Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone mounted a sub in the spare tire well of a Touareg with the flat "blow up" type spare, like the 2015/2016?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Tarpon - I looked at doing that - from memory the one I was looking as was a Cerwin Vega - just looked it up, VPAS12ST which should fit under the spare wheel and bolt through to the floor.

Unfortunately they seem to be a rare commodity Down Under and wasn't prepared to be the guinea pig with the added freight cost.

After doing the Dynaudio fix though, I was happy enough with the standard setup.

From the reviews / specs I read though, it should help wake the sound up.

Oz

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
292 Posts
I "assume" it is not a TDI as the Adblue tank is in the spare wheel...

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tarpon - I looked at doing that - from memory the one I was looking as was a Cerwin Vega - just looked it up, VPAS12ST which should fit under the spare wheel and bolt through to the floor.

Unfortunately they seem to be a rare commodity Down Under and wasn't prepared to be the guinea pig with the added freight cost.

After doing the Dynaudio fix though, I was happy enough with the standard setup.

From the reviews / specs I read though, it should help wake the sound up.

Oz
You have good taste! Looks like that is one of the best ones on the market for that application. But....
I "assume" it is not a TDI as the Adblue tank is in the spare wheel...

Yes it is a TDI. You beat me to it - I just came in from my driveway where I saw the Adblue tank.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I installed a 10 inch sub in a custom box made for the rear side storage compartment. It was a project but glad I did it. I enjoy my low frequencies and it has made all the difference. I guess I didn’t get a picture of the finished speaker but I will. I moved the light down as it’s in that storage area.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I installed a 10 inch sub in a custom box made for the rear side storage compartment. It was a project but glad I did it. I enjoy my low frequencies and it has made all the difference. I guess I didn’t get a picture of the finished speaker but I will. I moved the light down as it’s in that storage area. View attachment 241353
That's a cool idea - glad it worked out well. I'd love to see more pictures if you have them.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I installed a 10 inch sub in a custom box made for the rear side storage compartment. It was a project but glad I did it. I enjoy my low frequencies and it has made all the difference. I guess I didn’t get a picture of the finished speaker but I will. I moved the light down as it’s in that storage area.
Brobb, are you the one who fashioned it out of fiberglass?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I will try to get more pictures of the finished product. It is fiberglass. Custom made but not by me. I bought it on this forum. I believe there is a company here that makes them custom. They have a website but I can’t recall it.

·
Registered
16 TDI Lux
292 Posts
I installed a 10 inch sub in a custom box made for the rear side storage compartment. It was a project but glad I did it. I enjoy my low frequencies and it has made all the difference. I guess I didn’t get a picture of the finished speaker but I will. I moved the light down as it’s in that storage area. View attachment 241353
More pics and would you make another for a fee? :)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about the storage compartment to the left of the spare tire? Does it make sense to put one in there or to remove the compartment and put it in that space?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I am not so sure there is enough space next to the tire for any subwoofer.
What about the storage compartment to the left of the spare tire? Does it make sense to put one in there or to remove the compartment and put it in that space?
I am not so sure there is enough space next to the tire for any subwoofer.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Been working the subwoofer spare tire solution and settled on making my own. Haven't installed it yet so I can't offer results at this time. The enclosure is comprised of (12)-high quality 3/4"wood panels glued and screwed then bonded in a special weatherizing penetrating sealant and then covered in God-awful Flexicoat. The connectors are from SMD. Same size as the spare tire and will line the well with DynaMat and rock the bottom end.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been working the spare tire solution and settled on making my own. Haven't installed it yet so I can't offer results at this time. The enclosure is comprised of (12)-high quality 3/4"wood panels glued and screwed then bonded in a special weatherizing penetrating sealant and then covered in God-awful Flexicoat. The connectors are from SMD. Same size as the spare tire and will line the well with DynaMat and rock the bottom end. View attachment 241359 View attachment 241360 View attachment 241361 View attachment 241362
Wow, that looks fantastic, great job! Can't be used in a TDI unfortunately though.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Been working the subwoofer spare tire solution and settled on making my own. Haven't installed it yet so I can't offer results at this time. The enclosure is comprised of (12)-high quality 3/4"wood panels glued and screwed then bonded in a special weatherizing penetrating sealant and then covered in God-awful Flexicoat. The connectors are from SMD. Same size as the spare tire and will line the well with DynaMat and rock the bottom end. View attachment 241359 View attachment 241360 View attachment 241361 View attachment 241362
Nice build man. That’s plenty big. That is the problem with my box is it’s undersized but still does the job but limits the speaker some.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Ok where'd you buy it from?

As I mentioned above I bought it from a guy on this forum. He bought a Treg with it installed and didn’t want it. But I know there is a company that will make them. I found their webpage once but I can’t remember the name of the company. They even do complete kits with speaker amp and all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I bought the JL Audio 10W6v3-D4 10" 600W Dual 4-Ohm Subwoofer to mate with it - we'll see if it lives up to expectation.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I bought the JL Audio 10W6v3-D4 10" 600W Dual 4-Ohm Subwoofer to mate with it - we'll see if it lives up to expectation.
Great speaker choice. I actually would have got the same. But due to clearance issues I ended up with Brax. But I am quite happy. 600w as well and it’s got musicality and punch. I bet your setup will be great.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts