Club Touareg Forum banner

21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Uses the same one that's in cellphones. Currently have a 32gb but I think it will accept a 256 but don't hold me to it. You can format it as internal or external from the Android box settings menu.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The only thing you need to pry is the storage tray in the middle of the dash. There is 1 plastic torx (t30) screw that you can pry out with your nails and then use a thin plastic pry tool at the front of storage tray and pry up and pull it forward. There are two t20's holding the display unit in and then just pull forward. You will need a t20 torx for the 6 glove box screws. Put a pillow on the floor to let it rest on when it comes off. After all the screws are out it will swing forward at the bottom and hang at the top until you pop it off. Fuse box cover has to be off to get it unhooked all the way. I'm glad to report that all steering wheel and mfd functions remained and when in Android mode the rvc turns on immediately just like factory. If you can get an extra pair of hands it will come in handy when putting the glove box cooler vent tube back on. It pops on and off pretty easy. I can't stress enough DO NOT turn car on or even acc mode with the airbag wire disconnected from the display unit.
Thanks for walking me through the installation of the android box. Everything up and running without any hiccups

We should be happy God doesn't give us everything we ask for

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kenrick118 did you remove the DVD player or did you remove the entire glovebox? Do you have any install tips or pics? My box should be arriving in a day or two. Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Kenrick118 did you remove the DVD player or did you remove the entire glovebox? Do you have any install tips or pics? My box should be arriving in a day or two. Thanks!
I removed the glove box,made life real easy. I reached out to suzy1052 and he walked me through the whole process . I made sure I had almost everything pulled before reaching out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Where is this gateway interface connector the instructions talk about? I have the glovebox off, but I don’t see this anywhere. I’ll write up a decent guide on doing this when I’m done, it’s slow going without anything but the blurry instructions...

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
The gateway connector is on the left-hand firewall. You have to remove the kick panel under the steering wheel to access it. It is the module with two orange connectors in it remove the bottom connector and splice it into the new harness and then connect the new harness into the gateway. this is by far the hardest part of this installation as you will have to contort yourself to reach this box but it is doable.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Agreed that was by far the hardest part. I’m a skinny dude I can’t imagine someone big or someone will bigger arms and hands being able to do it.

I have my CarPlay adapter working with the box, but the audio gets really choppy with multiple apps going. Not sure if it’s the CarPlay adapter/software at fault or the android box, but this seems to be a common complaint with these CarPlay dongles.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Agreed that was by far the hardest part. I’m a skinny dude I can’t imagine someone big or someone will bigger arms and hands being able to do it.

I have my CarPlay adapter working with the box, but the audio gets really choppy with multiple apps going. Not sure if it’s the CarPlay adapter/software at fault or the android box, but this seems to be a common complaint with these CarPlay dongles.
Only problem I'm having is with "Waze" guidance work but no audio. Using Google map?,perfect audio. Confuse.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Only problem I'm having is with "Waze" guidance work but no audio. Using Google map?,perfect audio. Confuse.

You have to go into settings and make waze your default guidance app if you want it to play thru the extra speaker.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well sadly I don't think this android box is fast enough for this carplay adapter. The audio gets extremely choppy and all in all it just doesn't work well. Another gotcha is that pressing the 360 camera button does not automatically switch to it like the backup camera does. You have to hold the steering wheel mic button to switch back to the VW interface to see the 360 camera.

My main reason for wanting to use carplay is my corporate cellphone doesn't allow tethering so to use this box with Waze and Spotify I'd have to add a sim card and pay $20/mo to add it to my wife's plan. I went with this box over the Joyeauto one since you didn't have to tap the canbus wires, but if I did it over again I'd go with the Joyeauto unit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Sorry to hear that. I don't know if this will help but there is a built-in app that allows you to mirror your cell phone to the screen.

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I could get the source code for the canbus app I could probably fix the 360 camera issue by just having it switch to the VW screen when you press the button.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well sadly I don't think this android box is fast enough for this carplay adapter. The audio gets extremely choppy and all in all it just doesn't work well. Another gotcha is that pressing the 360 camera button does not automatically switch to it like the backup camera does. You have to hold the steering wheel mic button to switch back to the VW interface to see the 360 camera.

My main reason for wanting to use carplay is my corporate cellphone doesn't allow tethering so to use this box with Waze and Spotify I'd have to add a sim card and pay $20/mo to add it to my wife's plan. I went with this box over the Joyeauto one since you didn't have to tap the canbus wires, but if I did it over again I'd go with the Joyeauto unit.
I don't have 360 camera, only backup. I have front and back security camera that I installed . I have a dedicated 10g hotspot that I now use for the camera and the android box .

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
If I could get the source code for the canbus app I could probably fix the 360 camera issue by just having it switch to the VW screen when you press the button.
Do you think its possible to update the box to a newer version of android ?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you think its possible to update the box to a newer version of android ?
What do you hope to gain by upgrading it? I’m just curious as I’m not up to date on what the differences are in newer major releases.

You’d have to obtain a ROM with drivers for the box, assuming not everything would work with vanilla AOSP.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you guys noticed that sometimes when you switch back and forth between the VW interface and Android, that the Android screen gets noticeably dimmer? I had this happen today, but after turning the car off and back on the issue went away.

I asked the vendor about the issues with the 360 camera button and the steering wheel skip-track buttons. He asked for a video, here it is.

21 - 40 of 57 Posts
About this Discussion
56 Replies
11 Participants
suzy1052
Club Touareg Forum
We’re the online community for Volkswagen Touareg owners to share knowledge about their VW Touareg Sport Utility Vehicles and more!
Full Forum Listing