Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across this site and was curious about converting my HIDs to LEDs. They have kits for both halogen to LED and HID to LED.

I know how a lot of people have commented on how our HIDs aren't that bright compared to some other brands. So, for around $150 I considered looking into these a little more.

Anyone done anything like thise before?

http://www.ledheadlightspro.com/leds/?find=volkswagen-2008-touareg-with-hid-224490

·
Registered
444 Posts
When I typed in my touareg, it doesn't have the option for the low beam Bi-xenon replacement.

They only show the system for the high beam and the fog lights.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good catch! I didn't notice that the first time. Well, I guess that makes my decision easy haha.

That is kind of confusing though considering our lights only use one filament for both high and low. Unless maybe, since it still uses our projector housing, it might also make use of the little shade that ours uses to allow high beam light to shine through when switched on. I don't know.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Good catch! I didn't notice that the first time. Well, I guess that makes my decision easy haha.

That is kind of confusing though considering our lights only use one filament for both high and low. Unless maybe, since it still uses our projector housing, it might also make use of the little shade that ours uses to allow high beam light to shine through when switched on. I don't know.
The way Bi-xenons work, is there is a metal "curtain" that cuts off the light at a certain point. When you flip on the high beams, the curtain raises, allowing the whole light to shine.

The flip to pass feature uses the halogen high beams. This is because it would wear out the mechanism for the cutoff if you had to keep flipping it.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, that's what I was trying to say, I just couldn't find the right words to describe it haha.

Also, I didn't pay attentuon to the fact that it is the H7 replacement. In my head I read it as D1S for some reason. Either way, it wouldn't work for mine because I have a T2.

·
Registered
282 Posts
LED drop-ins aren't very good. The light emitting spot is different on the bulb, therefore it will have a hot spot on the road instead of evenly light the road. Hot spot is dangerous (pupils adjusting to it).
it is possible to find hot spot free LEDs, but it's a hit or miss, plus LEDs don't throw light far enough compared to HID anyways... Even those pricey factory equipped LEDs aren't noticeably better than HID (from driver's eyes). The only light that's better than HID is factory equipped laser.

Just buy genuine Philips HID bulbs. If still dim, you might want to check wirings inside the headlight.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thabks yuyueyuyue, I appreciate the info. Yeah, I think it is the fact that the bulbs are starting to dim due to age or maybe they're cheap aftermarkets (I bought the Treg used). I think I may bite the bullet and just buy the bulbs from the stealership parts dept. At least that way I know I'm not buying counterfeits.

·
Registered
444 Posts
There is no reason to spend that much money on bulbs. I always get my bulbs from theretrofitsource.com.

I've never had any issues with the cheaper bulbs, the ballasts on the other hand were garbage.

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/bulbs/oem/d1s-morimoto-xb-hid.html

These are the exact ones I have in my touareg right now. They're extremely bright, and I choose 6000k, which is a little bluer than stock, but I just like the way that looks. I also got the plastic housings sanded and polished, then put a clear coat on top of it. It's a night and day difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts