Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
I think my earlier recommendation of picking up a good example of a late model R-Line V8 TDi (fully loaded) may be the way to go, rather than picking up the latest model.

You can save the difference and buy brand new Golf GTi or even a Golf R as a fun second car.
:surprise:

·
Registered
14 Posts
We got our Launch Edition the day it was officially released.......and LOVE IT!! Currently ticked over 3000kms.

We ticked all options -Innovision, Pano and Reef Blue -all up the MSSRP was $114k drive away. We traded our 2015 with 40,0000km. Interestingly, like the previous 2 we have bought new, there is a lot of wriggle room on the options, so for example the Innovision pack is listed at $8k, we paid just over $4k, pano roof listed at $3k, we paid under $2k similar for metallic paint.

This is our third new Touareg -1st 2009 V6TDI, 2nd 2015 V6 TDI 180 and now this beauty. We've completed a decent long distance trip to Port Macquarie and the car is an absolute joy to drive. There is a distinct step up to the driving dynamics from our 2015 (not sure if this is due to the MLB platform) but it is great. Feels like it has way more grunt (reality is only an extra 50nm torque and 10KW). The safety systems are brilliant. The interior quality is also an improvement over the last model (I was a fan of the timber inlays and have learned to get used to the R line like metallic and gloss black finishes). The interior of the car is something to behold at night - simply breathtaking and fully customisable down to the smallest element. I was down in the car last night, setting my wife's preference on the digital cockpit and found new features. The navigation is unbelievable, with directions and street names being projected on the HUD!!!! The matrix lights are truly amazing - on our recent trip to Port, we left in the dark, so easy to see the lights blocking out the vehicles in front (either travelling in the same direction or oncoming) - you have to see it working to believe it! Seats are great as we are used to in these cars, however now with massage function and customisable side, base and leg extension bolsters they are even better. Auto park is another feature new to the Aust Touaregs and it works a treat,

Disappointed that the launch addition doesn't have area view like our 2015 - seems like a stingy saving of 3 cameras to not have this feature- I note that this will be included in the Comfort Pack of the next model.

I still find myself heading out to the garage at night to admire the car and those lines - the exterior body shape is sharp, assertive and oozes understated class. That's one of the reasons we have bought Touaregs over the competition - we don't need a badge to shout look at me - we drive a VW!!

I've tried to include a couple of pics - never posted a pic before and have dropped them into the "Drag and Drop File Upload" without success.

Jono

·
Registered
14 Posts
I expect the pricing of the Launch Edition (which is MY19 spec) to drop.

They have just announced the MY20 models, that have various trim levels (with same 190kw engine).

Check out the CarAdvice article:

https://www.caradvice.com.au/777681/2020-volkswagen-touareg-pricing-specs/

They mention that the MY20 is $10k cheaper than MY19, but missed out on nice to have options. To option them up with MY19 options, it would only cost $5k extra (so MY20 is $5k cheaper).

You just need to wait till later in the year for the MY20 to arrive into the country.

Interestingly you can option up three packages for the Premium model, which is $85,490 plus on-road costs:

The Launch edition has most of the Comfort Pack inclusions (except for area view) included, so when you factor that in on top of the $85,490, the Launch Edition pricing of $89K represents better value (on paper). Like anything, it depends on the deal you can secure at the time. Wouldn't get the car without the options in the Innovison Pack and the Comfort Pack.

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
Jono...congratulations. What a great write-up.

As for uploading photos, it may pay to utilise a free online hosting service such as tinypic.com etc.

Simply follow the prompts that their website provides, you essentially load your image to their site, they then give a number of link codes (depending on where you want to list the photo, i.e. email, forums like this etc.

Include the link to you online hosted photos within a post and voila!

Sing out if you need more assistance ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
The Launch edition has most of the Comfort Pack inclusions (except for area view) included, so when you factor that in on top of the $85,490, the Launch Edition pricing of $89K represents better value (on paper). Like anything, it depends on the deal you can secure at the time. Wouldn't get the car without the options in the Innovison Pack and the Comfort Pack.
Congratulations on the new vehicle. Enjoy.

The technology upgrades in the new generation are a huge leap from the previous generation. My earlier post was highlighting the price gouging for package options (ie. $29k if you tick all options).

Wonder how many (in Australia) will order a fully loaded example, with all three packages, sunroof and metallic paint ticked.

If you do, it will be very sort after on the second hand, when the time comes.

PS. Looking forward to see pics.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks for the wonderful write up jonathan.thompson

Appreciate it , i totally agree with you here "we don't need a badge to shout look at me - we drive a VW!!"

I appreciate loaded tech and value for money compared to competitors.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Any of the admins able to update the vehicle list (in the user profile) to include options for 2019 and 2020 V6 models?

As the 2019 V8 Tdi and 2020 V8 Tdi are also eminent, can we also add these?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Waiting for your review :)
Had a Ford G6E prior to receiving this long awaited fully spec’ed Toureg. After initial frustrations with the dealer and towbar fitting and there being damage to the drivers door I got to drive a diesel SUV for the first time. I bought this vehicle to allow me to take my 2400kg caravan to more remote places with better economy. I didn’t want a vehickle that drove like a truck. My wife recently took delivery of a Mazda 3 Astina and was blown away by the technology such as adaptive cruise control.
After considerable research I decided to shell out for a new Touareg rather than the last model fully optioned. This came with significant financial penalty. I believe it was the right decision.
The Touareg drives smoothly like my ford. It doesn’t have the famous diesel knock. It has a take off lag which takes a bit to get used to. The famous dash is incredible but takes a lot of effort to master. I still have some gaps. The seats are very comfortable and can be adjusted very extensively. As an older guy the easy exit function is great. I don’t find the height of entry too high like some which need a step of ladder. The rear seats are not as comfortable as the Ford but that is probably to be expected. They are still very good.
It is very quiet to drive. Quieter than the Ford.
The first fuel use was largely urban and I returned 8 litres / 100kms. I have just returned from my first caravan trip. The towing was great. There was considerably more power mostly torque. The caravan made no difference to the drive. The self levelling is great. I previously used a Hayman Reese to assist but without it there was no sway or difficulty in any way. The drive was over undulating country with hills up to 300 metres. Sitting on 95 using cruise I returned 14 litres per 100km which is about what I had hoped.
I have yet to take it off road. I have scheduled a 4wd training course.
The technology all seems to work as described although I am not sure my matrix lights are working correctly. People are flashing their lights at me.
I was disappointed to find that the foot opening function for trunk door does not work if you have a towbar. I was also surprised to find that the sunroof when closed was not completely opaque which will mean some radiant heat in the summer.
All in all it is a great choice so far.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got mine 3 weeks ago. Innovision, Sunroof and in Reef Blue. I am loving the change from my previous car which was a HSV R8 LSA Tourer and not having to fill up every 3-4 days.

I paid $100,300. I shopped around and basically got 30% discount off the RRP for the options and colour and pumped them for discount and smaller dealer delivery charges, particularly since the car was already on the lot and did not have to be ordered in or transferred from another dealer.

I bought through Alto Blacktown (NSW).

Things I like:
  • Decent headlight - I've come from halogen and never had HID or LED before.
  • Leg room
  • Display and customisation
  • Rear space - My son is 6'3"
  • Rear cargo space
  • Quality of the paint finish
  • Adaptive Cruise Control - I do a fair amount of highway and city start/stop
  • Seats - I have back and hip issues and I can get the seats into the position that relieves my Sciatica
  • My kids love being able to look up at the sky at night - Perhaps not one of my likes but the kids like it.
  • Larger door water bottle pockets.
  • Air suspension
  • Navigation system
  • Heated side mirrors - I am easy to please!
  • Range - I'm currently getting about 960kms out of a tank.
  • Comfortable drive when on the motorway - I set the drive to "Individual" where I have made my own custom setup. I lower the suspension and stiffen up the steering and adjust the engine tune to ECO.
  • Privacy glass
Things I'm not so happy about / observations:
  • No power soft door closing - only to the rear boot. Whatever happened to that VW door "thunk" that everyone talks about.
  • No automatic central locking - when you close the door and walk away, some of my other cars closed the doors, windows and sunroof by itself if it detected that the key is no longer in the car.
  • No automatic engine starting from the remote key.
  • No all round camera view.
  • Reading traffic signs - or I have not yet figured out how to set it up.
  • SIRI (equivalent)
  • No garage door opening function - I have electric front gates at home and work and an automatic garage door at home too, so that is three separate remotes - not sure if this is an after market plug and play that I can order from Europe/USA.
  • Drivers seat feels like it is off center to the left (Right Hand Drive) so there is heaps of room on my right hand side.
  • When I select reverse, the Passenger side mirror does not automatically dip unless I have the mirror adjustment dial set to "L"
  • There was no V8 option
  • 20" rims - would have liked 21" with a slightly more aggressive pattern - like the R-Line Tiguan.
  • My wife says she feel motion sickness when the suspension adjusts / levels - I'm not so sure. She could just be complaining about my driving and is being nice about it...
I've learned to make sure that I hold my finger on the external door close sensor when getting out and to close all the windows/roof or to close the car from the remote. I've also made sure to pull/push the door a little harder to make sure they close fully.

I'll be getting the front and side of the car plastic wrapped for protection and also get the front windows and roof tinted.

Overall, I am very happy despite the Cons. I have never had a "flashy" car before so for me, this is a massive change.

Happy driving and safe travels,
Carl

·
Super Moderator
1,698 Posts
  • When I select reverse, the Passenger side mirror does not automatically dip unless I have the mirror adjustment dial set to "L"
  • There was no V8 option
Welcome...nice ride ;)

The mirror option is pretty much standard operating procedure for VW.
V8 option is not yet approved for sale in Australia.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I got mine 3 weeks ago. Innovision, Sunroof and in Reef Blue. I am loving the change from my previous car which was a HSV R8 LSA Tourer and not having to fill up every 3-4 days.

I paid $100,300. I shopped around and basically got 30% discount off the RRP for the options and colour and pumped them for discount and smaller dealer delivery charges, particularly since the car was already on the lot and did not have to be ordered in or transferred from another dealer.

I bought through Alto Blacktown (NSW).

Things I like:
  • Decent headlight - I've come from halogen and never had HID or LED before.
  • Leg room
  • Display and customisation
  • Rear space - My son is 6'3"
  • Rear cargo space
  • Quality of the paint finish
  • Adaptive Cruise Control - I do a fair amount of highway and city start/stop
  • Seats - I have back and hip issues and I can get the seats into the position that relieves my Sciatica
  • My kids love being able to look up at the sky at night - Perhaps not one of my likes but the kids like it.
  • Larger door water bottle pockets.
  • Air suspension
  • Navigation system
  • Heated side mirrors - I am easy to please!
  • Range - I'm currently getting about 960kms out of a tank.
  • Comfortable drive when on the motorway - I set the drive to "Individual" where I have made my own custom setup. I lower the suspension and stiffen up the steering and adjust the engine tune to ECO.
  • Privacy glass
Things I'm not so happy about / observations:
  • No power soft door closing - only to the rear boot. Whatever happened to that VW door "thunk" that everyone talks about.
  • No automatic central locking - when you close the door and walk away, some of my other cars closed the doors, windows and sunroof by itself if it detected that the key is no longer in the car.
  • No automatic engine starting from the remote key.
  • No all round camera view.
  • Reading traffic signs - or I have not yet figured out how to set it up.
  • SIRI (equivalent)
  • No garage door opening function - I have electric front gates at home and work and an automatic garage door at home too, so that is three separate remotes - not sure if this is an after market plug and play that I can order from Europe/USA.
  • Drivers seat feels like it is off center to the left (Right Hand Drive) so there is heaps of room on my right hand side.
  • There was no V8 option
  • 20" rims - would have liked 21" with a slightly more aggressive pattern - like the R-Line Tiguan.
  • My wife says she feel motion sickness when the suspension adjusts / levels - I'm not so sure. She could just be complaining about my driving and is being nice about it...
I've learned to make sure that I hold my finger on the external door close sensor when getting out and to close all the windows/roof or to close the car from the remote. I've also made sure to pull/push the door a little harder to make sure they close fully.

I'll be getting the front and side of the car plastic wrapped for protection and also get the front windows and roof tinted.

Overall, I am very happy despite the Cons. I have never had a "flashy" car before so for me, this is a massive change.

Happy driving and safe travels,
Carl
View attachment 233675
Carl the other major surprise is the lack of digital radio. It is 2019 not 2009. Also due to the unusual size, tyres are very expensive.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Interested to hear you thoughts? good / bad?

Price you paid for it?
Just picked up fully loaded Launch edition for wife. Haven't driven it yet but spent this morning setting up phones and fiddling with various functions via the pretty impressive Innovision system (if that's what they call it!).
Build quality seems fine, no soft close doors but that's OK. So far impressed with all the personalisation features for her/me, we just use seperate keys. Wife is happy with the way it drives. Plenty of poke and rides smoothly on rough roads.
I'll leave a decent summary of my impressions after a week when I've driven it but so far it's quite impressive. Might seem expensive but it's all relative when compared to other stuff out there (read LC200 which I've owned several- Sahara now around 120k+ with less features).
I paid $100k drive away with sunroof, Innovision?(big digital display) but non metallic bright white- that was the only one they had so I grabbed it. Would have preferred the blue but not too worried.
But so far quietly impressed.

21 - 40 of 81 Posts