Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

I’ve recently discovered that my 2016 T3 TDI with 73k miles has the dreaded noisy chain tensioner issue. You can hear a definite rattle for a few seconds at start up then it goes away. Apparently this repair is a big ordeal involving dropping the transmission removing all the exhaust electronics and then finally removing the engine. Basically open heart surgery. So my question is has anyone or many experienced a complete failure? I really hate to have my super clean T3 ripped apart but it’s still under warranty so if this is a long term issue I guess I will proceed with the repair.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ours has the same noise. It seems like it may be getting worse. I only hear it for a couple seconds on startup. We are under the emissions warranty so I haven't worried too much since if it fails it should be fully covered. But I suppose that we should try to take it in and get it diagnosed and repaired. I'm tempted to wait until we are closer to the end of the extended warranty in part because I really don't feel like fighting with the dealer. They are probably more likely to fix it without a fight the worse (noisier) it is when I bring it in.

I'll be curious to find out if others have had them fail.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have the extended warranty as well so may just hang tight for a bit. I’ve watched post for several years now and just don’t remember seeing many if any failures but can’t say I was specifically looking for them either which is why I posed the question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am not certain since I bought it fixed... I just know the last oil leak fixed I was informed at 181 K I run out of warranty. I am recording video clips with sound to prove my rattle and put so.e pressure to this.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
You need to find out from any dealer when the fix was applied to your vehicle. Date and Milage. Demand this information as there will be a record of it which any dealer can see.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts