Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heading home from Disney with the family. Found out 7 gallons too late that BP unleaded handles are green. Never powered up so decided to drain the tank. Thanks to past forum posts was able to figure out how to access the tanks under the seats. Big shout out to Tims Towing in Pensacola for helping us out. Special mention to pep boys for stocking the triple square 10mm head. Took us 5 hours to finish up but we made it back to Texas. Can't believe I found the one guy who was willing to tear into it in a parking lot on New Year's Day. Siphoned it into 5 gallon containers. All 22 gallons I had in there.

·
Registered
557 Posts
On another note, the handles in Canada are either yellow, or green. I've only seen green at one place, which i don't use for fuel.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seems ok now. Fired it up and ran it 7 1/2 hours straight home so I guess if it was gonna blow up it would have happened already. Sucked it bone dry and refilled it.

·
Registered
143 Posts
And don't forget that that the truck driver can make a mistake too by fill up a diesel tank of the gaz station with gaz. This is why when filling up either my Treg or Passat (both TDI), I always put a few (less than half a litre) than remove the nozzle and smell the tip. Gaz is gaz and diesel is diesel...

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
That's a gripe of mine, too. It used to be that ONLY diesel handles were GREEN and gasoline handles were a DIFFERENT COLOR.

Not anymore. :- (

I scared the @#$% out of myself once when I thought I was pumping diesel into my gas vehicle, but the dumb pump handle was just green. It was 91 octane after all. :- /

Glad you caught it and got it all sorted out.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
We don't have that problem in Australia, all of our diesel pump handles are black whilst the "gas" are red or yellow or green.
It's the KISS principle, not that hard, is it?
TonyB

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Silly thing is that if all the car makers and fuel companies worldwide had got together years ago and made diesel nozzles hexagonal so they could not fit in circular gas fillers [set to a specific maximum diameter], no one would ever be able to mis-fuel!

It is bloody silly, though, having a diesel pump handle colour/color that can be mistaken for gas.

·
Registered
456 Posts
no one would ever be able to mis-fuel!
That is a very brave statement. Someone, somewhere would do it and then complain!!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Silly thing is that if all the car makers and fuel companies worldwide had got together years ago and made diesel nozzles hexagonal so they could not fit in circular gas fillers [set to a specific maximum diameter], no one would ever be able to mis-fuel!

It is bloody silly, though, having a diesel pump handle colour/color that can be mistaken for gas.

I had the same thought. Get away from the circular fitting to a different shape, but i'm sure someone would complain that the sharp corners could hurt their little snowflake.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
That is a very brave statement. Someone, somewhere would do it and then complain!!
to which the standard response should be "You are clearly a total ****wit. Please surrender your driving licence and return your car to your dealer as your single cell brain is clearly incapable of operating a vehicle."

·
Super Moderator
9,562 Posts
to which the standard response should be "You are clearly a total ****wit. Please surrender your driving licence and return your car to your dealer as your single cell brain is clearly incapable of operating a vehicle."
That I would fully agree with Nooby!! :clapclap:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hey... did yall know that McDonald's coffee was HOT...?

Sorry... didn't mean to poke fun.

Sucks. Mistakes happen. That's why we hopefully learn from each one and move on, and do not repeat.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Hey... did yall know that McDonald's coffee was HOT...?

Sorry... didn't mean to poke fun.

Sucks. Mistakes happen. That's why we hopefully learn from each one and move on, and do not repeat.
Don't apologise.

There are some people on this earth who really should be denied the free air!

·
Registered
295 Posts
We have a saying at work: Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
X2
And nothing is as dangerous as a partly educated idiot ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts