Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I recently got a OBD11 pro and found some instructions on their forum for enabling wireless carplay on the CR models.
People seem to be having varying success in getting it going.
I have a 2019 Launch with Innovision and can't get it to work.
The thread is here Wireless Carplay | OBDeleven
Unfortunately the thread is quite fragmented and it's hard to amalgamate all the steps that are required.
I've posted a more details description on that post of what's going on, but just thought I'd check with the guru's here first.
Thanks
DS

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi
I recently got a OBD11 pro and found some instructions on their forum for enabling wireless carplay on the CR models.
People seem to be having varying success in getting it going.
I have a 2019 Launch with Innovision and can't get it to work.
The thread is here Wireless Carplay | OBDeleven
Unfortunately the thread is quite fragmented and it's hard to amalgamate all the steps that are required.
I've posted a more details description on that post of what's going on, but just thought I'd check with the guru's here first.
Thanks
DS
I too have tried and failed many many times with OBD11

·
Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,215 Posts
Best to get an aftermarket dongle to have wireless, those instructions don't work for the CR as far as I know

·
Learner
6,215 Posts
I also tried the dongle thing and didn’t work in the treg but did work in a golf and Hyundai
all depends which one you get, better ones are motorola and AA. works a treat.

·
Learner
6,215 Posts
Firmware, hence dongles(some) work well. Can't complain about the AA wireless dongle, connect it and hide it away. Cheap upgrade for $150

Reactions: evaddirb and Elb91

·
Registered
711 Posts
I got it working with coding early in the piece, no problems.Then I updated the firmware to the latest & could not get it to go after that.
Bought Car2Play dongle now and works seamlessly

Reactions: Singh

·
Premium Member
MY21 V8 R-Line Grey
128 Posts
I got an Ottocast 2-in-1 unit.

What I like:
  • does wireless Apple Carplay and Android Auto in one unit (I'm android, wife's apple).
  • plug it in under the armrest and forget about it.

What I don't like so much:
  • As it's an emulator it has to make some assumptions. It defaulted to left hand drive mode so the home button etc was on the wrong side. Easily overridden in android auto settings on the phone.
  • Resolution isn't as high as direct wire connection. It's usable, but slightly more "fuzzy" at the size it appears on the big screen. Adjusting Android Auto resolution on the phone makes no difference, because it's the dongle doing the rendering not the phone.
  • Not sure how quickly it'll be updated as new carplay/android auto features come out. I'm not sure how much the phone does vs how much the dongle (emulator) does... and firmware updates are a manual process.

Interestingly, although this unit does both apple and android, its emulator presents to the car as Carplay either way. So if you don't have wired Carplay then this dongle won't work at all. Not an issue in this case.

All in all though I'm happy with it, especially for shorter runs where I don't need to charge. Just leave the phone in your pocket and all's good :)
(I'd have been even happier if this was a standard feature of the car....)

·
Learner
6,215 Posts
@Vne in my case it's android only so that's a downside for Apple folks but everything else is spot on, the resolution is even better(changeable), it's smooth, sound is pretty good from the music apps, etc. And steering side can be altered if required and all up a pretty responsive unit.

VW could update the firmware to enable this natively but we know that's unlikely to happen

·
Premium Member
MY21 V8 R-Line Grey
128 Posts
Off-topic but it's interesting how VW position their stuff in the market vs VAG's more premium brands.
We know that the treg is basically a Q7 mechanically. So what are points of differentiation between VW and Audi...
I friend of mine just bought a nearly new Q7 50TDi. It has online traffic, hybrid radio etc... so if you want that stuff, you have to go 'premium', i.e. Audi.

I guess if this is a VAG strategy, then they'll always keep some stuff away from VW models to make the Audi equivalent etc more appealing. Even if it's just a software switch.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Off-topic but it's interesting how VW position their stuff in the market vs VAG's more premium brands.
We know that the treg is basically a Q7 mechanically. So what are points of differentiation between VW and Audi...
I friend of mine just bought a nearly new Q7 50TDi. It has online traffic, hybrid radio etc... so if you want that stuff, you have to go 'premium', i.e. Audi.

I guess if this is a VAG strategy, then they'll always keep some stuff away from VW models to make the Audi equivalent etc more appealing. Even if it's just a software switch.
How much did your friend pay for the Q7?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts