Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driving down the Interstate yesterday and I got a message about consumer electronics followed by the battery symbol being displayed. Looked and listened and saw nothing unusual. Later I was told that the AC was shutting down. Again nothing caught my eye (it was 38 so no AC no big deal) and then I noticed that the amp meter was reading 11 volts and I then knew I had a real electrical problem.

Book suggests battery and talks little about alternator but go to a service shop.

My guess is the alternator as the battery is less than a year old.

Assuming alternator, is this going to be an easy replacement and an armored truck full of money?

DIY possibility?

2010 TDI

Thanks guys for any feedback

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
578 Posts
Driving down the Interstate yesterday and I got a message about consumer electronics followed by the battery symbol being displayed. Looked and listened and saw nothing unusual. Later I was told that the AC was shutting down. Again nothing caught my eye (it was 38 so no AC no big deal) and then I noticed that the amp meter was reading 11 volts and I then knew I had a real electrical problem.

Book suggests battery and talks little about alternator but go to a service shop.

My guess is the alternator as the battery is less than a year old.

Assuming alternator, is this going to be an easy replacement and an armored truck full of money?

DIY possibility?

2010 TDI

Thanks guys for any feedback
Isn't your car a dual battery set up? One for onboard power supply under drivers seat and another for starting in the rear wheel well?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope, only battery is under the drivers seat, and the space for those with two is taken up with spare tire and Ad Blue tank. I'm a little fearful that the alternator is a $400 part and the repair involves taking out the front end in under a day and a day to put it back together again. $$$$$$$$

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Isn't your car a dual battery set up? One for onboard power supply under drivers seat and another for starting in the rear wheel well?
Only the V10 and some special orders came with two batteries ex the factory.

Oh, and the Hybrid of course!

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
578 Posts
Only the V10 and some special orders came with two batteries ex the factory.

Oh, and the Hybrid of course!
Thanks for clarification. V10 must be a power hog, although think you need a pretty robust battery for any touareg.

·
Registered
2005 Touareg - 3.2L BMX
578 Posts
Nope, only battery is under the drivers seat, and the space for those with two is taken up with spare tire and Ad Blue tank. I'm a little fearful that the alternator is a $400 part and the repair involves taking out the front end in under a day and a day to put it back together again. $$$$$$$$
Not certain with the diesel. On my VR6 gasser alternator is easy to get to on drivers side of the block towards the front below the tensioner pulley. Not very fond of rebuilt parts but could save money perhaps with a rebuilt alternator.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All its going to take is money - lots of it

After diagnosis, the only way to get to the alternator is from underneath, it was determined that the alternator is gone. Alternator are kept in Germany and will be sent to my dealer. The reason I was given is that it is not a part that fails, well guess what VW, this one did.

So after they remove the front fascia, radiator and related stuff they can get to alternator and replace. Then all back together.

$1,500 and I probably will not get a kiss.

I love my Touareg but this one hurts.

If you have a TDI, don't let your alternator fail.

Oh well, I will welcome 2016 with a new alternator.

On the brighter side they gave me a Passat, Wolfsburg edition no less to use while the T-reg is in the shop. It is NOT a Touareg in the snow!!!!!

Happy New Year everyone.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Follow up - it was the alternator and it was expensive, $1,300 for everything, I got a good discount which is sort of like a kiss. Like I said before love your alternator, but it is not like one can abuse it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts