Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The AC in our '05 has been adequate but recently stopped cooling. We took it to our ace AC people and they said it was a little low on refrigerant but that the compressor wasnt getting power and to "find a used control panel".

Before I start tearing dashboards apart I was hoping there would be suggestions as to what else to look at. Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
So did they "bypass" the control panel they are saying is the issue and supplied power directly to the compressor clutch to engage it? Does the system work when they do that? Are you (or they) scanning it with a proper VCDS or are we just speculating on what the problem might be?

There are several components and multiple scenarios which can lead to the AC not working. More troubleshooting is required. Is the the compressor clutch not engaging? A drop in system pressure can cause the system to go into fail-safe and prevent operation. Did they charge the system back up to operating pressure? Did that allow the compressor to kick in? Did they check for leaks? (why was the system low?)

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She said it was half a pound low which we both felt would not be enough to prevent the compressor from engaging.

Without a running compressor they cant top it up or add dye to check for leaks. I do have a sniffer which did not yield any results.

They did not scan for codes and they did not bypass the control panel so yes, we are speculating which is why Im not running out to grab a replacement.

In fairness to them, they are an old school AC only shop. They rebuild compressors, make and repair hoses etc. Diving in to anything outside the AC system is not their favorite hobby. They were nice enough not to charge me.

Based on the fuse card #25 was missing (5A) so I added one. Since it would have been missing since Ive owned it that doesnt seem to be a likely culprit but I havent driven it yet.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The Touareg has a complex, modern system. We don't even know which one you have on yours yet.... You need proper troubleshooting and specific system knowledge to attempt to fix it properly.

Do you have a manual, dual zone or quad zone on yours?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
The scan will give you more specific errors that some of us around here may be able to decipher for you so that you don't end up replacing a few K worth of parts if all you need is a temp or pressure sensor.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We bought a VCDS and here is what the scans revealed

HVAC

00003 - Control Module
014 - Defective
Freeze Frame:
(no units): 2.0
Temperature: 33.0°C
Temperature: 31.0°C
RPM: 2970 /min

Under engine

28836 - No Communications with HVAC Control Module (J301)
U0164 - 008 - - Intermittent

Where do I go from here ?

·
Registered
211 Posts
The OP is bellyaching about a fourteen (14) year old system??? LOL. I was ticked pink when the only major item in our '98 Jetta TDI that failed in 7 years and 180,000 miles was the A/C compressor! :grin2:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also have an 87 BMW (2 actually) which both have ice cold air and less miles than the T1 so its really not about the age. Its summer in Florida (as you know) and this is a work vehicle with no AC. If thats belly aching then count me in.

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
Locate your control module and check the wiring... If that appears to be good you may need to replace the module.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
The touareg in summer really sucks without AC.

It is hot, even if you open the windows. The car was designed with the idea that you would have AC and no design effort was put into what if the AC was not working.

From the sounds of it, you have a dead controller.

Just a random thought. If your current AC buttons look good, you might be able to get a working AC controller with the damaged (white) buttons really cheap. Once you verify the ugly AC controller works, you just swap over the face plate from your current (broke) controller.

If you need it fast, it would be best just to buy a new one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The touareg in summer really sucks without AC.

It is hot, even if you open the windows. The car was designed with the idea that you would have AC and no design effort was put into what if the AC was not working.

From the sounds of it, you have a dead controller.

Just a random thought. If your current AC buttons look good, you might be able to get a working AC controller with the damaged (white) buttons really cheap. Once you verify the ugly AC controller works, you just swap over the face plate from your current (broke) controller.

If you need it fast, it would be best just to buy a new one.
Thanks for the input. Buttons are adequate for what the vehicle is. My AC shop said the dealer quoted them $700 for a new one so that's not going to happen. If it was an e30 I'd swap this in my sleep so I'll ask the silly queston...is the controller sitting behind the buttons and is it a relatively straight forward plugnplay ?

VCDS suggests a power supply issue and there is that engine code. I'll. Heck the contacts and start looking for a replacement. Thanks y'all

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
There should be plenty of them in the recycle yards. I see a post about a bad controller once or twice a year. It can go bad, but it is unusual. Most likely is Fan motor, then fan controller (bitron) then compressor, then the controller.

I see one on ebay right now with the white damaged buttons for 80+10 shipping. Swap your buttons onto it and get it for under $100 delivered.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
There should be plenty of them in the recycle yards. I see a post about a bad controller once or twice a year. It can go bad, but it is unusual. Most likely is Fan motor, then fan controller (bitron) then compressor, then the controller.

I see one on ebay right now with the white damaged buttons for 80+10 shipping. Swap your buttons onto it and get it for under $100 delivered.
The fan works fine. It's just the compressor not kicking in. I see that one on eBay.looks easy enough to swap in and my buttons are about the same

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Search for touareg vinyl button overlay if you want to make the buttons look better and not spend a small fortune.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So I did buy one on eBay. "Fully functional" w button nicer than they should be for its age for $85 shipped.

Any pointers or a link to pop the old module out without breaking any tabs and to locate fasteners that VAG loves to hide ?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My replacement control module arrived and Im wanting to confirm whether I just put it in Service Position or if I should also remove all the AC related fuses ( read that as well). TIA

1 - 20 of 49 Posts