Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, We are looking to buy a airstream basecamp and wondering if anyone has experience pulling one.
I have the factory tow package and have never used it other than for bike racks. No expletive towing a trailer either.
I am wondering if I need a brake controller, any updates to the hitch ,sway bar, electrical and software ?

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Lots of people tow way bigger\heavier than a basecamp. See this

The basecamp is light, so your V6 Gasser will do just fine. From what recall, it still has brakes, so you will need to add a brake controller in order to "apply them".

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You can also read this as there will be lots of opinions\experiences in there

·
Registered
2013 T3 Sport V6
50 Posts
I'm fixing to pull a double axle 6x12 moving trailer 1300 miles.... I'll update you guys on that when it's done. Although I highly doubt there will be problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Lots of people tow way bigger\heavier than a basecamp. See this

The basecamp is light, so your V6 Gasser will do just fine. From what recall, it still has brakes, so you will need to add a brake controller in order to "apply them".
Thanks TurboABA

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm fixing to pull a double axle 6x12 moving trailer 1300 miles.... I'll update you guys on that when it's done. Although I highly doubt there will be problems.
Looking forward to updates on your trip.

·
Registered
8 Posts
We towed a Sonic Lite 168VRB which is about 3900 lbs with our 2016 V6. I use a Prodigy RF brake controller which is "plug and play". Touareg tows well, is stable and brakes well with our trailer. Mileage towing is 15-17 litres/100km. Because I towed from the dealer to our seasonal site (3 hour trip) I did not have weight distribution and didn't feel I needed it. If towing regularly, I would consider getting weight distribution.
IMG_3134.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
We towed a Sonic Lite 168VRB which is about 3900 lbs with our 2016 V6. I use a Prodigy RF brake controller which is "plug and play". Touareg tows well, is stable and brakes well with our trailer. Mileage towing is 15-17 litres/100km. Because I towed from the dealer to our seasonal site (3 hour trip) I did not have weight distribution and didn't feel I needed it. If towing regularly, I would consider getting weight distribution. View attachment 240425
Thanks. That’s very helpful.
Do you recall the tongue weight in the hitch. Did you feel the need for a brake controller on relatively flat ground ? I was looking at the curt echo Bluetooth controller but can’t seem to find a lot of Touareg reviews on it.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
You don't run a brake controller because you feel the need for it... It's a requirement once the trailer is a certain weight.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Do you recal the tongue weight in the hitch. Did you feel the need for a brake controller on relatively flat ground ? I was looking at the curt echo Bluetooth controller but can’t seem to find a lot of Touareg reviews on it.
Tongue weight is approx. 400 libs on our Sonic Lite
Do you recal the tongue weight in the hitch. Did you feel the need for a brake controller on relatively flat ground ? I was looking at the curt echo Bluetooth controller but can’t seem to find a lot of Touareg reviews on it.
Factory spec says 300 lbs but realistically loaded it is approx. 400 lbs. Definitely need a break controller. Our RF model is on the expensive side but because it is plug and play, it was easy when we changed out vehicles from Tiguan to Touareg in August. No wires to run or screws in the dash.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You don't run a brake controller because you feel the need for it... It's a requirement once the trailer is a certain weight.
Thanks, I absolutely did not know that. Back to hunting for the right brake controller. Lots of positive review on Prodigy on the forum. Maybe the direction I end up going.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Waste of money since you have the tow package, but whatever works for you.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I'm saying that getting a wireless one is a waste when you are already prewired from factory. (Unless I misunderstood and you're not after the RF one)

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Do you recall the tongue weight in the hitch. Did you feel the need for a brake controller on relatively flat ground ? I was looking at the curt echo Bluetooth controller but can’t seem to find a lot of Touareg reviews on it.

Legally, in the usa anyhow, you need one. But I can tell you that in certain circumstance that one time while I was towing my 5,000 lb boat it turned out there was no auxiliary braking working and honestly the toaureg brakes are so powerful that I had no idea my auxiliary braking wasn't working. But you definitely want brakes installed in operational. Like turbo ABA said there is already a pre-wired connection under the dash which will integrate with your built-in tow mode and tow module properly

Reactions: Amit

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm saying that getting a wireless one is a waste when you are already prewired from factory. (Unless I misunderstood and you're not after the RF one)
Wireless makes it easy to move from vehicle to vehicle plus no controller under the dash screwed in and at the knee.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Wireless makes it easy to move from vehicle to vehicle plus no controller under the dash screwed in and at the knee.
Here a pic of my knee and my controller. I've never once even come close to hitting it with anything (although, I usually remove my snowshoes before I drive)..... Especially not my knee.

Also, unplugging the 4 wire harness out of the controller if I want to move it to another vehicle and uncoupling it from its bracket isn't much more difficult than you unplugging your RF from the 12v power socket.

Did I mention that a wired setup probably costs 20% of what your RF did?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts