Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finding that my 2016 Touareg is not stable going down the highway. It doesn't drift or pull one direction or another, but I require constant small corrections to the wheel while driving. I can only explain it as being jittery.

I have never experienced a vehicle that needs this much attention while driving at highway speeds. Is this considered normal for VW's? Is the steering so precise that I may be over correcting?

I've put on about 13,000Kms so far since purchasing it new in July, one would expect to adapt to a vehicles characteristics after this length of time.

Should I inquire about an alignment?

thanks
brian

·
Registered
411 Posts
Yes, get it aligned. I had an alignment done on my treg and the dialed in too much toe, have them set it closer to neutral. I also had the dial in more of the camber in the rear tires. Really helped gir the car a more planted feel on the road.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
4 wheel laser alignment should help.

You have checked the tire pressures when the tires are cold and not in direct sunlight [3 psi difference from dark side to sunny side even in our weak UK winter sunshine the other day!] and are running them at the recommended pressures on the door placard?

·
Registered
790 Posts
4 wheel laser alignment should help.

You have checked the tire pressures when the tires are cold and not in direct sunlight [3 psi difference from dark side to sunny side even in our weak UK winter sunshine the other day!] and are running them at the recommended pressures on the door placard?
+1

My previous two cars were built in Japan/Korea and shipped the long way round to the UK - both suffered from early wandering and it eventually became obvious that tyre wear was uneven - had full 12-axis laser alignment done on both, requiring considerable adjustment, and both then ran without any issues or further alignment issues.

During the alignment for the second car I discussed the issue with the alignment guys and they suggested that cars shipped long distances are strapped right down on their bump stops and the bushes don't get long enough to settle before a realignment is done at port of entry so are actually delivered out of spec.

Touaregs have a 1,000 mile rail journey across Europe to the North Sea port and then shipped to market - so I had mine aligned at 5,000 miles so nicely settled and some adjustments were necessary - immediately it held a straighter line and a faster turn-in response on corners.

I'd guess that Touaregs for Canada get the same rail trip across Europe, a ship through the North Sea and across the Atlantic and then another rail trip in North America - so may suffer the same issue.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I've done a few 1000km plus journey in mine and even with the OEM shocks and standard tyres it tracks nicely on the highway.

My other cars are a BMW and a SAAB.

I'd say you have too much toe out.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
My 2012 TDI and my wife's 2015 TDI are both pool table smooth in every condition.

I am on my third sent of tires and I just had a new set put on the wife's TDI and without needing to provide detailed instructions to the guys doing the work, we have had no issues at all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the advice folks. I've booked an appointment to have the alignment checked at my 15,000Kms service on Dec 13th. My dealer doesn't do alignments, and sends the vehicles to a local shop.

I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had to pull an enclosed cargo trailer yesterday, (6' x 8' x 6'), single axle, no brake system for 400Kms. The Touareg did not display any of the jittery traits with the trailer attached, loaded or empty. It was much nicer driving.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just got it back from it's first service. Two techs drove it and said there's nothing wrong. I did ask and was willing to pay for a 4 wheel alignment, (they take it to Ford dealer to have it done as they don't have the equipment). But the service rep explained that it's a 3 hr procedure to calibrate the lane departure, adaptive cruise, blind spot monitoring systems after an alignment and they also admitted to not having the special tools.

In the end I was disappointed that the alignment wasn't at least checked to confirm my suspicion, I think I'll take it to another VW dealership in one of the bigger cities if they have all the gear and have this checked.

The 2017 Wolfsburg Tiguan they loaned me didn't have the same jittery feel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts