Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All 3 keys will not lock or unlock the drivers door. They do however start the vehicle.
Both remotes work fine and have recently renewed batteries.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Well, it is not the immobilizer. You would have a no start with a warning on the screen. Of course, sticking the key into the keyhole uses a different system then the remote uses. So, you could have a 100% dead remote, but putting the key into the ignition would still work in 2006. The passive id chip attached to the mechanical key is good.

We need more info. Can you unlock the other 3 doors? Does the key work in the drivers door? Can you lock and unlock the other doors by putting the key in the drivers door. How about the panic button? Does it work?

Do you just have the remote key unlock, or do you also have the keyless entry system? Do you also have a keyless start button?

Go into the MFI and reset the settings. Anything that deals with locking or unlocking doors should be changed to the opposite setting. There are two or three options in the 2006 MFI. Change them all. Get out of the car and lock it. Unlock it and get back in. Has anything changed.

If the swapped settings are not what you want, set it back to they way you like it.

Not to grump, but this is almost "It won't start. Do you know why?" so help us out with some more info. I have given you all I can with the little bit of info you gave us.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the remote key I think, although there is a keyless option in the settings. No start button though, or panic button that I know of.

Nothing responds to the keys except the ignition. I have tried different MFI settings. They do not change and the result is consistent.

Thanks, I hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Panic button is RED on side of fob. If your fob is worn, the bottom might have writing worn off (might be smooth).

Does physical key inserted into drivers door work? Be careful, when using physical key you must insert key into ignition and turn ignition on (say to auxiliary...not necessarily start motor) to avoid alarm going off after 30 seconds or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is definetly no panic button on either fob.

Yes, The keys all turn in the drivers doors, easily and in both directions. Nothing happens, no alarm either,

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
There is definetly no panic button on either fob.

Yes, The keys all turn in the drivers doors, easily and in both directions. Nothing happens, no alarm either,
This does not sound right. I have seen panic buttons on every VW fob I have ever seen. Granted, I realize things are different for ROW vehicles, but this sounds odd. Are they VW Fobs?

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
Images of my 2 keys / Remotes attached. The third is just a plastic blade.

What's an ROW vehicle btw?
ROW= Rest Of World. To clarify everyplace aside front North America gets better or more unique options than we can get. Can you show the sides of your Fob?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
3d0 959 753 am (I read the id part number off of your picture, it is under the key blade when key is closed)
https://www.google.com/search?q=3d0+959+753+am

The Q version (3D0 959 753 Q) is for Touareg without the keyless entry/start.

The T version (3D0 959 753 T) is for Touaregs with the keyless entry/start.

3d0 959 753 AM is not a Touareg Part Number.

Somebody has put in a correctly cut key and id chip into a non Touareg remote. It will work to manually unlock the drivers door and to start the car, but that is all. All the remote functions will not work.

That is a VW 2002 to 2009 remote used on select Beetles, Golf, Jettas, Passats.

·
Super Moderator
9,364 Posts
The should still have a panic button though unless that was a NA thing, but i doubt it. I know my Ex's 05 B 5.5 Passat had the button.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. All remote functions do work though. Manual functions do not (locking and unlocking with key), starting works.

If the key just mechanical should it not work in the door as well as it does in the ignition?

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
OK. If the remote works, my best guess is that the remote case was badly worn / damaged and someone moved the Touareg remote internal electronics from one case to another case. Since the remote works, leave it alone and don't worry about it.

So, you are saying that the only problem is that when you stick the key in the door, that the door will not lock and unlock with the key?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok.

Yes - the only problem is un/locking the car with the key. It turns either direction easily but no reaction from the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Are you sure that you don't have a sticky lock? This is a very common Touareg problem.

Insert the key in the door. Turn the key 90 degrees clockwise to lock.

Insert the key in the door. Turn the key 90 degrees anti clockwise to unlock.

The key should spring back to the center easily under its own power. If you have to move it back to center, the lock is sticky.

I don't get much feedback from the vehicle when using the key. I can see the red alarm light/activate when I lock the door with the key.

When unlocking, the key in the door does not deactivate the red alarm led. This is because unlocking the door with the mechanical key will not disarm the alarm. Once you open the door, you have 15 to 30 seconds to put the key in the ignition and turn the vehicle on, before the siren goes off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts