Club Touareg Forum banner

41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I really don't know how much I would gain functionally but I am concerned about Android 6 being unsupported in the future. I never really noticed the screen dimming but I'll check it out next time I get back in my car I've been riding my bike for a few days.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Check the settings can't figure out how to make Waze my default guidance app.

We should be happy God doesn't give us everything we ask for
Go to settings and tap car orig settings.Tap navigation app choices and then which map app to use as default.
IMG_20190830_221346575[1].jpg
IMG_20190830_221346575[1].jpg
IMG_20190830_221409535[1].jpg
IMG_20190830_221422433[1].jpg

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well I got my carplay dongle to work a lot better, strangely by switching the Android launcher to Nova Launcher. I bet the stock launcher was eating up the CPU. I was unable to get the box to auto switch to the 360 camera, and the steering wheel controls will not skip tracks. Both of these are driving me nuts, and the vendor is unable to help at all (language barrier, and they're just a reseller) so I'm sending back the box.

On the 360 camera situation, I did notice that in the main wire bundle there is a little wire labeled "360". I imagine you're supposed to connect this something to enable auto switching to the 360 camera, but of course there are no instructions for this at all.

Some other notes for those more technically inclined with Android, in the settings there's a "Factory Car Settings" item that presents a keypad. 0-0-0-0 will get you past that and into some debugging settings. I was able to get it to dump CANbus logs, but there's not much I can do with that. I cannot get ADB to work, since plugging in my macbook to one of the USB ports with a USB-C to USB-A male cable just charges my laptop. I can't find any way to turn off USB host mode on the box. In the Android developer settings it won't let you change the USB mode. I also tried to root the box so I can use ADB Wireless, but was unable to get anywhere with that. Someone potentially could repack the "CarCanbus" apk and make the steering wheel controls work, but I just don't have the time, especially when I can't get an ADB connection and realtime access to the CanBus logs.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Well I got my carplay dongle to work a lot better, strangely by switching the Android launcher to Nova Launcher. I bet the stock launcher was eating up the CPU. I was unable to get the box to auto switch to the 360 camera, and the steering wheel controls will not skip tracks. Both of these are driving me nuts, and the vendor is unable to help at all (language barrier, and they're just a reseller) so I'm sending back the box.

On the 360 camera situation, I did notice that in the main wire bundle there is a little wire labeled "360". I imagine you're supposed to connect this something to enable auto switching to the 360 camera, but of course there are no instructions for this at all.

Some other notes for those more technically inclined with Android, in the settings there's a "Factory Car Settings" item that presents a keypad. 0-0-0-0 will get you past that and into some debugging settings. I was able to get it to dump CANbus logs, but there's not much I can do with that. I cannot get ADB to work, since plugging in my macbook to one of the USB ports with a USB-C to USB-A male cable just charges my laptop. I can't find any way to turn off USB host mode on the box. In the Android developer settings it won't let you change the USB mode. I also tried to root the box so I can use ADB Wireless, but was unable to get anywhere with that. Someone potentially could repack the "CarCanbus" apk and make the steering wheel controls work, but I just don't have the time, especially when I can't get an ADB connection and realtime access to the CanBus logs.
Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you. Whenever I order something like this from China I go in knowing that I'm pretty much on my own because of the language barrier and lack of instructions. It really sucks because it sounds like you have the skills to get this up and running like you want if you could talk to someone without getting lost in translation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just wanted to post and first say thanks for all the talented helpful people out there! I purchased and installed the android box from aliexpress, and this forum gave me the confidence and push I needed.

I also wanted to mention some of the things I have noticed.

First off the android experience is pretty darn sluggish. I have a feeling this is partially due to the touch screen, partially due to the box itself, and partially due to the software. The software can be easily fixed by just installing a different launcher. If you want to type out stuff on the screen then I would say skip this box, you will hate it. However, the included mic works great and the android box seems plenty fast when using google assistant. It is perhaps the best hands free experience I have had in a car. Okay Google will trigger any action on the device for the most part and seems pretty quick.

Scrolling on the device is a double mess because the devs for the device didn't really optimize anything for the smallish resolution of the rns 850. Beyond the resolution issue, the touch screen just can't keep up with the box, and scrolling especially with the default launcher is painful at best. Replacing the launcher does a lot though, even so I would do everything in your power to avoid interacting with the device through touch.

Finally I think the install wasn't nearly as bad as others suggested, but I think a big part of that is how much they paved the way. Moral of the story is don't be intimidated by it.

In hind sight, I don't believe the hardware is worth anywhere near the price they are asking for it, but if given the option from the factory to have the same features and even same performance for an extra $300 I would have been thrilled. It makes the RNS 850 a lot more useful.

·
Registered
39 Posts
joergeske I agree about the launcher, it was much better once I switched to nova launcher.

Just want to throw out there that I did get ADB enabled over tcp by entering 5555 in the factory settings keypad. I didn’t get anywhere with canbus support for the steering wheel controls. Interestingly the debug logs show they are detecting skip forward and skip backwards as the same button, which may be why they don’t have it enabled. I did get the vendor to accept my return, but it was $65 to ship back to China. I would have kept it if I could have made the 360 camera work correctly. I use it about every time I drive the car and it’s one of my favorite features. I may try a different box in the future, but honestly I’d rather mount a tablet in the dash compartment or replace the entire screen with some higher resolution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mondurr, I don't personally have the 360 cam, so thankfully no issues there, the standard backup cam seems to be working exactly as expected though. Thanks for the unlock code! I might have to dig in this winter and see what I can figure out. Would honestly love to get a newer version of android on it. Also I haven't spent a ton of time on it yet, but I thought I had steering wheel controls working right out of the box on mine, I will let you know for sure in the next few days. Also so far I am finding that using google assistant for everything is a really phenomenal experience. It only took about 20 mins with the dumb thing to figure out I don't enjoy interacting with it in any other way because of how bad touch support is.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Like Mondurr, I tried today to root the box. Tried 3 different methods and nothing worked. Kind of bummed out too because there are just a couple things I want to tweak.

I am finding that the default dpi setting of the box is to small and it causes the keyboard and other menus to completely cover up parts of the screen. For example while searching in google maps you cant see results because the keyboard covers them up. Annoyingly enough this issue fixes itself in later versions of android because they added a way to manually scale the dpi in settings.

Overall though, I am 3 days of driving around with it, and I would absolutely buy it again, I had a tablet mounted for the longest time, and this is way cleaner. It might be a bit sluggish at times and slightly limited, but what built in infotainment system isn't haha.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Has anyone taken one of these apart to see what's inside?

I'm considering one but want to customize it further....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Has anyone taken one of these apart to see what's inside?

I'm considering one but want to customize it further....
I'll do that this weekend and take pictures if that will help although I don't know what I'm looking at. I've only went as far to become a developer. I thought I saw a MCU one time while looking thru the menus but can't seem to get back to that screen. Like joergeske said just changing the dpi would be huge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nothing connects to the back of the screen. That mustard yellow connector plugs into a box on the left hand side of the car. Look back at the really well detailed guide from earlier in this thread it will help you a ton.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys
Thanks for this thread. I got one of these boxes and installed it tonight but I don't seem to be getting any power (no leds light up on the box) did anyone else have the same issue? I checked the continuity of the cable and it seems ok but if I put the multimeter across the inline fuse and the chassis I get 0v. Maybe I blew a fuse that powers this part of the bus??

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Hi guys
Thanks for this thread. I got one of these boxes and installed it tonight but I don't seem to be getting any power (no leds light up on the box) did anyone else have the same issue? I checked the continuity of the cable and it seems ok but if I put the multimeter across the inline fuse and the chassis I get 0v. Maybe I blew a fuse that powers this part of the bus??
Did you get it working ?

41 - 57 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
11 Participants
suzy1052
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing