Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,934 Posts
@Golf Wang
Check your alignment specs (even the ones that they are trying to hit) against the service manual.
Don't pay for\accept an alignment as "complete" until all the values are within range.
Also, if your alignment was already bad, you should've been able to tell by uneven or strange tire wear on your last set of tires that you've just replaced.

@volkswagens-for-life
If your alignment is constantly going out, you have excessively worn out suspension components, or whatever shop is checking your alignment is taking you to the cleaners.
.....or it's all a result of your power mods and the mad tq yo..... and all those larger than HD pickup loads you tow around :p

Re NA alignments and tire rotation requirements vs ROW
I believe that we do have some crappy roads on this side of the pond, but I also believe that dealers\shops just love to charge people for alignments and tire rotations and it's very easy money (especially when you don't actually complete an alignment as per example above)

I typically only get something aligned or checked if I've had the suspension apart, or if it pulls, or if I experience funny tire wear.

· Registered
'14 TDI Execline
3,934 Posts
@Golf Wang
Verify the base settings against your actual suspension code too just to make sure.
I see the clowns that are doing your alignment are almost 2 decades back in time, so I'd check everything! :p
They must be experts since they are doing an alignment on a 2016 model 13 years before it comes to market! :sneaky:
Here's a visual for you.
Product Rectangle Font Line Material property

· Registered
5,666 Posts
The tire rotation and alignment fetish in the USA must have some basis in reality other than dealer and service profit maximisation I hope :).

The driving styles and distances and tendency to hit curbs and differences in road construction profile and presence of more concrete roads and higher temperatures may all be possible contributors versus other regions. The USA across its regions is about as different as Australia is from Finland so hard to be definite about anything.

I regularly check and play with my race car alignment. This does not need high tech tools, as a couple of string lines and a Vernier calliper and a bit of calculation gets all the toe in and thrust angles and a cheap digital camber / caster gauge gets those angles. I have checked my Treg a couple of times over the last 2 years since I got it and its been in spec and not moved in that time and looks like its never been adjusted since new as far as I can tell from the adjustment bolts. Tyres are all wearing evenly without rotation also over the 35k kms since I got it

cheers
Rohan
Interesting view on that matter, something to think about actually 😎

· Registered
99 Posts
I rarely rotate the tires and have always had 100% even wear, so when they need replacing all 4 need replacing. But I did just have the front diff replaced. so I HAD to get the alignment, good lord that thing was hard to find and pricey... replacing the turbo this week :( anyways if you have perfectly even wear, and no pulling. I dont see any reason to get an alignment..

· Registered
12 Posts
Hi ClubT - I got my 2016 TDI Exec a 4-wheel alignment last month. Attached is the before/after.

Does anything jump out to anyone based on your understanding/experience as an indication of any suspension issues, or simply poor work on the shop’s end?

The one thing that kinda scares me is the Toe adjustment. It was pretty far out of spec before (Left: -0.28 ; Right: 0.33), and appears still out of whack after (Left: 0.22 ; Right: -1.13). The min/max values for toe as stated are .04-.16. It states the “Total” before was .05, and -.91 after. The min/max on these values are .08-.33. It looks to me it was better off before than after, since the before total is only .03 degrees out Of spec on the low end, and the after total is a full 1 degree out of spec on the low end of the range.

I know essentially nothing about alignments, so I don’t even know what toe really means. Really just looking for a second look / opinion on whether this is anything to be concerned about / look into fixing. I’d love to hear “it’s fine”
Go back to wherever you had this done and demand your money back and then take it to a shop that looks at the results before they release the vehicle to the customer.
Show the new shop the results from the first shop and ask for advice on what should have been done and what now needs to be done.
The original readings indicate that the only thing that really needed to be adjusted was the front toe to correct the pull you were experiencing.

You could ask for a free alignment from the first shop but I wouldn't bother asking since they obviously don't know how to do alignments. My 2004 V8 has never had an alignment but I check every few years just to make sure that it hasn't gone out of spec. Alignment is important and it is too easy to drop a wheel into a giant crater and then ruin a tire due to a bad alignment.
Since on these vehicles you really need to replace all 4 at the same time one bad tire can be expensive.
So I applaud your decision to check the alignment.

· Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive white/terracotta
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The frustrating part here, is I drove 1.5 hours away to a shop that was widely lauded for quality work. A place called New German Performance. But time and again I have found that barely any shops live up to their reputation. The only shop I’ve ever felt truly good about working my car doesn’t have an alignment rack, which is the only reason I didn’t take it to them lol. They build RS3’s.

I’m gonna call NGP and request a refund for the alignment and take it to a local shop with a hunter machine that has decent reviews, and make sure they know the only value I want adjusted is the front toe to get things within spec.

· Registered
307 Posts
A very long time ago I was in the back of a car with my girlfriend. Her friend was driving her boyfriends car because she was supposedly the designated driver. As she was negotiating a corner the front wheel hit the kerb. Her boyfriend said under his breath, "No wonder I always need a wheel alignment." :giggle:

Australia has lots of potholes and damaged roads due to the rain that we've recently been having. That could be the reason for the wheels going out of alignment and possibly the difference between North America and Europe?

I have my tyres rotated each service. The camber of the road, for drainage, means that there is more weight on the wheels on the left (right hand drive vehicles) and therefore more wear. That was explained to me by the owner of a tyre place that I've become friendly with over the years. I'm not charged for tyre rotation.

I usually get a wheel alignment each time I replace the tyres. It has saved uneven tyre wear a few times and I find it's rather cheap when it's done whilst buying new tyres.

That's just my experience and I can understand why others do things differently. I don't think it's worth the discussion to try and change other people's minds. :)

· Registered
40 Posts
I'll just add that rotations aren't just a north ameroca thing it's a tire company thing. Most if not all tire manufacturers recommend rotations of some kind. Basic principle is front tires get more scrubbing on the sides and rear is the middle. Does this always bode truth, no.

Alignment checks are just good check ups. Let you know suspension wise if all is well. Inspections in the US in most states doesn't even look at the suspension or tires hell, here in Texas my toureg is a visual inspection, yep lights work, has windshield wipers it passes.

· Registered
5,666 Posts
Adding onto @JoshC , most tire warranties (such as the ones I'm driving) explicitly call out tire rotations and alignments

21 - 40 of 43 Posts