Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am thinking to add some side steps to my Altitude but they are impossible to locate, do they have to be altitude side steps due to the body kit?

Does anyone have an idea of where i could find them???

also i want to change the bulbs from yellow xeons to clear, if this possible and what is the rough cost any ideas please?

any helps is appreciated

thanks.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
I have never seen yellow xenons!

If you are talking headlights, which bulbs are you referring to: dipped or main beam?

Are you certain they are xenons as they were a rare option on the R5?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah they are yellow and 100% Xenons, i assume with xenons you get different colours so like a yellow colour to like a clear blue colour? the latest cars all have like a clear/blue xenons

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Are these factory fitted or aftermarket xenons a previous owner has installed.

Do you have headlight washers in the front bumper?

The accurate white colour for OEM equipment is 4300K.

If factory fitted, then buy genuine 4300K Osram or Philips [not cheap e-bay fakes] bulbs and the light will be white.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Buy PIAA Extreme White bulbs for the main beam to get a white light to match the xenons. Not cheap, but worth it.

PIAA XTREME WHITE BULBS

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i would have to double check if there is headlight washers on the bumper can say i have ever looked.

4300k? what about 6000k?

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Going blue.

If you want WHITE light, stick with 4300K.

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Sorry, hate the bloody things!

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
Ok, thank you for you help, any ideas of side steps?
They do a great job of catching on rocks when off road. Seriously, I would make up a set of "Rock Sliders" as a better option. Side steps are for pussies and Jeep Owners.

Stuart...

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I have never seen yellow xenons!

If you are talking headlights, which bulbs are you referring to: dipped or main beam?

Are you certain they are xenons as they were a rare option on the R5?
Yellow HIDs (xenon is a gas and almost all regular headlight bulbs have xenon in them) are readily available. They are 2500k to 3000k. I've got them in my wife's Golf's projector fogs (=amazing).

I find that 5000k is a great compromise between actual decent light output and a more bluish tint. 6000k is too blue and your output will be diminished. And obviously anything higher than that is just stupid.

Buy some genuine Phillips or Osram bulbs in either 4300k or 5000k.

·
Super Moderator
3,813 Posts
I put 3000 Kelvin Xenon lamps in my fog lights, and Scuba's correct they are excellent in Fog.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for all the input. Is it possible to change the actual xenon bulbs?? If so how would I do it and how much do you think it would cost me??

Thank you

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Google the bulbs and use Search for the bulb change how-to.

·
Registered
11 Posts
They do a great job of catching on rocks when off road. Seriously, I would make up a set of "Rock Sliders" as a better option. Side steps are for pussies and Jeep Owners.

Stuart...
HaHA this is funny .My other car is a jeep with great sidesteps..as I'm only 5ft 3 or 4 they are quite handy for standing on to wash the roof and also getting in and out of car. I have thought of getting some installed on the Touareg for the same reason. I think I might damage my seat as I find myself sliding out the door. and step ladder needed for roof cleaning.
Cherie:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Altitude side steps ...

Hi, did you get anywhere with the side steps for an Altitude, 2006 v6, 3.0L?!!
I am also looking but can't seem to find any, and they'd be useful to get the kids in the car and to get to the roof box!
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,295 Posts
I just put a set of Phillips XD50+ (not the exact name) bulbs in my Touareg a coupe of months ago. They are a 5000k bulb. They are amazing!!! Nice and white --- nice and bright!!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Ok let's be real here. First off Halogen and xenon are completely different gases let alone headlamp and bulb designs when it comes to true xenon headlamps. Xenon or HID is a gas discharge headlamp which means it requires a ballast, igniter and specific HID capsule (depending on generation and style) to work properly let alone it has to be a HID headlamp with HID coding on lamp to be correct. HID is never to be used for fog lamps. Ever! Typically HID is rated at 4300-4500 Kelvin temp, Yellow with a slight white to it. 6000K is more in the blue spectrum and is harder to see with at night bit still falls within EU regulation as well as US.

The question is what do you have? Xenon or halogen? Xenon is easy. It is a D1S capsule and a halogen is easy as it will be a halogen bulb clearly. Halogen bulbs are cheap, xenon are not. If you life your hood you can see the coding on the top edge of the lens of the headlamp, D = Discharge lamp, H = Halogen.

Halogen bulbs with xenon gas also is completely different. It's still a halogen bulb with some xenon gas it it to burn brighter. Not much of a difference really. My suggestion is buy European bulbs through Headlights, Car Lights, Headlight Bulb, Car Bulbs, Car Light Bulbs | PowerBulbs

Learn more about lighting and more specifically on xenons and other types here: Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

1 - 18 of 18 Posts