Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello people, I have also posted this on the English site but there is a bigger V10 Treg base on here. mine is a T1 form 2005. Thanks.

I have a couple of problems that are probably related on my V10 2005 treg. Some days I run fine, and other I get the message the electrical consumers switched off, now I have read up on this and most answers point to a toasted battery under the seat always the left one. So I have a new one ready to fit. I don't have a warm garage and it is bone achingly cold here to do it out side. (I am a comfort man). So it seams to clear itself and the voltmeter looks okay at slightly above 14Volts. I am aware that it is only an indicator and not a "accurate" indicator.

So yesterday I was out shopping with my wife and I noticed that the volt meter had dropped to just below the 12v mark. Everything switched off , no result or increase in volts. Now looks like we are past the replace battery stage and into what now stage. 2 possible culprits here the voltage regulator is kaput or the alternator is kaput maybe even both, could also be a damaged connector. There are no strange noises coming for under the bonnet. So I don't think the elastic connector is split, it may be smooth IE teeth ripped off or worn down. But if it was I would expect quite a bit of rubbing noises.

Now I have had a look in the WIS system and it is not all that clear just finding the alternator is a pain in the butt. So I know I need to replace the connector when I get to the core of the matter. Now I have seen somewhere that the alternator lives between the cylinders, which makes it sort off accessible. I will admit that up to now I haven't used the VCDS diags for a completer picture, but I have tested the rear battery across the terminals and it was reading 9 volts engine running?

So right now I have the batteries on charge with my smart charger (optimate) from the two connectors under bonnet connectors.

Has anyone done an alternator change on their own and if so have they done a write up. I have had a look but can't find anything directly. I also found that the Delphi alternator has been replaced with an Hitachi one, so there are possibly some issues there too.

Cheers people. :confused:

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
Where have you been? I thought they'd screwed the lid down on you!!

I think the correct VW term for the V10 alternator is generator which may help with more Searches.

I thought it was an engine out job, but I read it's accessible in the V of the engine.

I think [again, there was a very recent post about this either here or on mytreg] that the charging terminals under the bonnet/hood only service the boot/trunk [V10 starting] battery. Again, I'll have a look.

My own thought is, given the amount of draw on any modern car, let alone the V10 with all its ancillaries, if the alternator/generator is duff you'd know about it in a matter of minutes out on the road with the dash lighting up like a Christmas tree and the car shutting consumer items down.

I assume you've seen this thread but I'll post it regardless:

http://www.mytreg.com/index.php?/to...-t2-and-t3-battery-including-both-in-the-v10/

Spotted this so perhaps it is a faulty clutch. I think the coupling has two separate parts - the coupling itself and the clutch. I understand from others that both parts should be replaced as service items.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/our-latest-excellent-vw-service-experience-20957.html

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi nooby, no still here, been rebuilding my Motor bike, Honda GL1000 from 87. This has just come up in the last few days. I know that there are two ancillaries connected together through that toothed drive.! Geny or Alt whichever, I think that one is on the front. What the back one is I can't remember off hand. So thanks I will check out that link.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.