Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up the Treg from vw for the emissions fix, and will be attempting to go Malone stage 2 with dpf delete. My only concern is that I have not seen or heard of anyone successfully tuning anything later than a 13'. I know Malone has the 14+ listed but the only information I can find online is problems getting into the ecu.

In case you guys are wondering there is a noticable decrease in power which feels to me like a decrease in boost, as well as much lower MPG.

I do appreciate the $$$$$ they gave me so I can make my diesel dirty again though... Thanks guys!

· Registered
64 Posts
Give the guys a call (Malone) or shoot them an emails they respond very quickly and are very helpful. Ours is a 2012, Malone installed a Stage 2.0 and I installed a Rawtek exhaust that removes the DPF and SCR canisters. The DPF injector stays in place it connects to a blank fitting so if you wanted to hook up the system at a later date it’s possible. The exhaust is fully bolt on and replaces the mid pipe section removing forenoted. Together this system has worked awesome noticeably more felt power and a slight increase in fuel economy. Exhaust note is change not really noticeable from inside the cabin. The engine redesign for the 13-14 according to Malone will really benefit from their tunes compared to 2012s, read significant gains in HP and Torque. Rawtek exhaust is a top drawer item fit finish is well thought out, craftsmanship is superb, made in Canada with US stainless steel.

I’ve had the exhaust and 2.0 file on since late this fall and am very pleased would do it again.

I’d recommend getting Stage 2.0 and Rawtek exhaust, you’ll be pleased with results for sure.

j

· Registered
64 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Do you just have the dpf delete pipe or a complete turbo back exhaust?
Downpipe is stock, then Rawtek replaces the DPF canister as well as the SCR canister, with a straight pipe then hooks back into stock exhaust into suitcase muffler in rear. It would be a mid pipe replacement that deletes the DPF and SCR.

j

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Figured that.

Spoke with the tuner today and he said the way it works on the 14+ is that a file is taken from the individual vehicle, sent to Malone, Malone gets it and writes a tune specific for the vehicle which then gets sent back to the shop to be flashed...

· Registered
215 Posts
OP: where are you located? looks like a CT plate in your avatar picture?

Anyway, interested in results. Will likely be going the same route. Would love to figure out a downpipe too while this is all happening..

· Registered
554 Posts
id contact jr autotuning personally, ob2 tune you can do it in your lane..huge gains all around. 80k never a hiccup and ive never been in a faster touareg

· Registered
67 Posts
If the 2014 power gains are similar to the 240hp 3.0 V6 figures shown on their website.. you'll DEFINITELY notice an extra 100lb-ft of torque and 76hp. That's 25 and 31.6%, respectively.

Personally if I were towing I'd be looking at the stage 1 instead. Pushing the turbo that hard (stage 2) for extended periods would make me nervous. Again this is my opinion. But that much extra power/torque is not insignificant, and it WILL come with a wear & tear penalty.

· Registered
64 Posts
Is the performance difference noticable? How about the sound? Obviously this is not a performance vehicle, but I do alot of towing with it and could use the extra power...
MY2012 Malone Stage 2 with Rawtek noticeable yes..... wouldn’t do tune only, greatest benefit if you delete the restrictive flow of DPR and SCR. Would do it again, for sure. As I live relatively close to Malone I opted to drive down to their shop near Vancouver, BC Canada (3.0 hours) and had them install the tune. I did the Rawtek exhaust after I got it home, significant increase in performance. Sound is not noticeably different inside cabin, outside not really sure, perhaps a little more growl.

The MY 13-14s see a lot more ponies and torque and you would most certainly feel a difference, 100 HP and tons more torque..... might make you rethink performance vehicle at 5000lbs...

For towing pending how much weight, above sea level and geography, steep mountains etc., you should discuss with Malone.

j

· Registered
67 Posts
100hp is correct.. I was looking at the stage 1 numbers.

So 42% more power and 32% more torque.

My malone tuned jetta had high EGTs at WOT despite a bigger turbo, FMIC, rawtek exhaust, etc.

I'd bet stage 2 towing EGTs will be unsustainable, even with the lower exhaust restriction. A gauge would be a good idea if you go that route.

· Registered
554 Posts
100hp is correct.. I was looking at the stage 1 numbers.

So 42% more power and 32% more torque.

My malone tuned jetta had high EGTs at WOT despite a bigger turbo, FMIC, rawtek exhaust, etc.

I'd bet stage 2 towing EGTs will be unsustainable, even with the lower exhaust restriction. A gauge would be a good idea if you go that route.
i dont know about malone but my jr tune has no issues, i have logged plenty of vagcom runs towing, driving excessively hard and the touareg has far less egts then my stage 3.6 cr jetta did....and i towed with my jetta and ran it hard, over rode the egt limiters and its got almost 300k on it and it still pulls like a train. 80k on this with stage 3 and it doesnt have any issues anywhere, even on stage 2.5 with stock turbo egts were fine. So many people are scared of the egts for no reason, my tuner is buzzken and he personally set my treg up and its a rocket.

· Registered
67 Posts
So many people are scared of the egts for no reason,
People are scared of EGTs because you can destroy a piston, turbo, or other exhaust parts.. if EGTs didn't matter there wouldn't be built-in limiters to keep things from literally melting.

It is widely regarded as a good idea for any diesel vehicle that is tuned to run an EGT gauge while doing sustained high-HP work. This is because EGTs matter if you want to avoid damage. Cruising along a flat road at 70 likely won't be an issue (same power demands as stock, only in this case less exhaust restriction) but try to pull Vail pass with all of that extra power/fuel/boost/heat for however long it takes?

Plus, as far as I can tell the turbo on the 3.0 TDI is not water cooled like what comes on basically every duramax/cummins/powerstroke or other industrial diesel designed to work hard for extended periods of time. Those engines generally also have mechanical fans that pull lots of fresh air through the intercooler core to help lower charge temps.. the touareg does not. Again, at 70 this probably isn't an issue, but as vehicle speeds lower the ability to keep charge temps down lowers as well and this will increase EGTs dramatically.

I trust Malone a LOT to develop tunes that are safe, but IMO it is still unwise to subject an engine designed for a given safe/reliable horsepower to such a big jump in power without the ability to monitor what is going on. That could mean keeping an eye on things with VCDS instead of doing a hack install of an EGT gauge.. but at least it is being watched.

· Registered
64 Posts
In speaking with the guys at Malone, I questioned how their files accounted for excessive EGTs and if I needed a probe and EGT gauge. Coming from 7.3 powerstrokes with lots of mods on them, EGT probe right in the exhaust manifold is a prudent option to monitor EGTs pre turbo... They said not to worry as there are enough safeguards with OEM sensors, that if things headed to high side of operating temps the programming would defuel to keep heat in check. As I recall programming monitores EGT, antifreeze temp, oil temp, air temp and not sure what else. Suffice to say I’m not too worried.

j

· Registered
554 Posts
People are scared of EGTs because you can destroy a piston, turbo, or other exhaust parts.. if EGTs didn't matter there wouldn't be built-in limiters to keep things from literally melting.

It is widely regarded as a good idea for any diesel vehicle that is tuned to run an EGT gauge while doing sustained high-HP work. This is because EGTs matter if you want to avoid damage. Cruising along a flat road at 70 likely won't be an issue (same power demands as stock, only in this case less exhaust restriction) but try to pull Vail pass with all of that extra power/fuel/boost/heat for however long it takes?

Plus, as far as I can tell the turbo on the 3.0 TDI is not water cooled like what comes on basically every duramax/cummins/powerstroke or other industrial diesel designed to work hard for extended periods of time. Those engines generally also have mechanical fans that pull lots of fresh air through the intercooler core to help lower charge temps.. the touareg does not. Again, at 70 this probably isn't an issue, but as vehicle speeds lower the ability to keep charge temps down lowers as well and this will increase EGTs dramatically.

I trust Malone a LOT to develop tunes that are safe, but IMO it is still unwise to subject an engine designed for a given safe/reliable horsepower to such a big jump in power without the ability to monitor what is going on. That could mean keeping an eye on things with VCDS instead of doing a hack install of an EGT gauge.. but at least it is being watched.
like i said over dramatic, my tuner is the best in the area and has been working with malone and jrauto for along time...not to mention tunes bmws and other euros in fact his diesel x5 is over 500hp monster that he tows a 30 ft camper with.

Like i said youd be hard pressed to push a car harder then i do, my stage 3.6 common rail jetta has ran open egt limiter for 4 years and has towed all the following...and is now pushing little over 300k with never a single issue. Towing those sled trailers loaded 6 hours straight going up a fairly steady elevation change and i drove fast...as i always do. Never a single issue...touareg the same thing and like i said time and time again we have ran full vcds log runs again and again never even get close to the egt limiter. You do as you please, but this isnt an issue ive been running this setup for over 2 years of hard driving and im more modded then anyone else

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.