Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A month and a half ago the front right bag let go on my V10 and replaced it with an Arnott bag, which has been great until today. I was at the dealer today for an oil change (because it's $20 more than doing it myself and I don't have to deal with 13qts of oil) and as they were bringing the lift down and the front right tire touched the ground, the new bag blew.

But if you look at the photo, it didn't rupture... It separated from the upper metal collar. With the suspension at full droop, that leads me to believe that there's a height issue with the bag assembly; either the bag material or the lower tube that goes over the strut is too short to allow full travel without coming apart...

Has anyone else had any issues with the Arnott bags? And if I decide to use a different bag, what brand have people had the best luck with?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Did the dealer lock the suspension as they should have done for a wheels free lift on an air suspension Touareg?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't believe so, and didn't realize it until later. After the bag blew, they still had the vehicle mostly supported by the lift while completing service, and I was grabbing some personal items from it. After I shut the door it started trying to level the corner with the blown bag. I was more concerned at the time about having them disable to compressor so it wouldn't burn it out, but in hindsight that tells me the vehicle wasn't set in jacking mode.

After a conversation with the service advisor this morning, it sounds like they believe the vehicle will automatically enter jacking mode if it detects all 4 wheels are off the ground. That's nothing I've heard or read anything about and definitely tells me they didn't manually lock out the leveling system. We'll see where this goes...

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
My understanding is you have to manually engage the lock.....

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Even if jack mode was not enabled, the system would sense that the suspension was too for extended and therefore LOWER air pressure in the strut. I don't see how forgetting to put it in jack mode would have causes the bag to blow out.

When in extra height mode, the strut is inflated to what I would presume to be the maximum inflation PSI it should normally see. I go 4 wheeling this way and have lifted wheels off the ground all the time without trouble.

I suspect it's a strut issue and maybe this one wasn't manufactured correctly?? <shrug>

Is there any warranty on the Arnott strut?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts