Club Touareg Forum banner

All US e-Golfs being recalled

11K views 92 replies 21 participants last post by  Fourdiesel 
#1 ·
Volkswagen's Electric Car Offensive in the U.S. Just Stalled - Fortune

Volkswagen is recalling all the electric versions of its Golf compacts sold in the U.S., after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration discovered a fault in their batteries that makes the car stall.

VW began the recall on March 15, due to “oversensitive diagnostics for the high-voltage battery management system (that) may falsely detect an electrical surge resulting in the vehicle’s electric drive motor shutting down unexpectedly.”

#4 ·
If this was a Tesla they'd probably be able to push out a software update without going through the hassle of a recall.

If my local dealer is any indication, many of those 5500 e-Golfs were leased to dealer employees. They drive them to work every day and charge them on the dealer's dime. I bet not many e-Golfs have actually been sold.

#7 ·
If the e-Golf had the 200-mile range of a Tesla Model 3 at the same price, would there be 250,000+ pre-orders for the e-Golf?

Tesla Model 3 orders surpass $10 billion | VentureBeat | Business | by Blaise Zerega
Not looking like a regular old hatchback. Tesla is selling a brand name and an image, a unique looking car, performance, and other features beyond just range. Also, unlike an eGolf where you actually have to buy it, the Model 3 has so far sold nothing more than a fully refundable deposit.

#10 ·
Lots of people with 1000 bucks to buy a car that doesn't exist, from a car maker that can't make more that a few thousand cars per year.

Believe the hype or there's a sucker born every minute, I'm not sure which slogan is more appropriate here

Tesla is just the next iPhone for the minions, if they really wanted an electric car the 100mile range egolf, Nissan leaf and Ford focus are available right now

#11 ·
Personally, I have a mental block about less than 100 miles on a charge. I would want at least 200 miles in a passenger car. I can work with that. Like I said, I'd be more interested in a $35K-$40K e-Golf with 200 mile range than a Tesla, but hey, that's coming from a self-confessed VW-a-holic. ;)

I'm pretty sure even Elon Musk is surprised at 250K+ preorders for the Model 3. Time will tell if Tesla can build & deliver a real car as promised, and whether all those pre-orders turn out to be real too.

Other e-car builders including VW have undoubtedly taken notice of this though.

#13 ·
Dropping down to the '$35K' market is a whole new set of issues. There will be very little room for the errors that now plague the S. The claimed 215 mile range is just that - claimed. From the side, the 3 looks like a smoothed out Elantra behind the A pillar and a Ford Fusion in front of the A pillar. I might be interested when the 3 is in its 5th year of production - 10 years from now.:rolleyes:

#17 ·
The hate is strong in this thread.

It seems like a lot of you possibly just scrape headlines and then build unsupported theories about Tesla.

It's ok, in a decade you'll have forgotten how much you hate them, when that technology starts to permeate into the rest of the auto world.

Matter of fact, I bet you'll retell the story about how you where the only forward thinking guy on your block that could see how Tesla was making the right moves!

#19 ·
When a company with a wildly successful brand name and positive public image is burning through over a billion dollars per year more than they bring in, it is perfectly reasonable to question the feasibility of their business model. When their top selling product is still 18+ months away, all deposits are 100% refundable, and there are competitors planning to enter the market, it is only reasonable to question if the market interest will turn into actual sales or not.

The fact is, Tesla does not have the money to last the next 18 months and deliver the model 3 and supercharger stations they have promised. They need to get investors to bet on their future success or they won't even have a chance to try. Their tech is nothing special, and the more established and experienced auto makers are poised to pounce when market acceptance and profitable price points coincide.

#20 ·
Doesn't each electric vehicle sold get a $XXXX taxpayer funded price break? The electric car is still massively overpriced for what it does, but everyone else foots the bill while the choir sings the praises of electric vehicles. If the taxpayer subsides did NOT exist, would Tesla sell as many?

Please don't talk about how this "new" technology needs government funding to get started. Electric vehicles have been around since BEFORE gas powered ones. But power, recharging, and range are still the biggest obstacles, and still not overcome.

Can someone say "THIS is the date that the subsidies will end, and Tesla will be profitable without the subsidy" ?

#21 ·
The thing the more established auto-maker have been way too lazy with electric tech and instead of relesing products ahead of regulations they still have that tendency to evolve there products only when forced to do it...

Tesla even if they shut down will always be rememberd for being the company who was ahead of there time !

#22 ·
I believe the tax breaks to the buyer go away when Tesla hits a certain sales volume.

The other auto companies have not been lazy with electric tech. Most have been doing hydrogen fuel, electric and other alternative fuel research for many years. The reality is that there is still no ground breaking tech in any electric cars. The lithium ion batteries are decades old, and the electric motors even older. The digital management is new and flashy but nothing proprietary or special.

The problem has and continues to be cost. As expensive as they are, Tesla is selling the Model S at a huge loss. Other companies are not competing with them because it would be financialy stupid to do so.

#27 ·
I actually like what Tesla has been doing. They are building electric cars that appeal to a much larger consumer base than just the greenies. They are building electric cars that automotive enthusiasts can appreciate.

This is why it's appealing to me.
- 2.8s 0-60
- Stylish exterior
- Lots of tech
- Luxurious interior
- OTA updates
- AWD option

Seriously, I think Tesla has done a good job of making cars that are marketable to people who want more than just an eco friendly commuter car. Look at any of the other EVs that are made by the other companies and they're lame. I would never spend my money on those boring cars but if I did have an extra $150k to burn on an around town ride, it could be a Model S P90D with ludacris mode. However I don't, so I won't be getting one any time soon.

#28 ·
I actually like what Tesla has been doing. They are building electric cars that appeal to a much larger consumer base than just the greenies. They are building electric cars that automotive enthusiasts can appreciate. This is why it's appealing to me. - 2.8s 0-60 - Stylish exterior - Lots of tech - Luxurious interior - OTA updates - AWD option Seriously, I think Tesla has done a good job of making cars that are marketable to people who want more than just an eco friendly commuter car. Look at any of the other EVs that are made by the other companies and they're lame. I would never spend my money on those boring cars but if I did have an extra $150k to burn on an around town ride, it could be a Model S P90D with ludacris mode. However I don't, so I won't be getting one any time soon.
I could never drive a Bolt or a LEAF without feeling emasculated. Not so with a Tesla or e-Golf.

#37 ·
Anyone can put 90 kvh worth of batteries into a car. Tesla can't do anything that the other car companies cannot also do if they choose. The problem is the cost of that range is higher than what consumers are willing to pay right now. Tesla is OK with losing a billion here and there, while "all other car makers" would prefer not to.

#42 ·
Maybe you guys have forgotten how industry works. There is inherently a lot of government subsidy in everything fuel wise. Ethanol anyone? Great idea to subsidize a fuel made from corn... Of which comes from nutrients in soil that we already globally have a depleting problem with.

As for the talk about powering the cars nationally off a dirty grid. Well that can change if we're able to get back to nuclear and change over to that carrying the base load. From there you can add in the other renewable options to your hearts desire.

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/8937984
(Skip over the talk of Cruz)

Fact is that while your cutting down Tesla for taking handouts you seem to be forgetting what saved GM a few years ago to the tune of 50 billion.

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBREA3T0MR20140430

Tesla, SpaceX, and solar city have combined cost he government only 4.9 billion. (Now we could get creative and say did we lose that when you take in the workers added and value? That's for another topic.)

https://www.rt.com/usa/264065-musk-tesla-government-subsidies/

So while your getting all high and mighty just remember they all take the edge where they can find it.

#50 ·
Fact is that while your cutting down Tesla for taking handouts you seem to be forgetting what saved GM a few years ago to the tune of 50 billion.
Actually, the government did not save GM. If the government had stayed out of it, GM have gone through the normal reorganization bankruptcy process, and would have come out as an operating company with less debt. GM would have survived. What the government saved through its interference in the normal bankruptcy process was the UNIONS involved, at the expense of GM's creditors. In other words, the government picked the winners and the losers, and with a Democratic administration that meant the winners would be the unions. That's almost always the result when the government picks. Politics drives the answer.

#43 ·
Most I think are bothered by Tesla because the purchase of their product is subsidized by the masses when the people purchasing them are generally significantly above the median income / net worth level. These vehicles are also likely third or fourth cars in these households.

If you take out the tax subsidies and we the people have nothing to do with subsidizing them, then I would be fine with them.

An EV would be good as a commuter, but makes more sense to me to buy an old $4,000 mk4 Golf with a gas 2.0 and a manual (would love a TDI, but that old has a billion miles on them). Odds are the Mk4 will still be on the road ten years from now given how easy that motor is to work on and how old the tech is...

#45 ·
Most I think are bothered by Tesla because the purchase of their product is subsidized by the masses when the people purchasing them are generally significantly above the median income / net worth level. These vehicles are also likely third or fourth cars in these households. If you take out the tax subsidies and we the people have nothing to do with subsidizing them, then I would be fine with them.
^ This. I wish Tesla the best in developing a workable, affordable, stylish electric car. I might even buy one. But unless Elon is trying to develop compact nuclear fusion to power his electric cars, then my tax dollars should be used to subsidize Tesla buyers. :)

#44 ·
Spiegelglatt,

I hear that and that's exactly my take away. But that isn't something you hold against a single company when all diesel and EVs are taking tax credits (subsidies).

It's no different than anything else in life. Hey I see you put up a solar system on your house; you know I helped you pay for that. (Tax credit)

Or Hey congrats and the more efficient windows and machines; you know I helped you pay for that. (Tax credit)

Lol, hey how's your kid doing in school? You know I care because I helped you pay for that. (Property taxes)

It's endless; welcome to society. :)

#49 ·
Another way to look at it is the e-car buyer's $7500 tax credit is the same whether they're buying a $30K LEAF or a $90K Tesla. UNFAIR!! Lol.

Tesla is a market disruptor with its entire business model. I want to see how far they can go in that mode.

Tax breaks: Let's see, I get to deduct property taxes, mortgage interest, dependents, etc. I'm also on Social Security and Obamacare. Soon it'll be Medicare. I'm skating through on government subsidies! *eek*

#61 ·
Governments shouldn't manage anything business wise! I'll agree with that; but they can invest / back emerging technology.

Electric cars are not new. However the storage capacity that they have and are gaining is. So the question is should something like that be subsidized? I say yes, because historically we all benefit from it.

Now as you've previously said Solyndra failed, but that had to more to do with outside factors like China flooding the market and falling silicone prices. So did they fail because the tech was bogus? Not by a long-shot.

Technology is always risky, but hey look at me chatting with you on my cellphone from the beaches of Florida! :D

#62 ·
Electric cars are not new. However the storage capacity that they have and are gaining is. So the question is should something like that be subsidized? I say yes, because historically we all benefit from it.
Then invest in/subsidize the R&D to develop battery storage capacity that may not be funded otherwise by private industry, and not in subsidizing a product that may or may not be using it.

Technology is always risky, but hey look at me chatting with you on my cellphone from the beaches of Florida! :D
And the role of the federal government in developing that cell phone was what exactly? :)

#64 ·
This thread apparently isn't reality based.

Beamermike therefore is right, nothing that has been partially, marginally, or completely bankrolled by the US government has been of technological use.

#66 ·
Just a reminder, it's not just a car with a big pack of batteries.

Tesla is not about being an EV. It's the software.

Capable of Finding parking spot in a parking lot and park on its own. I know i3 does this, but that's only in well organized Germany.

Drop you off at LAX and then meet you at JFK. Also charge itself at Supercharge stations along the way.

Nightly OS updates for new features for free. You wake up in the morning and suddenly your car can do self driving or can do 0-60 0.2 seconds faster...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.