Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, now I have read on here or another treg site about alternator problems on the V10, mine is 2005. But I don't have the same problem as those, so VCDS doesn't say anything no codes, so this is a bit of a hit or miss problem.

If the weather is cold below 10 Celsius once I start the car the voltmeter doesn't get of 12-13 volts for quite a long time, well it seems to me that the engine gets warm(r), and the volts go up to 14 when the revs go up to about 3 thou. So either low ratio and gun it or stationary and rev it. the crazy thing is for the rest of the day when I start it it goes up to 14 volts.

Now if it is at night no matter how warm the engine it won't hit 14V until I stop, switch off and then restart get it to 14v then switch on the lights etc it stays at 14v.

I understand that the drive for it comes of a pump towards the back of the engine and under the inlet manifolds. I think I have read that the connector is a "clutch"? Also they have changed the OEM around that time for the Alternator. Has anyone done this job or any insight into this job. IE how long will it take etc. I have seen the alternator replaced on You Tube by I think some Polish guys, they have the inlet manifolds out the way and it sits very nicely between the two cylinder heads.

So the question should be replace the alternator or clutch. I am sure I remember a owner saying he took it to VW they changed the alternator when in fact only the clutch/connector need to be replaced.

Any help on this or views will be much appreciated. :(

·
Registered
609 Posts
Exactly what I had wrong with mine. I REBUILT my alternator, when I took it apart my brushes were shot so that was my problem, likely yours. I have 160k miles. Hope this helped, maybe you can find a alternator rebuilder close by. Mine would start at 10/12 then shoot up to 14 over time. Now it works great. Also, a new alt. costs a hell of a lot more than getting it fixed.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that can I ask how long did it take to get to the alternator, I have seen a thing on Youtube but all in Polish I think, so no idea, I think to get to the alternator would take a bout 3-4 hours maybe less. My Indy is a bit unsure about this so looks like I will have to do it myself.

I can get it out of the weather under my car port so then it would be just time.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Thanks for that can I ask how long did it take to get to the alternator, I have seen a thing on Youtube but all in Polish I think, so no idea, I think to get to the alternator would take a bout 3-4 hours maybe less. My Indy is a bit unsure about this so looks like I will have to do it myself.

I can get it out of the weather under my car port so then it would be just time.
Actually taking off the alternator was a PAIN. At least 3/4 hours, I went from the side wheel well. V10 maybe is different, you may even need to take the engine down.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No I have seen it done from the top, just removing the inlet manifold remove some other bit, sounds easy but like all these things there are always some problems. Thanks for the info anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts