Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I recently purchased my 2012 Touareg TDI a month ago. Before I bought it, I test drove several of them because I wanted the improved gas mileage. I didn't know about the "fix" or "post VW fix" and all that. I test drove about 5 of these 2011, 2012, 2013 TDI models. What I noticed is they all seemed to behave a little differently. Some seemed to have more power, while some less power and the transmissions on them also behaved differently too. I don't know how the fix was done on these by VW shops, but from the ones I test drove, I noticed power and shifting different in each. Hopefully a transmission tune and an ECM tune will help. I live in an emissions state for registration so I can't delete anything or will fail emissions and not be able to register the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
You listed Kerma on here as reputable, but I read in the first page, a website listing terrible reviews of their work. Was this another Kerma group because I am confused about it. I am on the fence about Kerma. I spoke to them over the phone, Chris I think was his name. Seemed quite knowledgeable and offered a discount as well. I don't want to drop in a Kerma to destroy my engine though.

I have called some euro diesel tuners and they all seemed to say that Kerma gives the Touareg the best power and the Malone stage 2 a conservative power response. I like the OP am not sure who to go with.
Like I stated. Most will max out parameters which in turn will put more wear and tear on the motor. A mild tune is best. I will be installing our seletron on the touareg TDI when I get it back from the dealer. 43+hp and 413ft/lb of torque is good enough for me, not to mention a good 10% gain in MPG. $575.00 for the seletron piggy back unit.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Never heard of Seletron, but the power numbers are interesting. I have a box on my BMW 335d (BMS JBD) and its always run pretty flawlessly; the only issue can be rail pressure, its you WOT when the car is cold (around the first 5 minutes driving). However I have a WIFI scan tool that I connect and clear the code on the fly.

Punch up a review if you install one, Alfissimo. I picked up a spare ECU for my Q7 to have cloned and tuned, but I'm thinking about just picking up a box for the ease, and quick removal aspect in the event of an unrelated issue popping up. Not to mention the tunes are so conservative, that the difference between a box and tune are nothing. I was watching BlueSpark, but the Cayenne's have been having more and more issues with them, after the fix was done here, and the lack of access for the BlueSpark group having access to properly retune their product (UK group). I then started looking at ChipWerke, but saw some people ran into the same 'chattering' that affected how the engine ran.

For the $575 are you including the Chipbox Connect?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I could be wrong but from some of the homework I have done so far, it would seem the Malone stage 2 or Kerma tunes for the Touareg TDI from 2018-2019 have been pretty stable. Plus with the box you restore the stock mode for dealership warranty work. My concern for these box set ups are intense heat or extreme cold conditions. A friend of mine has told me to do race chip and he has an app with it to dial in more off is iPhone. But I'm not sure if race chip box is just as good as a ECM tune. I'm new to all this so I'm learning all I can.

Thanks for all the useful content in this thread.

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
709 Posts
I could be wrong but from some of the homework I have done so far, it would seem the Malone stage 2 or Kerma tunes for the Touareg TDI from 2018-2019 have been pretty stable. Plus with the box you restore the stock mode for dealership warranty work. My concern for these box set ups are intense heat or extreme cold conditions. A friend of mine has told me to do race chip and he has an app with it to dial in more off is iPhone. But I'm not sure if race chip box is just as good as a ECM tune. I'm new to all this so I'm learning all I can.

Thanks for all the useful content in this thread.
https://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/kermatdi-tooele-utah-c432863.html

I don’t know if this is true or not, but I have been hearing this from many for years.

Regardless, any time you flash the ecu or other modules it leaves a trace that the dealer can see and your warranty could be voided. Best to not play around if you are worried about not being denied warranty coverage...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Unitronic also has a tune for the 3.0TDI, although not released on their website yet you can contact them or message me.

My Touareg Dynoed 292HP and 499 FT/LBS
My A6 TDI Dynoed 300HP and 527 FT/LBS

Tuned on MAHA Dyno at Unitronic headquarters in Montreal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I went to their website and it says for Touareg TDI 265hp and 463lbft torque. How did you get such high numbers? Is there another tune?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Those numbers apply to the 220 HP version of the 3.0TDI. There is another tune for the 240 HP versions. My cars were used for the tune development.
You can PM me if you need more info.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I have performance tunes on my two pre-dpf vehicles. Although neither of these tuned vehicles (one of which is a Malone tune) rolls coal, there is noticeable increase in the amount of soot in the exhaust in both vehicles. A performance tune on a DPF-equipped vehicle will likely shorten the life of the DPF, even if it does not appear to smoke. The only tuner out there that even talks about this is Gale Banks, and he does not make tunes for the 3.0 TDI. For this reason, I have kept my two DPF-equipped vehicles stock.

I know the solution a lot of people on this forum have taken. I personally feel that we all have a responsibility to minimize our damage to the environment and to prevent negative public perceptions of diesel powered vehicles; I realize that I am in a minority here and do not want to litigate this issue here. For those of you that elect to keep your emissions equipment, be careful with the tuner you select. If there are before/after pre-DPF particulate test results published by any tuner out there, I would be very interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with Race Chip? I am looking at the Race Chip RS for a 2012 3.0L T-reg TDI. I am primarily looking for something that is adjustable so that I can max out economy normally (my wife drives the T-reg and she doesn't care about the hp/tq gains). But I want to be able to crank it up when towing our camper. Race Chip has this adjustability, plus it costs about 1/2 what the other tuners are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone have any experience with Race Chip? I am looking at the Race Chip RS for a 2012 3.0L T-reg TDI. I am primarily looking for something that is adjustable so that I can max out economy normally (my wife drives the T-reg and she doesn't care about the hp/tq gains). But I want to be able to crank it up when towing our camper. Race Chip has this adjustability, plus it costs about 1/2 what the other tuners are.
Does anybody have any real world experience with Race Chip?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Shortly after the fix was released, a few people on the Cayenne forum tried them, with horrid results. No idea if they've eventually modified the programming to work 'post-fix', but it wasn't good at the time.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
24 Participants
Eskimo1
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing