Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I just bought a Curt Echo for my 2015 TDI Exec, but haven't been able to get it to power on. Socket is hot and activates trailer lights just fine, but it doesn't seem that there's 12V power to the blades, which is required for the Echo (and trailer battery charging, of course). I checked the trailer fuses on the right-side panel, and they're all intact, so I'm stumped. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Sorry to have to ask this but did you test it with the trailer harness plugged in at the same time? Tregs can sense if there's a trailer attached and change things like engine/braking and whether the lift gate opens or not. Likely the "blades" aren't energized without there being a need.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to have to ask this but did you test it with the trailer harness plugged in at the same time? Tregs can sense if there's a trailer attached and change things like engine/braking and whether the lift gate opens or not. Likely the "blades" aren't energized without there being a need.
I did, and the trailer lights were all working. Echo still dead.

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you haven't already, you need to check the electric brake "prong" for power. I suspect the contact may not be wired, and thus not live. Trailer lights don't have anything to do with trailer brakes. VW installed a 7 pin receptacle on a previous Tiguan and we later found they did not wire #2 to enable Electric brakes. Our 2016 Toureg has the hitch and receptacle installed as part of the factory towing option. Our Prodigy RF brake controller worked fine after pairing to the trailer.
img_256893_2_8c97a50ec487586a2e4466877a426328.JPG

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you haven't already, you need to check the electric brake "prong" for power. I suspect the contact may not be wired, and thus not live. Trailer lights don't have anything to do with trailer brakes. VW installed a 7 pin receptacle on a previous Tiguan and we later found they did not wire #2 to enable Electric brakes. Our 2016 Toureg has the hitch and receptacle installed as part of the factory towing option. Our Prodigy RF brake controller worked fine after pairing to the trailer.
View attachment 243622
Thanks. There are 7 wires at the connector. I tried checking with a multi-meter and am getting fluctuating voltage. Seems to be 12 momentarily, but then falls off quickly into mV range. All the blades fluctuate, actually. Not sure if this has something to do with the control module and all the trailer control intel? How would I know for sure whether there's power to that blade? Really don't want to have to trace the harness and do a lot of electrical work to find out... BTW, I'm missing the socket locking clip (circled in the pic). Tried to get one from Pollak, the socket manufacturer, but no luck, and of course VW doesn't have it without replacing the entire harness. Any ideas there? Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just for the heck of it. Try the echo on another vehicle if you can. I use one on my 2016 and it works fine. OEM trailer package w/7 pin

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just for the heck of it. Try the echo on another vehicle if you can. I use one on my 2016 and it works fine. OEM trailer package w/7 pin
Already sent it back but might reorder and try again. Does your echo power on without trailer connected? And do you just have the OEM Pollak socket with the 7 pin connector attachment? No other wiring or added fuses, etc.? Checked all my fuses and everything marked trailer seems to be present and intact...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts