Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Lux w/19" wheels has the factory installed Goodyears and after 12,300 miles, the tread wear is already down to 7/32 and the wear is fairly even around all 4 tires.

Is this wear normal for this tire? I was hoping to get 20,000 miles out of them but it looks like I won't be able to.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I don't understand why you wouldn't get 20k out of them. At 7/32 - you've only used 3/32 of tread so far in 12k miles - or 1/32 per 4k miles. Even if you assume the tire is dead at 2/32 (which is typical) - that's 8x4000 = 32000 miles out of the tires. According to Goodyear (I'm assuming it's the LS2's), original tread depth is 10/32.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: Aaron

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,415 Posts
2/32" ? You might as well use slicks.

Changing tyres at 3mm MINIMUM has long been recommended - not yet a global standard as getting universal agreement takes for ever - that's 4/32".

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,415 Posts
3/32 is pretty standard. Changing tires at 5/32 is wasting good tires. I got just under 30,000 on the crappy OEM Pirellis. I'm trending to 40,000 on the Bridgestones. (3/32)
Maybe you live in a dry state - have you seen how the water dispersal rate drops off the cliff as the tread depth reduces?

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I got close to30K on my GY LS and had no handling issues,but they were getting noisy,so I put on a set of Michelin Latitudes and am very happy with them. I don't expect to get much more than 30 with these,but I like the handling and noise level very much.

·
Registered
801 Posts
2/32" ? You might as well use slicks.

Changing tyres at 3mm MINIMUM has long been recommended - not yet a global standard as getting universal agreement takes for ever - that's 4/32".
Run 'em all the way to the cords/belts I say! Better dry traction that way!

Kidding (sort of). I run a dedicated set of winter tires, so I don't need the tread depth for snow.

Looks like the OP lives in Las Vegas - which is quite dry (and not snowy). I wouldn't be afraid to run them down to pretty much bald - unless the last few thousand miles happened during monsoon season - then I might change sooner.

FWIW - the standard "Lincoln's head on a penny" tread test? Lincolns head isn't fully visible until 2/32" - which was my point of reference.

I totally understand though - i had a set of LS2's on my 08 that wore so unevenly that I ditched them early. At the end of the day, it's whatever you feel most comfortable (and safe) with.

GL!

·
Registered
20,262 Posts
3/32 is pretty standard. Changing tires at 5/32 is wasting good tires. I got just under 30,000 on the crappy OEM Pirellis. I'm trending to 40,000 on the Bridgestones. (3/32)
As Black Grouse says, tire performance falls off a cliff after 50% tread wear.

That's fine if your roads are always dry, but if not . . .

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wouldn't run down below 4/32 even in a dry climate. While you would be fine, you have to factor in how hot it can get and road debris contributing to a possible blow-out.

You kind of have to use your best judgement on handling, road noise, etc. But I would go to 4/32 and if you go below that it is up to you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.