Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am looking at a used V6 TDI 7P Auto 4XMOTION MY12, but it has just over 200,000 km on the clock.

That's more than my current car, and in the past I only ever purchased cars with no more than 100,000km on the clock.

However it perfectly fits my needs. I am just wondering if this is too much km to consider reasonable in terms of upcoming repairs and so on?

Has been regularly services and no offroad use as far as I can tell.

Anything specific to look out for or just get another one with less km and fewer option packs?

Thanks for any advice, it will be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Steffan

·
Registered
444 Posts
That's only 124,000 miles. You didn't list what year it was.

With any used car, you want to look at previous owners, maintenance, etc.

I currently drive a touareg with 142,000 miles on it. It was a two owner car. Good maintenance records. I've had zero problems out of it.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
He does say MY 12 which I assume means 2012. However, the part of the world he lives in (it isn't USA if he uses km) may make a big difference. It really DOES help if we know where, geographically, he is because that usually has a heavy influence on our response - or not.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi,

Ours has done 150,000kms now,

Ive had a few small issues like flap motor arm ~$40 fixed myself
centre bearing ~$500 fixed myself
sensor for DPF faulty $300 fixed at dealer.
handbrake lever snapped- fixed myself. $55
Brakes done on the frount maintenance $400 did myself
other than that its been solid, Im the 2nd owner and we go camping up the beach etc so it gets used.
My AC has stopped over xmas so I will look at that next week.:(

Id say to anyone that its better if you are handy to own these cars as you can save a heap.But not essential either. You are getting alot of car for the money so you have already saved on depreciation, a few repairs doesnt matter in my mind

They area an awesome car and if you want to go camping etc they go really well.

·
Registered
22 Posts
The mileage alone wouldn't deter me; I own two Tregs, both a lot older than 2011, and one with (as it happens) exactly 200k KM (124k miles). It's the more trouble-free of the two. If on inspection your prospective purchase is mechanically sound, has been decently cared for, and fits your needs, (and of course the price is right), I wouldn't hesitate to buy it.

Zumkopf
'06 Treg V8 124k
'04 Treg V8 62k

·
Registered
70 Posts
My personal opinion is that year is more relevant than mileage, mainly because age tends to have a more negative effect on mechanical things than mileage alone. Things like rust, worn out rubber components (hoses, belts, seals, weatherstripping, etc.), general corrosion of components, and so on. Of course this is environment dependent; I don't imagine you have the same corrosion issues in Australia that we in Canada experience.

Those more familiar with TDI-specific problems may chime in (of course you should do your own homework if you haven't already), but I wouldn't consider 200k KM a problem. Heck, most of the 09-10 TDIs around here are over 200k+ and the dealers/private sellers are still asking an arm and a leg for them (a lot of them "base" models too; few people seem to know the difference between leather and vinyl, anyways).

My experience with Volkswagens (vehicles in general, really, but VWs stand out) is that if you take care of them, they will go the distance. If it checks out mechanically (preferably with history, as your post seems to indicate it does) and the price is right, I'd say go for it. There should be lots of life left in a 2012 TDI with 200k on it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Just bought my first Touareg with 257,000 km on it... 2006... We'll see how it goes! I just charged all fluids, and will watch the centre bearing. (Rubber has some play)

I do need to replace the center vent flap... (102) Can it be accessed from the side?

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts