Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SO I have been quietly gathering parts and getting ready to prepare my Treg of the RallyReg as I am calling it. Here is the plan, Tuesday it is going in for service, doing all the Oils, and installing the lift spacers...Thanks to Emotion Engineering on this one, Cayenne Front & Rear Spacer Kit I ended up speaking with Kate, the owner of Bandit the Touareg See below.
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Ecoregion

Anyway, Emotion makes a 1.5" / 1" lift for the Cayenne which happens to fit the Touareg, I will be also adding some 255/70R18 All Terrain Tires (TBD) as I am picky about rotating mass.
My first question is, last oil change I was informed that the Splash Shield that goes below is MIA. I can thank Carvana or the Valvoline oil change for that one. Either way, I am considering alternatives, what would you guys recommend / or currently use?

Next, has anyone used 255/70R18 with Spacers (15mm / 20mm)?

Last, (for now) I have the itch to get rid of the rear muffler, and it's more for weight savings since I am under the impression that it really does not affect performance. Thoughts? The way I see it is when I go to the Rallies I carry a bit of gear and this would offset that. When it is empty, I sometimes feel the rear is a little plush for my liking.

TYIA

· Registered
2016 Touareg, 1999 Audi A4 Stroker
84 Posts
SO I have been quietly gathering parts and getting ready to prepare my Treg of the RallyReg as I am calling it. Here is the plan, Tuesday it is going in for service, doing all the Oils, and installing the lift spacers...Thanks to Emotion Engineering on this one, Cayenne Front & Rear Spacer Kit I ended up speaking with Kate, the owner of Bandit the Touareg See below.
View attachment 254707
Anyway, Emotion makes a 1.5" / 1" lift for the Cayenne which happens to fit the Touareg, I will be also adding some 255/70R18 All Terrain Tires (TBD) as I am picky about rotating mass.
My first question is, last oil change I was informed that the Splash Shield that goes below is MIA. I can thank Carvana or the Valvoline oil change for that one. Either way, I am considering alternatives, what would you guys recommend / or currently use?

Last, (for now) I have the itch to get rid of the rear muffler, and it's more for weight savings since I am under the impression that it really does not affect performance. Thoughts? The way I see it is when I go to the Rallies I carry a bit of gear and this would offset that. When it is empty, I sometimes feel the rear is a little plush for my liking.

TYIA
There are a few companies that make aftermarket belly pans, euro wise, forge overland, ECS tuning and more. I personally have 15mm spacers in the front and 25mm in the rear. If I could do it again I would do 20mm front and 25mm rear. 4wheelspacers has great spacers and decent prices as well. I personally never completely delete mufflers from my own cars to avoid drone. ECS tuning makes a res delete kit that would help with sound as well as save some weight. Although not as much as deleting the muffler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2007 VW Touareg V6TDi - Steel suspension
63 Posts
Brown Textile Rectangle Wood Font
If you're worried about weight, OEM splash shield is the only option... unless you want to be a trend setter and make yourself a CF one or something crazy like that!
How about Kevlar Composite instead of CF? I looked into it and it was either Kevlar/Carbon or Kevlar/Fibreglass.
Although slightly heavier I chose Kevlar/Fibreglass composite because I believe it has better material characteristics for an under guard.
I also had a look at materials such as Innegra and Dyneema.

I had these pieces made for me.

· Registered
5,685 Posts
View attachment 254707

TYIA
Wait, Valvoline oil change? Since when the hell does their oil meet VW spec 507?!

· Registered
5,685 Posts

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 254716

How about Kevlar Composite instead of CF? I looked into it and it was either Kevlar/Carbon or Kevlar/Fibreglass.
Although slightly heavier I chose Kevlar/Fibreglass composite because I believe it has better material characteristics for an under guard.
I also had a look at materials such as Innegra and Dyneema.

I had these pieces made for me.
Ok this is badass... but ... only in the boot area, I figure 70 pounds less at the very back of the car would allow for 70 lbs of cargo without sinking the suspension. When I do rally support, I have a trunk full of equipment.

· Registered
2004 V8
399 Posts
For rally sport events, you'd need two-way(optimal) and one-way(minimal) adjustable "custom" shocks to ensure less bottoming out, and overheating (remote reservoirs). Also, a set of sturdy bump stops and limiting straps to limit suspension down travel when you jump (if jumps occur) would help.
I've participated in a few events (Olympus twice and a few rally cross before my hand and shoulder injuries rendered me an old man).
Number one is brakes (Touareg brakes with proper pads are adequate), the number two is suspension. The rest is whatever you have budget for (rules compliant).
I know how grueling prep for events could be, but it is better to have and not need it than not have it and need it.

Just my tuppence...

Cheers...

· Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh agreed! I would be prepping this a lot differently if I was going to do that. but, I am on the operations side of events and travel to stage starts sometimes or even access to certain bivouacs.
In my case, I do not really need the ground clearance and protection but I prefer to have it.

· Registered
2004 V8
399 Posts
I've made a skid plate based on this design. SkidPLate. It is only held in place by 3 bolts and fully rests on the engine cradle. I've made mine out of a 1/4 aluminium plate. I have access to an AL welder with argon so I fabbed everything myself.
Take a gander at this website, maybe you'll see something you like StellSkidPlates

Cheers...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts