Club Touareg Forum banner

Anyone Have Sub in Spare Tire Well?

13K views 96 replies 10 participants last post by  Troystg 
#1 ·
Has anyone mounted a sub in the spare tire well of a Touareg with the flat "blow up" type spare, like the 2015/2016?

#80 ·
I listen to the new Mustangs, Camaros and Cougars and can't believe how loud and harsh they sound - after a year or two of that I'd be trading the car in - my Touareg has a hevenly growl when you want it to but she can slip home without waking the neighborhood. Good Luck!

#83 ·
I've come full circle. After first planning to have a sub in the spare tire well and then the side panel so as not to take up any room, I am having an enclosure built for the "trunk" area. I worked on the dimensions with an excellent sound guy and I'll integrate my fly rod holder into the top of it. Hopefully it does not interfere with storage too much, but it will be removeable as needed.

Scheduled to go in next week.

#85 · (Edited)
Beautiful!

What subs did you go with? Side or down firing?
Which speakers were changed and to what?
And which model Match DSP?

If it's tuned properly I bet it sounds great!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

#86 ·
Beautiful!

What subs did you go with? Side or down firing?
Which speakers were changed and to what?
And which model Match DSP?

If it's tuned properly I bet it sounds great!

Thanks! It is a down firing sub, Focal 12". There is one subwoofwer on the left side of the enclosure with space in the right chamber if I want to add another in the future. 100% sure I won't want to!

I changed out both the front and rear, also with Focal (6.5"). It is a Match 62DSP, purchased from a member on here and recommended by another member (possibly you months ago!).

Yes I think the installer did a good tuning job and it does sound great. I went back for a "tweak" to the tuning about a week after it was done and they took a bit of bass out. I love it now.

#87 ·
Mine sounds good with stock speakers, I can only imagine what the focals sound like!

It is a very beautiful and elegant design.

#89 ·
Thanks guys, yes I think it looks as good as it sounds. The builder/installer had a specific volume in mind that he wanted to achieve for that sub. We went back and forth a few times with the LxWxH measurements so we could get that volume and still have the type of useable space I wanted.

As far as the actual design and materials, it was all him and it actually came out way better than I envisioned. He is really a top notch craftsman and sound guy.

An interesting side note is that he got the height and angle just right so the tip of the fly rods sit under the rearview mirror without hitting it. Priorities!

#93 ·
16 Treg will have the amp in the right rear of the cargo area. Open the panel and tap the speaker leads there.

#95 ·
All 4 channels are available in the right rear cargo area.

He could go as far as putting in a quadlock extension and tapping the extension wires. There by leaving the factory harness alone.

#96 ·
Yeah, my point was more to the fact that, if he wasn't aware and still chose a rear speaker, fading to the front will effectively turn down the sub.

I think the original reason was to just pick up the speaker wires going to the door but yes, going inside the panel to the amp is much better. All good.

Oz

#97 ·
Rgr, absolutely! Front instead of rear channels.

Sorry, I was focused on keeping him from opening the door cards.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.