Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the alterator/battery B+ cable ($10 from ECS Tuning) on my 2004 V8 with air suspension. Took me about twenty-something hours to complete and I wanted to share some helpful tips for anyone else tackling this job:

1. The nut on the alternator is 13mm. I had to use a craftsman max access 1/4 in. drive to fit due to limited clearance.

2. The nut on the starter is 13mm. I used a 1/4 in. drive swivel socket with over a foot of 1/4 in. drive extensions. I turned the steering all the way to the right to allow access as per TSB. I used a telescoping magnet to remove the nut once almost off the threads.

3. The BOLT (TSB specified a nut) on the metal tube/support is a 5mm hex and can be accessed from the top of the engine. You will not be able to see much, but you can follow the cat up to locate it and it is located just above the cat/exhaust connection. You can feel it and use a 5mm hex bit in a socket (1/4 in. I think) with about 6 in. of extension on a 1/4 in. drive ratchet. The cat does NOT need to be removed as I found out after being unable to remove rusty bracket bolts.

4. The nut on the remote jump terminal is an easy 13mm nut.

5. Use something to tie onto the ends of the cable to aid in installing the new one.

The one bold I could not get back in was the top bolt that secures the cat bracket to the transmission. Made me extra mad because I didn't have to remove it in the first place!

The main difference I noticed between the old an the new is the new has a protective sheathing around where the wires connect into the starter terminal. These wires were a bit corroded and exposed on the old cable.

Upon startup my voltage read 13.5v as opposed to the ~12v and sometimes lower I used to get. Hoping the voltage stays up there as I am tired of the consumers being switched off and phantom low voltage codes being thrown.

Hope this saves someone some time. Best of luck and much patience to anyone else who does this.

Reactions: NhPoolguy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info. I'm going to be doing the same here soon. However, I can't seem to find a part number for the cable. If the cable I'm thinking of is part #7L0971228B, and I'm pretty sure it is, then ECS Tuning wants $200 for it. Is this the same part? Can anyone confirm if this is the right cable. The cable I'm going to replace is the one that connects to the positive charging terminal, as it has a mfg date of '03. Just haven't been able to locate the correct part number in any posts or TSB's.
Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts