Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the plug man ... i need hope my 2004 4.2 has been sitting in the shop for 4-months waiting for a rebuilt coil-over from KW. Fortunately as I age the volume goes down and the "reserve" counts more - unless the windows are open in which case the Egg is not the quietest vehicle and the volume takes president.

·
Registered
105 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Here's a couple I pulled down from the Interwebs:

Simple pre-made solution: Wicked C.A.S. > Magic Box > VW - Touareg 2011+ Magic box Subwoofer enclosure Stealth box fiberglass custom fit built

High End solution but with sub enclosure: Oem Appearance balanced with Custom Fabrication - 2013...

Something from here and the author might be able to tell you where he got it from: For Sale: - High End Fiberglass Sub Enclosure & A...

Oz
Oz you have a talent for finding info I'd say. That is some beautiful work and will be a great help in coming up with a solution! It is really interesting to see what's out there and thank you.
Adidas - I see in your signature that is a TDI. Does that model year have the def under the spare? It looks like you've flipped the spare around or something to get the space you need? That does look like a great solution and I'm also curious if you like the sound.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
295 Posts
Yes I agree,
fantastic job finding threads OZ!

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
295 Posts
Adidas, yes the JBL is the best of the spare tire subs. Cerwin Vega is second and Rockville pulls up the rear of the line.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Keep in mind low-frequencies have very powerful harmonics and fiberglass doesn't have the density to mitigate very low frequency harmonics and you get less (much less) punch because, hey - if bass can move the trunk hood it can bend fiberglass weakening the rebound of the speaker cone and then you have less bass and muddier base. Clean bass enclosures keep the harmonics from distorting the sound - 3/4" Particle board is great for this. Also a sealed enclosure will work better in a car because it keeps the primary harmonics in the enclosure not you car - in a room the sub can be positioned in a corner allowing the port to send the bass to a wall and project back into the room - not so in a car especially buried in the tire well. A front-firing port will send those harmonics right back into the car distorting the sound while appearing to produce more bass.

None of this will mean anything if you don't know what clean bass should sound like - so disregard accordingly and of course rock-out responsibly.

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
773 Posts
This seems to be a solution for sub mounted to the Left storage are, if not the solution mentioned by @Brobb

EDIT: Wow, hot topic, looks like some beat me to it. Or I need to refresh more often lol

·
Registered
2016 Touareg Lux TDI, 2019 Passsat R-line
773 Posts
Most if not all years don't require DEF for Australia emissions. so they don't have the DEF tank.
Adidas - I see in your signature that is a TDI. Does that model year have the def under the spare? It looks like you've flipped the spare around or something to get the space you need? That does look like a great solution and I'm also curious if you like the sound.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Most if not all years don't require DEF for Australia emissions. so they don't have the DEF tank.
Aha, thanks for that. I thought I was seeing things so I went out and checked my spare again! That would have been a great solution but no dice for my situation.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Not my sub, some guy on local forum has it. He said he likes it a lot. Anyway is better than nothing, a little bass is always nice :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
There was a time when I spent a lot of time in the car when it wasn't moving - over reaching for good sound made sense then but as I've gotten older... I'm not in the car if it isn't moving. Pristine sound with the windows open isn't possible but "clean" sound is possible with the right attention to detail. My setup is designed to sound clean with the windows open while moving - that requires a lot of power and a lot of dampening - it's not the investment for those who don't crank it up. Putting a 600W sub in a car made 10-20 years ago will sound like music in a soda can if not done properly.

And since I've removed 2 Cats and the suitcase muffler I have to at least match that beautiful howl that accompanies my ride.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Keep in mind low-frequencies have very powerful harmonics and fiberglass doesn't have the density to mitigate very low frequency harmonics and you get less (much less) punch because, hey - if bass can move the trunk hood it can bend fiberglass weakening the rebound of the speaker cone and then you have less bass and muddier base. Clean bass enclosures keep the harmonics from distorting the sound - 3/4" Particle board is great for this. Also a sealed enclosure will work better in a car because it keeps the primary harmonics in the enclosure not you car - in a room the sub can be positioned in a corner allowing the port to send the bass to a wall and project back into the room - not so in a car especially buried in the tire well. A front-firing port will send those harmonics right back into the car distorting the sound while appearing to produce more bass.

None of this will mean anything if you don't know what clean bass should sound like - so disregard accordingly and of course rock-out responsibly.
It sure is hard to get a nice clean bass. I used so absorbing mat behind the molding of that store area. Tried to give myself the best shot of quality bass. I would say it’s quite good. Not great., but mainly cause it doesn’t have the volume to pressurize the air the way I would like. It can do it but not quite how I would like. I am not looking to rattle peoples cars or my own though. So it’s plenty good. Especially i’all considering the small box I was working with.

·
Registered
68 Posts
It sure is hard to get a nice clean bass. I used so absorbing mat behind the molding of that store area. Tried to give myself the best shot of quality bass. I would say it’s quite good. Not great., but mainly cause it doesn’t have the volume to pressurize the air the way I would like. It can do it but not quite how I would like. I am not looking to rattle peoples cars or my own though. So it’s plenty good. Especially i’all considering the small box I was working with.
Sound is hyper-subjective and sound pressure is serious business for bass. You've got to settle on who you are - windows open and moving with road noise is one scenario vs AC with windows up. Less than ideal situation when the body panels of the car are moving with the sound. In addition the technology today offers ridiculous power with thundering sub-harmonics which work well as a laxative and annoyance if not done right.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Definitely agree on all points. Getting quality bass in a vehicle is difficult and expensive to be done right. If only money was no object. I am a bass junky and definitely know the difference between bass and quality bass. I have a 175lb 1500w sub in my living room. So I definitely appreciate a sun that can pressurize a room. I wish I could let you hear my sub so I can see what you think. I don’t have many friends that appreciate bass or have an audiophile type mind.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm an SVS puppy I "hear" you!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes SVS all the way! That’s what my sub is in the living room. They absolutely have a handle on frequencies. I wish they did car audio. I would buy in big time.

·
Registered
105 Posts
masterbaron and Brobb - 2 guys who know and appreciate good, clean sound. I'm with you guys just my wallet can't keep up these days.

Once was a time though when I'd spend considerable piles of cash on clean, crisp tunes. Still have some old trophies from competition days that I look at and think "if only I had ALL that money back" lol

I built some boxes for a guitar mate once and, after I'd loaded them up properly and gave them to him it renewed his enjoyment in the guitar cause he was hearing notes he'd never experienced properly before.

FWIW - 'glass can be made to produce clean bass but it takes a lot of work to stop it flexing (as you guys obviously know). It really comes down to the space you've got to work with. If you can't make a decent enclosure from mdf due to space, position, or shape limitations, then 'glass is your primary (secondary) go to. I had a BMW Z3 that had been the play thing of a rich woman. She'd thrown $30k into mods on it but it still had the standard stereo as it hadn't been built to listen to "that" music. With no real options for subs due to the location of the fuel tank at the back of the cockpit, we built a pair of enclosures that were moulded to fit under the seats with 8" subs pointing forward at the front. Your legs naturally sat over them so no interference. Some good quality splits and a decent pair of fill speakers capped it off nicely. You lost a little bit off the top when the roof came down (naturally) but it was clean, crisp, punchy, pure music with zero distortion all the way to max volume on the h/u. Properly matched components, amplified correctly are like magic. You know it's there you just can't figure out how it happened :)

@Tarpon I'll see what else I can dig up. If you can put up a pic of what your spare wheel well looks like that would help as yeah, we don't have that tank in our models.

Oz

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
295 Posts
Servo subs for me... Both home and cars. I prefer a flat response from 20Hz to wherever I decide to stop it.

21 - 40 of 91 Posts