Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
The Atlas is ===B---I---G===. That is a fact.

I wonder why VW picked these engines choices for the Atlas. The engines VW used for the Atlas are complicated (expensive) enough that the result can not be for simple cost savings. At the same time, they are not ideal engine choices for a large 2017 SUV.

I can take my 2006 AXQ V8 engine and smoke any Atlas.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Those things are huge.. I spent some time looking one over while waiting at the dealership last week. I wasn’t impressed, and that crease down the side makes it look butt ugly to me.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I still can't get a solid answer on it's towing capacity. I am going to have to give up my TREG TDI,if there is no fix,but this doesn't float my boat. Maybe if they get around to offering a TDI,probably never happening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I still can't get a solid answer on it's towing capacity. I am going to have to give up my TREG TDI,if there is no fix,but this doesn't float my boat. Maybe if they get around to offering a TDI,probably never happening.
Everything I have seen is 5000lb which puts it on par with basically every simple SUV.

Not enough to be useful imho

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Dealer just got two of them. They look gigantic compared to the Touareg, pics don't really convey that very well. I like the styling but this thing would be too hulking for me to want to drive. They're marked up $3K over MSRP.
Not my favorite VW until I saw this one: Tanner Foust special.

https://www.carscoops.com/2017/11/lge-cts-vw-atlas-ready-for-rally-thanks/#lg=1&slide=0

If I bought one, this is what I would be doing to it. But in reality this is a gutless vehicle. Not sure why anyone would spend the money doing this to it. I am curious how capable this thing would be in this condition off-roading. lol

Now if VW takes note of this one (at SEMA) maybe they will bring out something similar that has some guts but maybe.

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1712-volkswagen-confirms-expansion-of-atlas-suv-line/

"While an off-road–focused vehicle has been absent from the Volkswagen line for quite some time, the Atlas has serious potential for off-road capability. Take Tanner Foust’s SEMA project Atlas, which is something we’d like to take a spin in. Keep checking fourwheeler.com for updates on Volkswagen’s new SUV moves."

All it needs is a gutsy V8 and it would be ok enough.

·
Registered
80 Posts
They probably installed a fully Malone deleted and tuned TDI drive train and modified suspension. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,523 Posts
VW is out of the TDI business in the US. Don't wait for TDI to return, it won't. Gas then Electric is the VW plan.

While US sales were up earlier this year, sales are currently not looking good. reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-americas/vw-u-s-sales-chief-quits-amid-falling-deliveries

What would happen if GM flooded Germany with VW clones? Would faithful Germans abandon VW? Especially if the GM clones had sub standard engine choices. Yet VW thinks the US faithful will flock to the Atlas? Hmm...

Lastly, an Atlas $3K markup? Laughs and shakes head. I would not consider the Atlas if it had a 3K discount. Compared to the competition, the resale loss for the Atlas takes it out of consideration.

Also VW had to recently drop USA prices. It seems that the extra long US warranty is not enough to quickly move cars. Personally, after the way VW denied AdBlue issues, I would not trust VW to honor a warranty, extended or not.

It took many decades, but VW finally achieved the full glory of GM of the 1980s! >:)

All I am waiting for at this point is the future documentary "Winterkorn and me."

·
Registered
80 Posts
I think you misunderstood my post. I doubt Tyler Foust and his sponsors have money or expertise issues to take a used TDI and modify that Atlas for it. I am well aware VW does not make TDI engines for NA.
VW is out of the TDI business in the US. Don't wait for TDI to return, it won't. Gas then Electric is the VW plan.

While US sales were up earlier this year, sales are currently not looking good. reuters.com/article/us-volkswagen-americas/vw-u-s-sales-chief-quits-amid-falling-deliveries

What would happen if GM flooded Germany with VW clones? Would faithful Germans abandon VW? Especially if the GM clones had sub standard engine choices. Yet VW thinks the US faithful will flock to the Atlas? Hmm...

Lastly, an Atlas $3K markup? Laughs and shakes head. I would not consider the Atlas if it had a 3K discount. Compared to the competition, the resale loss for the Atlas takes it out of consideration.

Also VW had to recently drop USA prices. It seems that the extra long US warranty is not enough to quickly move cars. Personally, after the way VW denied AdBlue issues, I would not trust VW to honor a warranty, extended or not.

It took many decades, but VW finally achieved the full glory of GM of the 1980s! >:)

All I am waiting for at this point is the future documentary "Winterkorn and me."
Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
787 Posts
Has anyone driven the Atlas? I have... It's awful, the one thing I'll give it is the Nav screen is nice, besides that It's a joke. I drove the V6, and it was awfully slow. It was wide as hell bad blind spots, Felt heavy, the body roll was a joke I felt like I was in the back seat of an F150. The salesman was explaining to me all the features, and was like "Oh I bet your Touareg doesn't have this ( example keyless entry on all 4 doors) " I was like No it does have it, Then " What's the Touareg a V6?" No it's a V8 and is much quicker... It felt like an over sized Passat. I really wasn't a fan. I'll pick a used one up when its 8k and use it as a company car. In all honesty will prob be next year LOL.

The new Tiguan drove much better then the new Atlas, too bad it doesn't compare to the Touareg. I mean no power front seats is a joke in 2018...

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
About this Discussion
29 Replies
16 Participants
Touaregman33
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing