Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I think, but am not certain, that the wireless controller would bypass all of the excellent built-in features of tow mode within the ECU and tcu.

·
Registered
875 Posts
A good rule of thumb for towing is if the trailer is OVER 1650 pounds, it SHOULD have electric trailer brakes. And if a trailer has electric brakes, then you MUST have a brake controller installed in your tow vehicle so it can control the trailer brakes. I rent my toy hauler, and you wouldn't believe how many pickup truck owners think they don't need a trailer brake controller because they have a truck. Turned away quite a few requests for rental.

The Prodigy RF, Prodigy P3, etc, whichever brand/model brake controller suite your needs best. I went with a Prodigy P3 back in 2012 and still use it to this day. Transferred it from my 2003 4Runner to the 2013 Touareg. I did have to make the connector adapter using VW electrical parts, but the actual wiring and socket was already behind the dash. I also had to buy the 7 pin socket and install it at the rear (Pollak 11-893P RV 7-Way Socket - $13 ), which I though was really odd that the wiring and receiver was factory installed on my Touareg, but NO socket, just a blank cover plate over the spot the socket belonged. Weird.

Drive safe!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here a pic of my knee and my controller. I've never once even come close to hitting it with anything (although, I usually remove my snowshoes before I drive)..... Especially not my knee.

Also, unplugging the 4 wire harness out of the controller if I want to move it to another vehicle and uncoupling it from its bracket isn't much more difficult than you unplugging your RF from the 12v power socket.

Did I mention that a wired setup probably costs 20% of what your RF did?
Each to their own.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just bought a wireless for the Touareg. I have bought 3 different brake controllers for 3 different tow rigs over the last 5 years and now I'm done. Now I have one brake controller I can move from any vehicle I own or even borrow. It wasn't even twice (I think it was $215) as much as any of the previous 3 I bought and you don't have to do any wiring whatsoever.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Here a pic of my knee and my controller. I've never once even come close to hitting it with anything (although, I usually remove my snowshoes before I drive)..... Especially not my knee.

Also, unplugging the 4 wire harness out of the controller if I want to move it to another vehicle and uncoupling it from its bracket isn't much more difficult than you unplugging your RF from the 12v power socket.

Did I mention that a wired setup probably costs 20% of what your RF did?
Thanks, What controller brand -model are you using ?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I just bought a wireless for the Touareg. I have bought 3 different brake controllers for 3 different tow rigs over the last 5 years and now I'm done. Now I have one brake controller I can move from any vehicle I own or even borrow. It wasn't even twice (I think it was $215) as much as any of the previous 3 I bought and you don't have to do any wiring whatsoever.
which brand model controller are you using ?

·
Registered
1,278 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
It plugs into the 12V receptacle. The vehicle already has the trailer module which:
  • Integrates into the car's CANBUS, it is responsible for the lights, and light bulb monitoring (will tell you if any burnt bulbs, it will adjust transmission shift points when you have a trailer connected
  • protects your trailer from being stolen with the car's alarm, adjusts ESP to account that you have a trailer connected, manages electrical brakes, etc.
This module is connected to the electrical system and fused with 30A fuses, from it, a wire goes to the 7 pin connector where rear hitch will go.
At the front of the vehicle, where the e brake pedal is, you will have a pre-wired electrical brake controller harness to hook up any electrical brake controller. Using the RF unit does not negate any of the functions available from the trailer module.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Interesting, then why use a wireless unit if it mounts much the same way anyways

·
Registered
10 Posts
which brand model controller are you using ?
The Curt Echo 51180

there is nothing in the car, it's all handled at the trailer connector. I also got the Curt 57003 which makes it so you can come out of the VW and correct the downward angle, put the brake controller higher, and that also corrects for any LED trailer light issues. The only thing you have to worry about is theft, but that's a constant with all kinds of camper gear. ($26 on Jegs.com is the best price I found, and was free shipping with the $225 brake controller)

·
Registered
10 Posts
ekonsha 90160 Prim
I think, but am not certain, that the wireless controller would bypass all of the excellent built-in features of tow mode within the ECU and tcu.
I know when mine is hooked up it shows the trailer icon or whatever it is on the dash. Also the rear hatch no longer opens with the power button. So it knows a trailer is hooked up.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Ease in moving hand controller from vehicle to vehicle, ease in using hand controller and I like it. I've used it in 3 vehicles since 2016.
However, unlike you, I can drop my trailer off and\or hookup to another trailer with my setup and just go... sure I might have to click up\down the setting if it's significantly different than mine, but if you had to do that, you'd have to transfer everything onto the new trailer first.

It all comes down to what you are potentially faced with most often. Do you always tow the same trailer with different vehicles? Or are you more likely to tow different trailers with the same vehicle? If you have basic DIY skills, using the existing under dash OEM plug is NOT hard at all.

Lots of us have already "figured" it out, and there are tons of posts on how to do it, what you need to buy, etc.
If you can use the search bar or if you can type a question, there's a good chance that someone will help you sort it out.

·
Registered
875 Posts
I've never seen a trailer icon on my 2013 TDI. But it came with the factory receiver and wiring. VCDS shows the trailer module as well. My rear hatch will not open under power when a trailer is connected. I can pop the lid, but hace to move it by hand. Disconnect the trailer, and it functions again.

What Touareg model year shows a trailer on the display when a trailer is connected?

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
My '14 does. You can also override the hatch operation in VCDS if you wish. I've done it on mine and it works just as usual, trailer or no trailer hooked up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I can't remember exactly but I think it's a orange light bulb looking warning on the dash. I think something also shows up on the touchscreen when you go into reverse with a trailer, like a big fake trailer instead of the proximity alarms. I don't have a backup camera, just the parking sensors.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. That’s very helpful.
Do you recall the tongue weight in the hitch. Did you feel the need for a brake controller on relatively flat ground ? I was looking at the curt echo Bluetooth controller but can’t seem to find a lot of Touareg reviews on it.
i will second what I found here. The Curt Echo Bluetooth works very well. Has decent controllability, plugged right in, and paired easily with my phone. I think retail was $200 ish. I bought at Advance Auto with a 20% coupon. So not terribly much more than the tekonsha p3.

I don't have the factory wiring functional (long story - see my various posts). So i ended up with all the wires at the 7 pin connector, but without the wiring from the 4 pin connector under the dash designed for the controller.

If you have the factory wiring, it isn't terribly hard to install the brake controller. Lots of writeups on how to do this. The redarc looks sweet with its low profile install (avoiding issues of hitting on knee).

But the Curt is a nice unit. Downside is that it pushes your connector a few inches towards the ground, so if towing off road etc it might be an issue.

As for towing. I have the gas engine, and tow a 4000 lb trailer without hassle. Going up steep inclines (such as 7-10% grade) slowed it down a bit. But able to keep up on the interstates in the Mountain west. Went on a trip with two other rvs (a Class A, and 5th Wheel with 1 ton dually diesel), and I had to slow it down quite a bit to not get ahead of them. Gas mileage is not great. Went from my usual 20 to under 10. It requires a bit more attention to gear selection (** this probably does not apply if using factory tow settings_) but I was never concerned about being a traffic hazard.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts