Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since there are no longer new TDI's is there any reason I shouldn't look at used when considering the emission fiasco?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Learner
4,713 Posts
Depreciation, resale? Besides that its a great car

·
Registered
316 Posts
I just bought a 2014 TDI with 75,000 km. I love the car so much, it is my dream colour combo. I got a great price on it as it was on a GM dealer lot. If there is a major scandal requiring a buy-back I have an easy out I guess, hopefully I wouldn't loose anything.

Thing is, I probably wont want to do the buyback.

Fuel Economy for the V6 TDI is not fantastic in the city compared to my 2005 Passat TDI.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Since there are no longer new TDI's is there any reason I shouldn't look at used when considering the emission fiasco?
You'll probably be limited to dealer inventory right now. Current owners looking to get out of their cars will sell back to VW through the buyout.

That having been said...my current plan is to turn in our '10, which I don't believe will be considered "repairable" by VW, and then go fishing for a newer model ('14-'15) Cayenne TDi or Q5 TDi. We will have gotten three years of use out of our Touareg, and this will present an opportunity to move up to a newer car, perhaps one that's CPO. Porsche has already put a 100K extended warranty on all their TDis.

Love the platform, love the motor. Not so sure about the company behind it...but I've been an Audi guy for a long time and I'm not straying from the VAG fold at this point, just leaving VW (again). My second car was a '75 Rabbit...I'll leave that story alone. :)

But I have as much as 24 months to shop and who knows what will happen between now and then. Now if someone came out with an interesting plug-in hybrid...my solar array generates more electricity than the house consumes...would be interesting to put that to use. Much of our driving is highway, so it's not *that* attractive, so a pure EV isn't in the cards for us right now...

·
Registered
444 Posts
Currently, no dealerships are even allowed to sell the TDI's. They're banned from sales. My brother works for audi, and says that all the TDI's are collecting dust from not being able to be sold.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just bought a 2014 TDI with 75,000 km. I love the car so much, it is my dream colour combo. I got a great price on it as it was on a GM dealer lot. If there is a major scandal requiring a buy-back I have an easy out I guess, hopefully I wouldn't loose anything.

Thing is, I probably wont want to do the buyback.

Fuel Economy for the V6 TDI is not fantastic in the city compared to my 2005 Passat TDI.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Currently, no dealerships are even allowed to sell the TDI's. They're banned from sales. My brother works for audi, and says that all the TDI's are collecting dust from not being able to be sold.
This only applies to new and CPO. VW dealers can buy & sell non-CPO used TDIs. That's how I got my '16.

I'm not concerned at all about parts availability. Availability of TDI repair expertise, especially in a small town like Eugene, is another issue.

·
Registered
125 Posts

I wonder how many '16 Touareg TDIs are out there collecting dust and when they will be allowed to be sold ?? I am thinking of trading up if VW buys back my '12.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I wonder how many '16 Touareg TDIs are out there collecting dust and when they will be allowed to be sold ?? I am thinking of trading up if VW buys back my '12.

My understanding is that unless VW modifies them to meet EPA properly, and re-certifies them, they won't ever be allowed to be sold in North America - more likely be shipped out to somewhere with less stringent emission regulations, along with all the "buy back" models..

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
My understanding is that unless VW modifies them to meet EPA properly, and re-certifies them, they won't ever be allowed to be sold in North America - more likely be shipped out to somewhere with less stringent emission regulations, along with all the "buy back" models..

Porsche has stated the 2016s will require software only and it will sell any new models on the ground here (those collecting dust) as 'used' at significant discount. Supposedly, there 1000-1500 out there.

Will VW do the same with its 2016s?

·
Registered
790 Posts
Porsche has stated the 2016s will require software only and it will sell any new models on the ground here (those collecting dust) as 'used' at significant discount. Supposedly, there 1000-1500 out there.

Will VW do the same with its 2016s?
They both need approval from EPA before they can do that - if it were straightforward they'd have already done it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
This only applies to new and CPO. VW dealers can buy & sell non-CPO used TDIs. That's how I got my '16.

I'm not concerned at all about parts availability. Availability of TDI repair expertise, especially in a small town like Eugene, is another issue.
Actually, no, it's any. My friend Kendra was told no on a 2015 used Jetta. Salesmen had no idea. This was at a Chevy dealership.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
They both need approval from EPA before they can do that - if it were straightforward they'd have already done it.

Right...but that's the plan. And, methinks that's exactly what going to happen for 2016 models.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Actually, no, it's any. My friend Kendra was told no on a 2015 used Jetta. Salesmen had no idea. This was at a Chevy dealership.

Kendra was lied to. There is not and never has been any stop sale on used vehicles. The EPA ordered VW to stop selling new cars and VW halted the CPO program. There is absolutely nothing that would stop a Chevy dealer from selling a TDI.

·
Registered
454 Posts
That is not how the US legal system works. They were allowed to split the 2.0 and 3.0 engine negotiations and settlements, but the EPA and Carb and the judge will not clear the simple fix for some 3.0 engine and leave the others hanging. There will be a single settlement that will include provisions for all 3.0 TDIs in the US. The settlement is expected to be agreed to any day now, but it will likely take another month or two to get finalized and approved by the judge.

Leaks suggest that the newer model years just need a software fix. Certain older years will have a buyback option. Unsold 2015 and 2016 models will supposedly be cleared for sale after the software fix but will be sold as "used" for reasons that are unclear.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Well, we were both right. Apparently they did have a stop sale on all TDI's, at all dealerships. You could still sell them, but face a fine if the EPA found out. That was until they discovered the fix. Now any dealership can sell them, just not CPO, or new.

Kendra actually ended up getting a newer gas powered Jetta.

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
Well, we were both right. Apparently they did have a stop sale on all TDI's, at all dealerships. You could still sell them, but face a fine if the EPA found out. That was until they discovered the fix.
There has NEVER been any EPA fine levied on any dealer or private party for buying or selling ANY used TDI. From Day 1 of dieselgate to today.

Now it *is* true that, concurrent with the stop sale on new & CPO TDIs, some lenders stopped accepting loan applications for used TDIs because of uncertainty over their market value. This has nothing whatsoever to do with the EPA issuing fines on individuals or dealers (it never happened), or with VW's stop sale on new and CPO TDIs.

Car salesmen at non-VW dealerships are probably the least-informed on this issue, and the most likely to make up a story.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts