Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
took a day trip up to Wilbinga today, was good when I realised I'd forgot to turn off the ESP... DOH.

The track in was pretty good with some soft sandy patches with a few rocky out crops to negotiate. with the tyres at 1 bar (14 psi) I was crawling over the rocks.

the beach was very powdery and we had to snatch out an old nissan pathfinder who was stuck on the track.

had a picnic and a swim laughed quietly at other bogged vehicles, fortunaly we managed to get out without drama.

20151011_130519 - Copy.jpg 20151011_130522 - Copy.jpg

·
Learner
5,017 Posts
Nice one Ragman!

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Nice to see you showing compassion for other, even Nissan owners!

Stu...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thx guys, dam ESP button might have to put a big sign on the dash:-

"TURN ESP OFF"

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Been there done that.... Remember it defaults "ON" after a restart...

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes I know... one time it was bogging down, I hit the button and the car leaped forward, wify and I couldn't believe the difference.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Gets very soft at Wilbinga. seen many car come unstuck ( if you're forgive the pun)
Cheers Brent

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Looks pretty fine to me and no different from any other real sand beach driving.

Sorry Bhanna not picking or anything ....

Really .... what i see in all of this is driver experience and / or driver preparation. .... or lack of if people are coming up with probs

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Yes I know... one time it was bogging down, I hit the button and the car leaped forward, wify and I couldn't believe the difference.
Spot on. Even the best software cannot think outside the box. Sometimes on sand the best option is NOT what is expected. The "seat of the pants" is in some ways a more precise measuring tool for situations like this. Gut feeling and don't spare the horses.....I seen some very sophisticated 4x4 sytems effectively bog their driver in sand...Old school with a big Welly!!!

Stuart....

·
Registered
290 Posts
at the beach

No offence taken but unless you have driven there which i have it does caught out the very best at times. Very powdery. Especially at winter time.
Cheers Brent

·
Registered
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lots of 4wd's were having trouble, it was very powdery.
Some beeches like Esperance are almost like hardstand to drive on.

But yes Mr O it so much depends on technique.

stupid ESP button (Enter Sand Phaa)

·
Registered
28 Posts
My first time in sand, I also forgot to switch off esp. Touareg did not go forward or backward, just down into the sand. Guy with a Land cruizer recovered me.

·
Registered
290 Posts
at the beach

Think a few of us have been there to. It is not as though you are only dragging your diffs through the sand but the entire body underneath. I have learn to get my tyre pressures down a little earlier and to try as much as possible to avoid first gear by using tiptronic and starting in second.
Cheers Brent

1 - 13 of 13 Posts