Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Please advise on the amount of coolant required on a full drain and refill and the type required? Is it necessary to flush out the system with de-ionised water and mixing the coolant with de-ionised water?

Thanks

·
Registered
682 Posts
Use ONLY Audi VW G13, or G12 approved anti-phosphate, anti-amine, anti-phosphorous antifreeze! Do NOT use regular store bought antifreeze, which typically contains ethylene glycol and doesn't correspond with the specifications of a Vw cooling system.

Flush if suspected contaminated. (I always do).

Check quantity in owner manual.

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
G12 is recommended. G13 is the current VW coolant and is backwards compatible.

You will need 4 gallons of correctly mixed coolant to fill a completely drained V8FSI motor's coolant system. (AMHIK).

That means, you buy 2 gallons of concentrate from the dealer and mix it with equal parts distilled water (1:1 ratio).

Obviously, if you have a different engine, the quantity will be different.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Pick up the phone and call your dealer.

When they tell you how much you need to buy, post it on here.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Hi,

I have the 2009 model 3.0 TDI V6 (7L) still searching for the amounts required.

Thanks
Maverick 777 Your 09 3.0L V6 coolant capacity is 15.4L (16.3) qt

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for that. Is TRIPLE QX Purple Ready Mixed Antifreeze/Coolant (G13) 5Ltr suitable? Or does it need to be genuine Audi VW? at 4 X the price.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Heater To Max Prior to Coolant Change?

Hi,

I've been told to turn the heater to max prior to coolant change to drain only coolant, obviously I can't leave the engine running during the change, but can I leave the ignition on...if possible?

Cheers

kaboom

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Eh? I think it's normal to drain hot coolant to get the best drain with the thermostat open but you don't leave the ignition on!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had to replace the water pump recently so decided to share my experience.
Without any doubt replacing the pump is extremely easy (Touareg 2011 V6). As others explained - just push down on the spring loaded tensioner with a socket wrench to release the belt, 3 bolts to release the wheel (alan), 3 bolts to remove the pump (12 point star). Once the pump is removed most of the fluid runs down so make sure you collect it. Once new pump was in I refilled with distilled water to clean up the system for a while. Drove it for few days to make sure pump is good. Now, to refill new coolant (G13 from the dealer, was fairly priced), I removed the hose clip from the bottom of the radiator (seems to be the lowest point available) and drained again completely ( hot engine, even started it for few seconds few times to push coolant out). I also used a wet shop vac and sucked anything that would not drain on its own (another few liters were still there). Then let the engine to cool down before refilling (70/30 ratio, its cold winter here). As far as I understand the capacity of my Touareg is around 9 liters and that's pretty much what I had to put back in so I know that I drained it well. Start the engine and let it run until it reaches operating temperature and close the cap between top ups to allow pressure build until the system is full. Re-check after short drive.
Good luck!

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Eh? I think it's normal to drain hot coolant to get the best drain with the thermostat open but you don't leave the ignition on!

Oh come on Nooby, these guys (video in box below) can do much riskier things, like changing a wheel while driving. Seriously, get with the times. :laugh:

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
LOL!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts