Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I PREFER to manually shift. My 2012 TDI's transmission controller has a brain fart. Normally I momentarily tap shifter, but when I to go to 3rd, it has a big delay in responding. Even if I hold shifter for a couple of seconds. All other gears manually shift pretty much instantaneously. :serious:

Consequently, at a red light I shift to automatic mode when stopped, and then once I'm in 3rd gear, I shift to MANUAL, and continue. :laugh:

The silver lining to the the "problem" is that since I am in "D" already, it is easy enough to switch to neutral to take foot off brake. I am used to my BMW X5, whereby it has a HOLD mode and you can take your foot off brake (whilst in gear) at red lights and not roll forward. Miss that feature! :(

·
Registered
206 Posts
I PREFER to manually shift. My 2012 TDI's transmission controller has a brain fart. Normally I momentarily tap shifter, but when I to go to 3rd, it has a big delay in responding. Even if I hold shifter for a couple of seconds. All other gears manually shift pretty much instantaneously. :serious:

Consequently, at a red light I shift to automatic mode when stopped, and then once I'm in 3rd gear, I shift to MANUAL, and continue. :laugh:

The silver lining to the the "problem" is that since I am in "D" already, it is easy enough to switch to neutral to take foot off brake. I am used to my BMW X5, whereby it has a HOLD mode and you can take your foot off brake (whilst in gear) at red lights and not roll forward. Miss that feature! :(

You're talking about two separate issues. The hold feature is available if you replace your e-brake switch with an autohold button. 3rd gear Ive notice does do some very interesting things. Ive noticed that its adjusting pressures in the torque converter and will play around with the engine rpms dependent on the throttle input.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're talking about two separate issues. The hold feature is available if you replace your e-brake switch with an autohold button. 3rd gear Ive notice does do some very interesting things. Ive noticed that its adjusting pressures in the torque converter and will play around with the engine rpms dependent on the throttle input.
No duh about separate issues!

Just today I noticed that auto and manual actually have different gear ratios when you are in exact same gear (maybe that is what you are talking about). When I start out from a dead stop in auto and it shifts to 3rd and RPMs reach 1,750, and I shift to manual mode, the RPMs definitely drop. 3rd gear in auto is higher than 3rd gear in manual mode.

BTW: My e-brake button doesn't do anything! How do I set it to stop HOLD???

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
206 Posts
Too much of a hassle and expense. Would be nice, but not that critical.

I finally figured out the parking brake switch; I was pushing instead of pulling!

It is easy enough to go to N at red light, and apply parking brake if on an incline or decline.
I performed this mod and wasn’t all that expensive nor difficult. To be honest I don’t use it all that often but nice to use it when I can.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Just today I noticed that auto and manual actually have different gear ratios when you are in exact same gear (maybe that is what you are talking about). When I start out from a dead stop in auto and it shifts to 3rd and RPMs reach 1,750, and I shift to manual mode, the RPMs definitely drop. 3rd gear in auto is higher than 3rd gear in manual mode.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Yes the TCM has different behaviour in each mode.... However, your gear ratios are not changing.... Users lacking transmission comprehension will most likely be mislead by the missinformation you are posting. Read up on the subject if you don't understand what you are telling the rest of us about so that you're spreading false information.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes the TCM has different behaviour in each mode.... However, your gear ratios are not changing.... Users lacking transmission comprehension will most likely be mislead by the missinformation you are posting. Read up on the subject if you don't understand what you are telling the rest of us about so that you're spreading false information.
I said it was "like" a different gear ratio. Same effect either way.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
3 Participants
Aufgeblassen
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing