Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
My T1 has got 2 antenna's: a right side one and a left side one.
The Aerial Diversity Control Module uses feedback from the original radio system to switch between sides.
Now i have installed an Android entertainment system which doesn't have the feedback connection, so it only uses the incoming antenna signal wire.
I don't now which antenna side is being used now and if het control module is doing anything without the feedback signal: does it think there is a bad signal all of the time now and is it constantly searching for good signal or isn't it doing anything, staying switched to 1 specific side?
Does anyone have info on this, please?
Theoretically i suppose one could inter-connect both antenna sides permanently, bypassing the control module, but i know there is something as antenna resistance of which i have to admit i know nothing about :(

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Seeing you only got one antenna feed you will only have one antenna connected to your head unit, conseqequence of this is that you will suffer variable reception determined by direction vehicle is travelling and from which side the signal originates.

If you did a forum search you would have found these and other posts on the subject.......

TonyB

Reactions: TRespect

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, thx: i will look into all links provided :)

My car originally had a RNS S2 10-speaker system.
There is only 1 antenna feed available in the car, it is the Aerial Diversity Control Module that determines which antenna side is used to feed the radio.
This module uses a receiving quality feedback signal coming from the radio to switch between antenna sides, so without the use of this module indeed reception is determined by travelling direction of the car ...

So questions are: what does the module do without a feedback signal: nothing or permanently searching for beter signal?
And: is there a device to use instead of the original feedback system?

A little note: i once removed the fuse for the Control Module to check fore difference in receiving quality and there was none, so i left the fuse removed: no a good idea, since this fuse also feeds the OBD connector: took me some time to find out why i couldn't use VCDS anymore :rolleyes::)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Until now i have not found a sollution which will enable me to use the aerial control module ...
Best workaround seems to be to interconnect left and right side window antenna's and not use the rear window ones :(

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Seeing you only got one antenna feed you will only have one antenna connected to your head unit, conseqequence of this is that you will suffer variable reception determined by direction vehicle is travelling and from which side the signal originates.

If you did a forum search you would have found these and other posts on the subject.......

TonyB
Good stuff there. I have a T1 and will certainly check the mytreg thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm reading on antenna impedance now :)

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Good stuff there. I have a T1 and will certainly check the mytreg thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pretty forward: T1 has 2 antenna's and a control module which decides which one to use, depending on feedback of the radio.
Something Android radio's cannot do for as far as i know.
Later on, the controlling was done in the radio itself.
In which case (when retrofitting the RNS 510 system) you can resp. interconnect left and right antenna's and you can use the feedback wire as a second imput to the radio.
Something Android radio's ....
So we need something to give feedback to the control module or we cannot use it.
Than probably the best way to go is to interconnect left and right antenna's and not use the rear one's.
Or perhaps they all can be interconnected: i don't know, that's why 'm reading about impendance.
The aerial control module is all about avoiding reflections, but most cars have only 1 (ok 1 AM and 1 FM ...) antenna, no?
Combining left and right will probably give one better reception than 1 side + half of rear i suppose.
But if there would exist something that can give feedback to the control module ...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is getting interesting: T1 has 4 antenna's: 1 left side, 1 right side, 1 left half side on the rear and 1 right half side on the rear.
Both left and right ones are interconnected, left and right being separated from each other by the diversity control module which chooses left or right depending on feedback from the radio tuner.
Cars wich originally have the RNS 510 do not have the control module, the switching is done by the dual tuner system inside of the radio.
BTW: this splitting of the antenna array is used in order to improve reception quality by avoiding multipath interference.
So getting back to the older system: when using an aftermarket, single tuner radio, there is no feedback, so i still would like to know what the control module does than: not switching at all or switching permanently.
We could inter-connect all 4 antenna's i think (i don't know about impedance and resistance), which would give us a great all-round radio wave reception because of a big antenna array, BUT it would also cause more multipath interference.
Something which, i think, also would occor more often when interconnecting left and right side antenna's. Interconnecting left and right rear antennas would not have this problem, but perhaps would reduce overall reception.
So leaving all as it is, using only left or right antenna's (fixed (by bypassing the control unit if it switches without feedback or by doing nothing if it doesn't switch) or randomly (by leaving the control unit in place and it switches without feedback)) would perhaps be the best sollution hoping reception would be acceptable as much of the time as possible ... :unsure:
At least until i can find something to provide feedback to the control module other than buying a dual tuner set.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
1 - 15 of 15 Posts