Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a replacement because the glass is broken on my 2012. I don't need real-life fog functionality (I've read Daniel Stern's bit about modern factory "fog lights"), I just want a brighter LED replacement for the halogen units that come stock.
As I look on Ebay/Amazon etc. I see a lot of options which are just LED bulbs thrown into the halogen assemblies. Some labeled "9006 LED" and some are just sold as "LED fog light"
Are there any actual LED assemblies that I'm missing?
Thanks,
Ridwan

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I have never been able to understand why so many people put so much effort into blinding oncoming traffic..... you guys must really like head-on collisions or something.....

Do you like it when you're blinded by some clown in a Honduh that installed LEDs to get cool points when he's parking hard at the local hangout spot?

If you're only planning on using them when you're out in the bush or something, then I guess I can understand..... otherwise, stop it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
I have never been able to understand why so many people put so much effort into blinding oncoming traffic..... you guys must really like head-on collisions or something.....

Do you like it when you're blinded by some clown in a Honduh that installed LEDs to get cool points when he's parking hard at the local hangout spot?

If you're only planning on using them when you're out in the bush or something, then I guess I can understand..... otherwise, stop it.
I have LED fog lights, with the xenon headlights they help me see for miles at night. Some parts of LI don't have lights at night. They don't blind anyone...

·
Registered
268 Posts

Lighten up Francis

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While I love a head-on collision as much as the next guy think you misunderstand the top-trim lights in all of the nicest Audis/Benzes etc. are all LEDs nowadays, for example. If you're thinking of random after-market "xenons" from 2005, I get you; but even 7" round LEDs that are available in the aftermarket for low $$s have nice controlled beams while putting out MUCH better light than their halogen predecessors.

Meanwhile, I'm looking for a 7p's foglight--which effectively is an AFS turn-direction light, because it ain't gonna do much good in fog anyway. Located at the bottom of my bumper, I don't even know if I COULD get it to blind people.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
It all comes down to use.... hence my last comment about using them while offroading, or driving on a dark deserted road, etc. If you're only using them for AFS, sure.... but I see tons of yoyos with thier fogs on constantly.... daylight, night time, clear day, foggy, rain, snow, etc..... and they do blind oncoming traffic, very much so, especially when you already have poor visibility due to some of those conditions.

I'd love to see your new controlled beam pattern after you find your desired replacements...... keep me posted.

·
Registered
663 Posts
but I see tons of yoyos with thier fogs on constantly.... daylight, night time, clear day, foggy, rain, snow, etc..... and they do blind oncoming traffic, very much so, especially when you already have poor visibility due to some of those conditions.
So, what's the difference with using fog lights as a DRL?
If they are an actual fog light, not a spot light, the light beam should be even lower than the low beam headlight and therefore not a problem.

Of course if they're actually driving lights then that's a problem, or VERY badly adjusted fog lights.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
So, what's the difference with using fog lights as a DRL?
I would suspect that when OEMs set this option from factory, they either design the output with that intent (perhaps lower output, etc during DRL use), or perhaps since it's daylight and your eyes are already adjusted to the brightness, the blinding factor is greatly reduced.....

DRLs are typically only used on this side of the pond where most of our drivers are so oblivious that you could be using strobes as DRLs..... we are way more concerned with eating\drinking\texting or all of the above while driving.

·
Registered
663 Posts
What I meant was using the standard, unadulterated OEM fog lights as DRLs.
Which I used to do sometimes until the local cops decided that was their fund raiser for the month.
My car is silver -metallic grey, I think it blends into the background a bit. The LED low beams are better anyway, they stand out better.

What I was saying though was these yoyos could be using their fogs as DRLs, and if they actually are fog lights they shouldn't bother anyone because the pattern is so low.

I've seen people get irrationally annoyed by people using standard fog lights that don't glare in the day time but not bat an eye over bright LED strips.

I remember years ago you could get a doohickey to make your motorbike headlight strobe during the day.
I used to have a 130/90 watt halogen bulb, they saw me.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Full Disclosure

I still have aftermarket HIDs on my crotchrocket, and I know they are bright and possibly blind people.... but with just about every single cager on the road trying to kill me at all times, I had to pick the best option for me...... There's a time and a place for everything.... not one single scenario applies to everything.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts