Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone have positive experience with a remote-start install on a 7P Touareg? Mine is a 2014 TDI with push-button start. There are a few threads online but most seem to descend into a pizzing match between people who say it's impossible/incredibly stupid and others who say they've had it for years. And useful discussion seems to tail off from there.

I do get that there's a theoretical security compromise if a key has to be hidden in the vehicle...

A clear option I find when I search is the Fortin EVO-ALL. There's lots of info on their site and a few noted gotchas (wrapped key, remote function once started etc) but still, it seems it's possible, relatively easily, for me to be a bit warmer on the -30C days next winter...

Any thoughts or experiences from people who've actually got or considered getting this or another starter?

· Registered
1,060 Posts
Why would you want remote start on a diesel? Absolute waste of time and money. Your engine will not warm up while idling. Get in, start it, wait for the oil pressure to come up, then drive it gently to let it warm up. Extended idling is BAD for a diesel.

If you're dealing with -30°C mornings, get a circulating heater (Frostheater) and put it on a timer to come on 2 hours before you leave in the mornings. And the circulating heater will cost 1/10 of what you'd pay for a remote start.

· Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh for the love of god. OK, I'll entertain the trolling:

1. Firstly I want it, I don't need to justify it to you.
2. My heated seats have memory, at least they will be warm after a few minutes.
3. My 2014 has electric heaters for the cabin, they will gradually warm the interior.
4. The crappy nav takes forever to get to a stage where you can activate the heated steering. This will help.
5. Frostheater reports are mixed, including from you
6. Frostheater still doesn't show a Touareg 2014 version on their horribly dated 90s website - doesn't inspire confidence.

Webasto would be ideal, but nobody seems able to provide even high level instructions.

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,480 Posts

3. My 2014 has electric heaters for the cabin, they will gradually warm the interior.
4. The crappy nav takes forever to get to a stage where you can activate the heated steering. This will help.
6. Frostheater still doesn't show a Touareg 2014 version on their horribly dated 90s website - doesn't inspire confidence.

Webasto would be ideal, but nobody seems able to provide even high level instructions.
Dont you have heated steering control button on your dash above the nav unit?
Agree with the so slow nav bootup!

· Registered
1,060 Posts

Trolling? Really? After 4 diesels in Winnipeg winter, I think my experience is pretty relevant.

It has been proven that excessive idling on a diesel causes twice as much wear to internals. I guess warming up your a$$ is more important to you than the longevity of your vehicle! Keep spending that money.

· Learner
MY21 Wolfsburg V6 Moonlight Blue
6,480 Posts
No, they only added that button in 2015 instead of fixing the real problem - the piece of crap RNS unit which is still, unbelievably, in a brand new Touareg you'd buy today. Unreal.
agree, cant believe they have such a slow arse system! it takes over a minute for bluetooth to connect on cold starts, and ages for other functions to kick in!
*&^(*^(*&^(

· Banned
3,312 Posts
OP - you sounds like a clown!
Scuba - I agree with your "experience"

OP - look up Chewy's (his actual username is not that......) OEM cabin heater retrofit that is very detailed and THE ONLY option as far as I'm concerned, especially since you are purely after cabin comfort.
https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/...p-webasto-parking-heater-retrofit-285929.html

Hustle - please report back with feedback. I am with Scuba above and think you will be less than satisfied with your remote start option.

· Registered
4 Posts
Becoming curious with this also but have an 08 v8. Best Buy just called back and the installer with many many years of experience said that with all that has to be bypassed or whatever it could cause some major issues. So now my decision is to go ahead with it as it’s scheduled to get done on the 18th or just return it. Anything to suggest to the installer?

· Banned
3,312 Posts
Becoming curious with this also but have an 08 v8. Best Buy just called back and the installer with many many years of experience said that with all that has to be bypassed or whatever it could cause some major issues. So now my decision is to go ahead with it as it’s scheduled to get done on the 18th or just return it. Anything to suggest to the installer?
I assume that you are talking about a GAS engine?
Why are you getting it done at Best Buy? These are complex enough vehicles for the VAG shops that usually deal with them...... I'd seriously reconsider your options if it was me. How many Touaregs do you think Best Buy has performed this on vs a VW dealer or a VAG Specialized shop?

Reactions: Nanagh

· Registered
4 Posts
Yes the gas v8. I am definitely reconsidering since I got a call from Best Buy saying the installer said it is a very difficult install. So I’m going to be canceling my install date and getting a refund and going to get my windows tinted instead.

· Registered
726 Posts
Another thing to consider, if you actually want feedback without calling people trolls, is that remote start systems are infamous for interfering with ECU and other communications. It is likely to cause a world of headache should you, or the dealer, need to do anything with Vagcom or other systems.

· Registered
28 Posts
I’m just gonna say it — they came looking for an answer to a question, “has anyone ever…” with the caveat they’d seen lively discussions on the topic, and immediately got pounced on. I’ve seen all of the reasons NOT to do it, but then I see VW made remote start standard in some TDI Passats. Why is that okay but not Touaregs? Is there a simple explanation?

· Registered
726 Posts
I'm just gonna say it. If no one has replied to a 5 year old post reporting a positive experience, chances are the answer is no. But, since you are new to club Touareg and want to lecture everyone here over a 5 year old thread, I encourage you to install one yourself and let us know how it goes.

· Registered
2006 Touareg V8
34 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I was just shopping around to have remote start installed on my 2012 Touareg TDI Exec.

Again, I know this is old so don't start with that fact. I already knew this before I posted here.

Some points / observations I want to make:

1. I already have a oil pan heater on my Touareg and I use it on a regular basis. (Possibly, some people want the remote start for times they're not home or near a convenient outlet to plug into.)

2. If it was such a terrible experience then why does my local VW dealership offer the install of the Compustar system? (The dealership price is only $150 higher than any other electronics dealer in my area and I think it is well worth it to have the dealer do it)

3. For all of those TDI owners out there that almost crap their pants at the thought of letting the TDI engine Idle some before driving: are you sure you are correct? I have worked around diesels for around 20 years now Cat, Cummins, Detroit, John Deere, and others. Almost every Diesel manufacturer says to let the diesel engines warm up in very cold temperatures, at a high idle, for anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes. I'm not saying I know more than those that claim it's bad, just seems like it goes against every other diesel engine I've worked on. There is even a sticker on the dash of our wrecker that was made by Cat that says "Idle 1500 rmp for 10 minutes for starts below 32deg F" it's a 3126 Cat engine. I wouldn't let a TDI sit idling for 30 minutes but I think 5 or 10 would be beneficial especially if you live or work right off a 70 mph highway.

· Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,896 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I was just shopping around to have remote start installed on my 2012 Touareg TDI Exec.

Again, I know this is old so don't start with that fact. I already knew this before I posted here.

Some points / observations I want to make:

1. I already have a oil pan heater on my Touareg and I use it on a regular basis. (Possibly, some people want the remote start for times they're not home or near a convenient outlet to plug into.)

2. If it was such a terrible experience then why does my local VW dealership offer the install of the Compustar system? (The dealership price is only $150 higher than any other electronics dealer in my area and I think it is well worth it to have the dealer do it)

3. For all of those TDI owners out there that almost crap their pants at the thought of letting the TDI engine Idle some before driving: are you sure you are correct? I have worked around diesels for around 20 years now Cat, Cummins, Detroit, John Deere, and others. Almost every Diesel manufacturer says to let the diesel engines warm up in very cold temperatures, at a high idle, for anywhere from 5 minutes to 15 minutes. I'm not saying I know more than those that claim it's bad, just seems like it goes against every other diesel engine I've worked on. There is even a sticker on the dash of our wrecker that was made by Cat that says "Idle 1500 rmp for 10 minutes for starts below 32deg F" it's a 3126 Cat engine. I wouldn't let a TDI sit idling for 30 minutes but I think 5 or 10 would be beneficial especially if you live or work right off a 70 mph highway.
I always think it's better to revive an old thread that is relevant to the question/problem/upgrade you have or want to do, rather than clogging up the site with a repeat thread. Despite that wonderful message we all get saying to start a new thread. Would be nice if the Mods would get rid of that as when people hit "NEW" at the top of the screen they will see all new posts, even on older threads.

With all that jibberish said, one of the other requirements for a remote start in a T3 is to have a 2nd programmed FOB hidden in the vehicle. If you have a 2nd you don't mind giving up then great, if not it's gonna' add to the remote start cost.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts