. No forum administrator wants to deal with huge swaths of the users being compromised at the same time... and the subsequent sh*tstorm of spam the comes with it! It also makes it more likely the board itself can get compromised, and attackers can gain access to everything underneath it, including server logs.
I've been on the admin team at a couple of other forums - no perceived problem there.

How would "huge swathes of users" be compromised at the same time, just by breaking a handful of contributors? Of course the Tech Admin team need secure passwords because infiltration at that level could/would result in mass compromise - but not ordinary contributors.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I've been on the admin team at a couple of other forums - no perceived problem there.

How would "huge swathes of users" be compromised at the same time, just by breaking a handful of contributors? Of course the Tech Admin team need secure passwords because infiltration at that level could/would result in mass compromise - but not ordinary contributors.
Just a hypothetical situation wherein the majority of users on a forum re-use their passwords from other forums. One forum leaks u/p combinations, and bots begin scraping other forums to see if they work.

Known-valid addresses are quite valuable for what they are.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm glad I came across this thread. When I got that email about my password being reset last night I thought it was due to an unauthorized person trying to login. I couldn't quite put together who would want to hack into my CT account and why but it was still pretty worrying considering I've actually had a few accounts messed with in the past few months.

I'm all for having a secure password for banking sites or anything to do with important information, but I don't understand the need for such a ridiculous password criteria for Club Touareg. Also, I wanted to say that how this was handled was very poor. The email sent out to all users gave no indication as to why any of this was happening.

...........Seriously you're going to start driving people away from this forum if you make it a pain in the ass to use.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
So, the site management wanted us to change our passwords for something more secure but then sent out over 51,000 emails with all our passwords in open text.

Yup, THAT was a REALLY secure idea, wasn't it?

And isn't it noticeable how not one of the tecchies has dared to stick their head above the parapet on OUR website [yes, VSI, it is OUR website since without us contributors you would have 100% of zilch] to apologise, answer the questions raised and sort out a sensible password solution pronto.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
About this Discussion
61 Replies
23 Participants
Tech Admin
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing