Club Touareg Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Yes, the plan is "evolving" and I'm looking forward to getting it done, listening to some music and posting some pictures!

Everyone on this site has been a tremendous help as I have been picking brains here for weeks!

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks Oz.. I really appreciate that. I am happy with it. So far no vibrations or sound issues. That’s the best part.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Credit paid where credit due Brobb (y)

Pretty good match on the carpet too - was that you or the previous owner?

I can't remember if you've mentioned - is yours Dynaudio equipped?

Oz

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks man. It was my first subwoofer install but I tried to do research to get it right the first time.
It was already matched to a tpuareg from the previous owner. It’s a pretty decent match.
Yes mine has dynaudio. It’s so much better now. Exactly what the system needed.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks a lot man. It’s not perfect but it’s pretty good and the sound is satisfactory. I am so glad to have some good bass again.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Yea I do tend to sit a little longer and enjoy it. Still might tweak the amp a little. Reverse the phase.. try a filter slope. The amp has 12 24 hz slope. I don’t think crossover will change it any. I think I have it on 80 now. Maybe 60.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Must be hard to get you out of the car some days.

Ok Tarpon - get to it! ;)

Oz
Just received the dsp in the mail today so I'm on it.

Yea I do tend to sit a little longer and enjoy it. Still might tweak the amp a little. Reverse the phase.. try a filter slope. The amp has 12 24 hz slope. I don’t think crossover will change it any. I think I have it on 80 now. Maybe 60.
Over my head I will admit, but I do know when something sounds good to me!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Been working the subwoofer spare tire solution and settled on making my own. Haven't installed it yet so I can't offer results at this time. The enclosure is comprised of (12)-high quality 3/4"wood panels glued and screwed then bonded in a special weatherizing penetrating sealant and then covered in God-awful Flexicoat. The connectors are from SMD. Same size as the spare tire and will line the well with DynaMat and rock the bottom end. View attachment 241359 View attachment 241360 View attachment 241361 View attachment 241362
I made a similar enclosure by gluing rings of mdf. I used a Stereo integrity MKIV shallow mount 12. It requires .5 cubic ft of space. I’ll post pics when I get home. It sounded very good but blew the sub and they released the MkV but it needs more space.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sure thing most subs are rated differently for ported vs sealed enclosures and corresponding wattage. Using a sealed enclosure tends to protect the cone of the sub from over-extension when mated with the correct amp. LFE will be reduced in a sealed box but more accurate "tight" bass produced. Sound pressure in a hardtop is easy to achieve so a sealed box is the way to go unless you have a very large vehicle or a convertable.

·
Registered
324 Posts
My sealed enclosure is way undersized for my sub. Probably half of what it should be. I used an accoustafil polyester to help negate that some but I am sure the sun has much more potential if properly spec’d. But it is one of those things were you can’t win them all. And for what it is I think it sounds good. Probably not quite extending the lower frequencies as well but that’s ok.

·
Registered
66 Posts
My sealed enclosure is way undersized for my sub. Probably half of what it should be. I used an accoustafil polyester to help negate that some but I am sure the sun has much more potential if properly spec’d. But it is one of those things were you can’t win them all. And for what it is I think it sounds good. Probably not quite extending the lower frequencies as well but that’s ok.
Keeping in mind a non-moving car with windows up is very forgiving in that you have a sealed environment where you can add and take away with equalization easily but once you open the windows and start moving all bets are off and you can't possibly expect things to sound so great that's why people add tonnes of power attempting to overcome the deficiencies ...so perfection isn't an option and what you end up with is subjective anyway - as long as it sounds good to you!

Frankly, with my new exhaust system and the road noise, music with the windows open means blasting my system to the point of annoyance - guess I'm getting older.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hear you on the getting old. I turned 40 and really don’t crank my music like I used to. It does seem to trigger a not so positive response on fatigued ears. And I use to be the guy in the club or concert standing in the sweet spot. Maybe that’s my problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I listen to the new Mustangs, Camaros and Cougars and can't believe how loud and harsh they sound - after a year or two of that I'd be trading the car in - my Touareg has a hevenly growl when you want it to but she can slip home without waking the neighborhood. Good Luck!

61 - 80 of 91 Posts