Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer just got two of them. They look gigantic compared to the Touareg, pics don't really convey that very well. I like the styling but this thing would be too hulking for me to want to drive. They're marked up $3K over MSRP.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
What sucka gonna pay over sticker? Not going to happen with an Atlas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I would only consider the Atlas if you live close to one of the good VW dealers. Sadly, I would also say that pretty much hoses it for about 75% of the USA.

I have also noticed that VW HQ has been steadily raising the old part prices for the last year. They gotta make up that profit loss somewhere / somehow.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Over MSRP... I wonder if VW knows the dealer is doing that?

Looks like a JEEP to me.

Tiny gas tank for such a bigly car.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Umm...No. Why would anyone buy that over a Ford Explorer? Fail.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
This idea is going to work out just like the Chrysler Routan venture.

Almost nobody who started wanting a Chrysler van went to VW to cross shop. The VW potential buyers were 10% of the market and Chrysler got the other 90% of the market. Very few shopped both VW and Chrysler.

VW will sell some Large SUV's to the VW people, but will sell almost none to the people who start out already knowing they want an Large American SUV.

In other words, the people who want a large Ford SUV will never cross shop at a VW dealer for their large SUV. And the GM people will stay at GM. Those people are already locked in.

It is the same concept as if VW cloned the Ford F150. Sure, some VW pickups would sell, but the Ford or Die enthusiast would still buy the Ford, the Chevy Truck drivers would buy the Chevy, Dodge people would buy the dodge, and VW gets the scraps.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If VW can successfully reach buyers with the message about the long warranty on the Atlas, they might win some converts from other brands. The longer warranty is a strong incentive. But who knows.

Interestingly, the 3 Atlasses (Atli?) at my dealer are all V-6.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw my first Atlas in the wild today. It was in stop and go downtown traffic. The weather is cold and rainy so there was exhaust vapor coming out the back but not from the fake exhaust tips. It made me laugh.

It’s a good looking vehicle but just too huge for me.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I have seen a few of them on the road. I haven't taken a look at the inside yet, but with GM shrinking the Acadia there is an opening in the market for a larger three row SUV provided the third row is usable unlike nearly all the competitors.

·
Registered
327 Posts

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
edit: their website says they have 25 of them
I see that that even with the extra long Atlas warranty (dubious value since VW admitted to the court about deviations of the Touareg ad-blue warranty), that the Atlas vehicles are also moving below MRSP.

I have only spotted one in the wild in my area. Funny enough, the Routans were and still are pretty common.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The inside is very similar to the Passat. I like what the Passat is, but it is very "tin canny" when compared to the Touareg and the Atlas has the same feel as the Passat. I am 6'2" and I fit comfortably in the 3rd row. The Atlas is too big for our family needs and the 18.6 gallon tank is too small. The EPA city 18mpg for the v6 is probably a dream which means you will be filling the Atlas up about every 250 miles when used for local duty. The Atlas and the larger Tiguan are going to draw more people into the dealerships so they should be able to move them. They both look good in person. I think it will a decent choice when compared to the other SUVs in this size range.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was in for a 10K service on my GTI. Was chatting with the sales mgr. who knows me pretty well. He volunteered that they’re having huge trouble moving Alltracks. They had one marked down $5K below MSRP before any haggling. The Alltrack and new Tiguan are priced roughly the same. The Alltrack is an AWD station wagon that can’t tow anything. The Tiguan is a bonafide larger crossover with SUV aspirations. No wonder they can’t sell Alltracks?

The Atlas and Tiguan are nice looking vehicles. But when I look at the dealer’s 2 remaining Touaregs, they “speak” to me in a completely different way. BTW there’s $7K factory incentive money on the table on the remaining FSI Touaregs.

(I own an Alltrack and I love it, but it’s a station wagon)

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I have never really taken much notice until this morning, then I almost threw up into my Corn Flakes... Is this not the most Fugly insult to ones senses. Are we sure it is not a the illegitimate progeny of a Tiguan and a Dodge Ram Pickup??? Even has its Grand Uncle "Crossfire's" hood ribs. If this is the future of VW, I am going to start looking for a secondhand Lada !!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I like the fake chrome, plastic tail pipes the best. ;)

It looks like it fell off of the top of the ugly tree, hitting every branch on the way down.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would not be able to live with myself knowing I’m driving a vehicle with fake exhaust tips. Lol.

I bet the hardcore engineers in Wolfsburg are deeply ashamed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I like the new Atlas but the low tow rating is a bit disappointing. Saw one in person and was thrown back by the size, has to be about a foot longer than the treg.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts