Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my 04' V8 has given me nothing but problems over the past year. The most recent problem has been the worst yet. The car keeps telling me to "Move selector lever to position P". This coming up whether the car is in park or not. It eventually drains the battery when the car is off because the internal computer keeps trying to figure out what is going on.

I brought it to a local shop that specializes in European cars, and they claimed the Treg needed a new alternator. So $2200 later, I have a new alternator installed. I pick it up and all seems fine.

The second time I take it out, I get the message again. I bring it back, and they claim I should not worry about the battery dying because they fixed that issue with the alternator. However, to eliminate the message they think it has something to do with either a magnet in the selector or, more probable, an ignition issue that had a recall back in 04'. My car never got this fix.

So I again brought my car back home, with the message still showing, and the next day the car is dead again.

The shop is clearly not fully understanding the problem occurring. The alternator was a problem since two different places claimed it needed to be replaced, but I'm not totally convinced my $2200 investment had any effect on my actual problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? I apologize for the length of this, but I want to be sure to detail everything.

Thank you all for your help in advance. I love my Treg. I really want to keep it, but I can't do that when it's sitting dead on the street!

· Registered
406 Posts
This topic has come up before. I can't say it will be a quick search, but if you lookin in the history you should find something. I could have swore that it had to do with the magnet in the shifter itself, and using the details given with spockcat's write up here
VW TOUAREG - KEYLESS START INSTALLATION on how to get to the magnet.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/search.php?searchid=7382273 is a good search to get your started, because things like Jeffbum seemed to find an issue with a fix being in the door handles, and he did a write up on that one.

· Registered
227 Posts
Well, from what you've written, seems clear enough - you had a bad alternator which was killing your battery.

Then you have a second problem with the shift selector not realizing the car is in park. It sounds like there is a recall fix for that.

They're telling you that the two problems aren't related. You disagree and say they are related (based on what?)

I would say get the known problem fixed (recall), and then see if you still have issues. If so, then continue troubleshooting.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the keyless entry system. Have you replaced the kessy module.
I have not, but it was suggested months ago when I had battery issues not related to the error message stated above. We ended up settling on a separate solution instead of the keyless entry system which the dealer claimed needed to be totally replaced (sensors and all). What does this kessy module do exaxtly?

· Registered
279 Posts
Does your car have the keyless entry system with the black buttons on the door handles. The kessy is the module that controls the keyless entry system. There are antennas in the doors and hatch that sense the key is near allowing you to open and lock doors without using key. The kessy is faulty and not communicating properly with the doors. Had same problem in mine, replaced kessy year and a half ago and haven't had problem since. Would also come out to dead battery in the morning and haven't had that be a problem since the kessy was replaced either.

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does your car have the keyless entry system with the black buttons on the door handles. The kessy is the module that controls the keyless entry system. There are antennas in the doors and hatch that sense the key is near allowing you to open and lock doors without using key. The kessy is faulty and not communicating properly with the doors. Had same problem in mine, replaced kessy year and a half ago and haven't had problem since. Would also come out to dead battery in the morning and haven't had that be a problem since the kessy was replaced either.
I do have the keyless system. I've just read up on fixes, but I would never do them myself. Did you take yours to a dealer or shop and if so how much did it cost you? Thanks for your help.

· Registered
123 Posts
I am having this issue along with the faint clicking in the dash. I’ve also had an issue recently where the Touareg kept locking itself with my key near the car, once it immediately locked as soon as I pulled the key out.

I’ve heard it could be door handles or the kessy module, I’m doubtful it’s the shifter magnet.

How can I determine if it’s the door handles or kessy module? I have VCDS to run tests

· Registered
123 Posts
Run a full autoscan. What faults is VCDS reporting?
will do, but on my last recent scan I don’t recall seeing anything related to kessy, and reading on here this isn’t an issue that always throws a code.

This issue just started so hoping I’m a long way from it holding my key hostage in the ignition.

· Registered
2014Toaureg V6 Sport
19 Posts
So my 04' V8 has given me nothing but problems over the past year. The most recent problem has been the worst yet. The car keeps telling me to "Move selector lever to position P". This coming up whether the car is in park or not. It eventually drains the battery when the car is off because the internal computer keeps trying to figure out what is going on.

I brought it to a local shop that specializes in European cars, and they claimed the Treg needed a new alternator. So $2200 later, I have a new alternator installed. I pick it up and all seems fine.

The second time I take it out, I get the message again. I bring it back, and they claim I should not worry about the battery dying because they fixed that issue with the alternator. However, to eliminate the message they think it has something to do with either a magnet in the selector or, more probable, an ignition issue that had a recall back in 04'. My car never got this fix.

So I again brought my car back home, with the message still showing, and the next day the car is dead again.

The shop is clearly not fully understanding the problem occurring. The alternator was a problem since two different places claimed it needed to be replaced, but I'm not totally convinced my $2200 investment had any effect on my actual problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? I apologize for the length of this, but I want to be sure to detail everything.

Thank you all for your help in advance. I love my Treg. I really want to keep it, but I can't do that when it's sitting dead on the street!
I, too, have 7P issue with battery flatlined after 3 days in my garage. This issue is not related to a hand brake. There is no handbrake in my 2014 7P. So what is the fix folks?

· Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,451 Posts
I, too, have 7P issue with battery flatlined after 3 days in my garage. This issue is not related to a hand brake. There is no handbrake in my 2014 7P. So what is the fix folks?
Parking brakes are fitted to all Touaregs - it matters not whether it's operated by hand, foot or switch.

· Registered
123 Posts
Not to send you away, but maybe find a 7P thread or start one, as the 7L battery drain issues can be quite distinct.

Generally speaking though, a tedious but potentially necessary task is tricking the vehicle into sleeping by manually latching door latch with door open, and then checking current flow through fuses.

· Registered
2014Toaureg V6 Sport
19 Posts
Well, from what you've written, seems clear enough - you had a bad alternator which was killing your battery.

Then you have a second problem with the shift selector not realizing the car is in park. It sounds like there is a recall fix for that.

They're telling you that the two problems aren't related. You disagree and say they are related (based on what?)

I would say get the known problem fixed (recall), and then see if you still have issues. If so, then continue troubleshooting.
And if you get the recall work done? Ask them about the issues you're experiencing. jmho

· Registered
123 Posts
Computer Personal computer Font Handwriting Communication Device

After solving my battery drain stemming from my rear passenger door black button shorting out (I unpinned the wire) it seems a new annoyance has sprung up.

This time with the front passenger door antenna. Interesting how these fault codes appear in module 5, but it is actually module 46 where you can view live data for the components.

Strangely, while you can view live data for the little black button, you cannot do the same for the antenna.

Does anyone know if the antenna can be a cause for battery drain? My Kessy makes clicking noises, so I know it’s likely failing, could it instead just be the kessy module tripping things up?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts