Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Touareg
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 Touareg is my first Diesel vehicle. Do fuel system additives work? Are they good for the engine or just another way to separate you from your money?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I use flash lube diesel conditioner only to add lubricity to the diesel to try and protect the HP pump
Any other claims don't seem to be real world and maybe the lubricant is only for piece of mind
Regards
Drag

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2019 Touareg is my first Diesel vehicle. Do fuel system additives work? Are they good for the engine or just another way to separate you from your money?
not sure about the engine but the fuel injector pump experts will tell you to stay away from any additives as the tolerences in the pump are so fine it can cause damage and its the most expensive item on a diesel

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
The entire USA crew runs diesel additives. Apparently our diesel really sucks.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
sulphur pretty much is non existant in our modern diesel because of emissions regulations. The sulphur was a lubricant ... go figure..

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
868 Posts
sulphur pretty much is non existant in our modern diesel because of emissions regulations. The sulphur was a lubricant ... go figure..
Yes sulphur is a lubricant - both petrol/gasoline and diesel requires to use ultra-low sulphur fuel when catalytic converters are fitted to reduce emissions with substitute lubricant additives added at the refinery, or more likely at final distribution depot.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
No harm in additional risk management via further lubriticity. Great to trust your petroleum company but do you know where you could be missing out with them ?? 1ml per Ltr on a diesel ... gonna risk your HPFP ? etc etc I exclusively use BP for this reaon from a consumer point of view but what else dont you know and will leave to the wind ...

·
Registered
2019 Touareg
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No harm in additional risk management via further lubriticity. Great to trust your petroleum company but do you know where you could be missing out with them ?? 1ml per Ltr on a diesel ... gonna risk your HPFP ? etc etc I exclusively use BP for this reaon from a consumer point of view but what else dont you know and will leave to the wind .
Other people also say they use BP exclusively. I just assumed that premium diesel from any of the big 4 suppliers in Aus would be OK. BP is a 10km round trip for me, Mobil and Caltex are just around the corner. Got me thinking now.

Wayne

·
Registered
868 Posts
No harm in additional risk management via further lubriticity. Great to trust your petroleum company but do you know where you could be missing out with them ?? 1ml per Ltr on a diesel ... gonna risk your HPFP ? etc etc I exclusively use BP for this reaon from a consumer point of view but what else dont you know and will leave to the wind ...
Check how fuel is distributed in your region - in the UK, it's distributed around the country from refineries and ports by underground pipelines to local storage depots - where the COMMON fuel is loaded onto road tankers and tanker to filling stations - the brand specific additive package is only added when the fuel is transferred from road tanker to filling station tank - the same road tanker may resupply several branded or supermarket filling stations.

·
Registered
202 Posts
You're gonna get the full gamut of opinions. Not alot of definitive evidence out there for or against. Alot of the anecdotal evidence is on Non-DEF'd, Non-SCR'd, Non-CR Injection Pumps. If you do decide to use additives, make sure they are compatible with the systems on your vehicle- this is not your old PowerStroke that gobbled Slick50 and pissed Marvel Mystery Oil.
I like Liqui Moly products, specifically DieselPurge and Super Diesel additive with every Fuel Filter change, following the directions. DieselPurge has a very long history with great, safe results on newer Diesels as well. LM tests their products extensively, and are great at answering product application questions.
I've personally had great success with DieselPurge, probably the closest thing to a miracle cure for 'sick Diesels' there is and a good preventative.

·
Registered
2014 Audi Q7 TDI
208 Posts
People use additives because the poor design of the Bosch CP4 HPFP, if we had a CP3 HPFP on our Common Rails I think far less people would be doing it.

I've only ever poured one thing into my fuel tank and actually noticed good results from and thats BG245, it fixed up a clogged up injector that had formed within half a tank despite other treatments that I had been doing.

·
Registered
281 Posts
My empirical data: Volkswagen PD (BEW) engine 200,000 miles, no additive, no issues . Ford 7.3L DI 190,000 miles, no additive, no issues. Duramax LMM required injector replacement at 180,000 miles with no additive. 2016 CRNB, 90,000 miles, Stanadyne lubricity formula from new, no issues.

Following the injector replacement on the Duramax at 180,000 miles about 18 months ago, I have started using the Stanadyne Lubricity Formula in all of my diesels, not just the Touareg. I hadn't used it in the past (aside from the Touareg) because it had been implicated in fuel tank delamination in Ford Powerstrokes. The plastic fuel tanks in most cars these days has alleviated that concern in everything but the Ford.

If there is one unique about my vehicles, they run about 40% of the time on 100% #1 diesel due to our location about 200 miles south of the Arctic Circle. #1 diesel has a scar rating anywhere from 100 to 200 points higher than #2 diesel. I realize the CP4 is necessary to maintain performance and emissions compliance, but I understand that it has tighter tolerances than the fuel pump in my 1980s vintage tractor. As such I am not expecting 400,000 miles out of the HPFP. So far, I have no complaints about the CP4 and it has been sucking down the (fortified) #1 diesel without any issues. If that changes, I'll report it here. I'll likely consider a proactive HPFP change between 160,000 and 200,000 miles if it doesn't give me problems before then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I wish there was a simple yes or know to this question. Will we ever know? Having unclogged a couple of inlet manifolds, turbos and EGR components on lesser vehicles that were coated with more gunk than the inside of a coal miners jock strap it would be nice to find an additive that prevents this as claimed by many.
In WA very little fuel does not come out of the Kwinana BP refinery and tankers deliver straight to their fuel stations. Again it would be nice to know if any improve their diesel with additives, I imagine this would have to be done at the refinery. Does anyone have any inside knowledge?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I wish there was a simple yes or know to this question. Will we ever know? Having unclogged a couple of inlet manifolds, turbos and EGR components on lesser vehicles that were coated with more gunk than the inside of a coal miners jock strap it would be nice to find an additive that prevents this as claimed by many.
In WA very little fuel does not come out of the Kwinana BP refinery and tankers deliver straight to their fuel stations. Again it would be nice to know if any improve their diesel with additives, I imagine this would have to be done at the refinery. Does anyone have any inside knowledge?
The gunk has nothing to do with the fuel that's all EGR ****
Regards
Drag

·
Registered
8 Posts
The gunk has nothing to do with the fuel that's all EGR ****
Regards
Drag
Agree, EGR delete is tempting, but the additives often claim to reduce the build up and if they do are they causing damage to other components. The original question remains, should we use fuel additives or not?

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Agree, EGR delete is tempting, but the additives often claim to reduce the build up and if they do are they causing damage to other components. The original question remains, should we use fuel additives or not?
Simple answer I do as I said at the start for the HP pump
Regards
Drag

·
Registered
868 Posts
The additives may be added when the fuel is transferred from the road tanker to the filling station - that's how it's done in the UK.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
BG ... would you put you trust in "maybe" .... even if they who of us here knows what they are and in what %

·
Registered
868 Posts
BG ... would you put you trust in "maybe" .... even if they who of us here knows what they are and in what %
Not sure I understand your question - there's no public knowledge of what any of the additive packages actually contain - the European standards used for road fuel specify certain minimum cleaners and lubricity agents - whether big brand fuel has more or better additives is simply not known.

Do you accept marketing BS?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts