Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An Engineering Theory of the Volkswagen Scandal - The New Yorker

Saw this on Reddit and wanted to share here...pretty good read that raises some valid thoughts. Especially the "normalization of deviance" phenomenon:

...[The scandal] may well have begun with a few lines of engine-tuning software. Perhaps it started with tweaks that optimized some aspect of diesel performance and then evolved over time: detect this, change that, optimize something else. At every step, the software changes might have seemed to be a slight “improvement” on what came before, but at no one step would it necessarily have felt like a vast, emissions-fixing conspiracy by Volkswagen engineers, or been identified by Volkswagen executives. Instead, it would have slowly and insidiously led to the development of the defeat device and its inclusion in cars that were sold to consumers.
What are your thoughts?

· Registered
295 Posts
sounds like the "Spin Doctors" have been let out of their pen.

· Registered
339 Posts
I work for a (very) large software development / engineering company, and the general thoughts amongst the engineers are somewhat similar to what I just read, managers not engineers make software requirement decisions. Oompah loompahs just do what they are told.

· Registered
04 4.2L V8
149 Posts
looking beyond

If you think Volkswagen is bad, look at our entire government from the president down to the unionized laborer, and all the “normalization of deviance.” (Read the article and research beyond a single layer) I would like to know what "European non profit" paid for the research to be conducted? Interesting things one discovers when tracing money and motive.

"A phasing of fuel injection timing" that's one of the last things said in the video, as well as the fix to the problem. Simple tuning that we all do when we modify our vehicles, on the older TDI's manipulating the fuel distributor can yield 50+ MPH, I tune all my VW's, it effects emissions. but not regulating the biggest polluters, Look at Boeing or all shipping tankers regulated emissions testing, none, and they burn gallons per second and its all Matter, it just changing one state to another.

· Registered
1,950 Posts
If you think Volkswagen is bad, look at our entire government from the president down to the unionized laborer, and all the “normalization of deviance.” (Read the article and research beyond a single layer) I would like to know what "European non profit" paid for the research to be conducted? Interesting things one discovers when tracing money and motive. "A phasing of fuel injection timing" that's one of the last things said in the video, as well as the fix to the problem. Simple tuning that we all do when we modify our vehicles, on the older TDI's manipulating the fuel distributor can yield 50+ MPH, I tune all my VW's, it effects emissions. but not regulating the biggest polluters, Look at Boeing or all shipping tankers regulated emissions testing, none, and they burn gallons per second and its all Matter, it just changing one state to another.
Well as long as YOU get what YOU want that's all that matters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.