Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple weeks ago I received my invitation for an Amazon Echo Auto after signing up nearly a year ago.

2014 VR6 Exec w/RNS-850, iPhone 8+

There was some initial glitches where the Auto would stop sending audio through BT. In the end it's a known problem, already fixed, and the Auto just needed enough time to update its firmware.

Been driving around with it loose in the cabin since then, while evaluating the best place to put it.

For me, best is stealth as well as keeping usability. Not a fan of cords everywhere!

I found forgoing the included vent mount and instead using some clear Gorilla Tape to tack it to the ledge on the instrument cluster was best. A new USB left-angle cable let me run the power right over the dash lip and hide it behind the steering wheel, exiting through a slit in the leather right to the fuse box. I can't even see it unless I peer over behind the wheel.

I sourced a fuse that only powers up when the truck is on and used a tap for that to a 6A 3xUSB converter. Plugged in the Auto and good to go.

Did the same for the cable from my wireless charging cell phone mount, so now nothing is plugged into any 12V cig adapter. Plus I have one more spare USB power plug if I need to run some other gadget.

Usefulness of the Auto? Remains to be seen. Currently I use it mostly for streaming music and podcasts. It can also control my smarthome devices, but it cannot run voice activated routines yet, only location based. This is a serious shortcoming I brought to their attention as, for example, I have a routine I often like to activate (day's calendar, news, weather etc.). However for the $25 invitation price I feel there's little to be lost. Not having to poke around in the apps is nice. It also plays well with hands free calling and getting Waze updates.

Blue is when the Auto is listening after the wake word.

Red is when the microphone has been manually turned off.

You can control whether the light bar activates at all via device settings in the Alexa app. I don't find it to be too bright at night and truthfully it is only on when giving commands. Otherwise it blends right into the instrument cluster.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Your 2014 has built in Bluetooth why do this?

·
Registered
2014 VR6 Exec
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Why do you care? lol. And I am more than well aware she has BT...how do you think it connects? Anyway it works for me in ways that messing around with my phone are annoying, distracting, and not hands free. It's fine if you don't agree.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Why do you care? lol. And I am more than well aware she has BT...how do you think it connects? Anyway it works for me in ways that messing around with my phone are annoying, distracting, and not hands free. It's fine if you don't agree.
So what's the point then? So you can run your smart home devices while driving??

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
Are you the Bluetooth Gestapo?
No I'm legit trying to ask what he accomplished using that thing vs just streaming your phone via Bluetooth directly to the rns850

·
Registered
2016 Touareg, 1999 Audi A4 Stroker
74 Posts
No I'm legit trying to ask what he accomplished using that thing vs just streaming your phone via Bluetooth directly to the rns850
He gains better voice control when compared to the rns850. I’m assuming audible traffic alerts as well. Although not for me he is getting new features.

·
Registered
5,491 Posts
He gains better voice control when compared to the rns850. I’m assuming audible traffic alerts as well. Although not for me he is getting new features.
Voice control for what? Making calls? How would audible traffic alerts work

1 - 10 of 10 Posts