Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I bought the Flashzilla and the Malone stage 1 for my 3L TDI Cayenne last month. I already have the TCU reflash, although I still have a DTC until I can figure out how to recode it.

The stage 1 is rather underwhelming. Up to 90% accelerator pedal it drives exactly the same as the post fix calibration. It still has the same drivability complaints during normal driving as the regular post-fix calibration. I really don't want to delete all the emissions just to make it drive like it used to. FE is also unchanged with the stage 1. The torque increase is noticeable and makes it a bit quicker, but not mind blowing.
In hindsight I'd save the $750 (FZ + stg 1 cal) and just keep it stock. I sent Malone a few emails asking about the changes and they were rather coy as to the drivability changes; now I understand why.
I believe the shifting issue is due to the TCM which has been addressed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hot whether still affects Malone tuned post-fix 3.0 TDI stage 2 the way it does a stock post-fix TDI. Noticeable difference when it's below 70 and above 70 degrees outside.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hot whether still affects Malone tuned post-fix 3.0 TDI stage 2 the way it does a stock post-fix TDI. Noticeable difference when it's below 70 and above 70 degrees outside.
What affect does hot weather have ? Is it a Malone specific effect or all tuned TDIs? I have a Malone Stage 2 on a TDI 3.0, wondering what I should be looking for.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Malone stage 1 delete and TCM flash.

A mild performance increase with greater reliability, and hopefully, longevity. Shifting and driving is about as close to pre-emissions fix as I remember.
I had the stage 2 loaded on the flashzilla too, which I tried. Noticeable gains, but for my driving I just can’t realize the performance gains on a regular basis so I left it at stage 1.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Multiple v10tdi owner
709 Posts
If you are in the USA on the east coast you should see if Rocketchip has something for you... Jeff is a genius at tuning and I have personally seen overlapping tunes to show the short cut others take when tuning. I personally haven’t tuned anything since the early 90’s but the tables are the same and I know the difference. Rocketchip is the way to go if you understand what you are buying.

·
Registered
71 Posts
..In hindsight I'd save the $750 (FZ + stg 1 cal) and just keep it stock. I sent Malone a few emails asking about the changes and they were rather coy as to the drivability changes; now I understand why.
Hahahaha

Tunes work best when there are lots of other engine mods to work with at the same time. Also, taking a car that is tuned for "regular" gas and tuning it to require "premium" will show some real gains, too. Neither of those conditions exist for the Touareg/Cayenne world. There aren't many engine mods and they already require premium gas.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Hahahaha

Tunes work best when there are lots of other engine mods to work with at the same time. Also, taking a car that is tuned for "regular" gas and tuning it to require "premium" will show some real gains, too. Neither of those conditions exist for the Touareg/Cayenne world. There aren't many engine mods and they already require premium gas.
Pretty sure the TDI doesn't need regular or premium gasoline.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The best way to know the difference is ce you have a gas Treg is find a friend with a tuned Malone stage 2 with deletes and personally experience the difference 🤔🤣

·
Registered
149 Posts
My stock 3.6 FSI vs a tuned 3.0 TDI.

Performance wise? I mean for starters, the Torque application of the TDI makes it a different beast all together. 240/406 vs 280/265 is a big difference and just think, you’re about 900.00 away from 300/480 on the TDI... literally a tune away.

I drove a couple 3.6 models before I ultimately picked the TDI. The gasser is great and the power was nice but the TDI is smooth and the TQ feels like a train building speed. Right now I’m averaging about 23-24mpg(combined driving), diesel here in Miami goes between $2.78-2.88 which almost .30 a gallon cheaper than 93.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My stock 3.6 FSI vs a tuned 3.0 TDI.
I can't tell you vs a tuned 3.0 TDI, but I traded my '15 3.6 FSI Lux in for a '16 3.0 TDI Lux, currently stock. The TDI feels and is quite a bit quicker, with a comparatively broad torque curve. The TDI is smoother, at all engine speeds, than the VR6, and so much more powerful. The power of the TDI comes on violently at times where the VR6 almost always felt like it was struggling. The one thing I liked more about the VR6 was the sound- when holding gear and decell'ing, it would bark and snort with wonderful noises and the TDI just doesn't do that. At times it feels like the torque of the TDI is bottomless. I'd say it can accelerate faster in top gear at half throttle than the VR6 can dropping to 6th and full throttle.
I never got better than 19 MPG (MFD) in my 3.6, and I typically get 28-30 MPG (MFD) in my TDI. Drop the hammer though, and it can convert Diesel to shrinking vehicles in your mirror at an alarming rate.
The best advice I can give you is to drive an FSI and TDI back to back. Even stock, the TDI difference is obvious.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Looking on the market at different tunes...I see Malone, APR, Vividracing, Kerma, RaceChip...

Many of those are names I don't know but my be Euro and I'm just dumb. Some have better prices...some have better websites (at explaining) the process.

I'm an IT guy so not to concerned about some of these software upgrade while others don't explain much.

What's your experience?

Wishful thinking: Someone needs to supply us with of each to test and review!
As long as it does not maximize the parameters you will be fine but I'd stick with well known ones. Kerma is a well known one. I also carry seletron. +43Hp on TDI's for example. 60Nm Tq.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Seletron is the only one TUV certified. CHIPBOX has been designed and manufactured with all the requirements for safety, according to the TÜV electromagnetic compatibility.

I know carry the entire line for touaregs. Let me know if you are interested? Seletron is the leading chipbox company in EU, all products are designed and tested in Italy. These are piggyback units that can be removed if needed.

All the others are not TUV certified which IMO makes it a safer aftermarket ECU upgrade. It's a pretty difficult process to get a TUV cert. TUV has nothing to do with performance. It's mainly a safety cert. For example all suspension components need a TUV cert to be allowable on EU roads. This is also a safety concern to the OEM electronic system and computers. No need to blow those up or have software from a 3rd party that can ruin your touareg or leave it inoperable. 43Hp is a nice gain for the 225hp hp TDI's. and 413.04 ft-lb of tq.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kerma, Malone, Rocket Chip are reputed ones ... all good and reliable.
You listed Kerma on here as reputable, but I read in the first page, a website listing terrible reviews of their work. Was this another Kerma group because I am confused about it. I am on the fence about Kerma. I spoke to them over the phone, Chris I think was his name. Seemed quite knowledgeable and offered a discount as well. I don't want to drop in a Kerma to destroy my engine though.

I have called some euro diesel tuners and they all seemed to say that Kerma gives the Touareg the best power and the Malone stage 2 a conservative power response. I like the OP am not sure who to go with.

21 - 40 of 58 Posts
About this Discussion
57 Replies
24 Participants
Eskimo1
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing