Club Touareg Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Touareg TDI Executive white/terracotta
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi ClubT - I got my 2016 TDI Exec a 4-wheel alignment last month. Attached is the before/after.

Does anything jump out to anyone based on your understanding/experience as an indication of any suspension issues, or simply poor work on the shop’s end?

The one thing that kinda scares me is the Toe adjustment. It was pretty far out of spec before (Left: -0.28 ; Right: 0.33), and appears still out of whack after (Left: 0.22 ; Right: -1.13). The min/max values for toe as stated are .04-.16. It states the “Total” before was .05, and -.91 after. The min/max on these values are .08-.33. It looks to me it was better off before than after, since the before total is only .03 degrees out Of spec on the low end, and the after total is a full 1 degree out of spec on the low end of the range.

I know essentially nothing about alignments, so I don’t even know what toe really means. Really just looking for a second look / opinion on whether this is anything to be concerned about / look into fixing. I’d love to hear “it’s fine”

Attachments

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,034 Posts
What prompted you to get a 4 wheel alignment in the first place?
Read the page in the link below for a brief understanding of alignment adjustments and what they effect on a vehicle.
IMO I would like to have seen them do better on the front toe adjustments.
It's possible that too much + or - toe will promote premature tire wear.

Link >>>> 4 Wheel Alignment Explained | Commonwealth Motors

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What prompted you to get a 4 wheel alignment in the first place?
Read the page in the link below for a brief understanding of alignment adjustments and what they effect on a vehicle.
IMO I would like to have seen them do better on the front toe adjustments.
It's possible that too much + or - toe will promote premature tire wear.

Link >>>> 4 Wheel Alignment Explained | Commonwealth Motors
I always hear about how these cars can eat tires so after getting a new set of Michelins i Wanted to make sure the suspension was all in check. I also bought it 6 months ago and its last alignment was 20K ago so I wanted to be sure. Know the state my car is in, as I would really love to drive this beauty for 10+ years. It only has 38K miles currently, purchased @ 30K in January.

·
Registered
2011 VR6 FSI LUX
2,034 Posts
I always hear about how these cars can eat tires so after getting a new set of Michelins i Wanted to make sure the suspension was all in check. I also bought it 6 months ago and its last alignment was 20K ago so I wanted to be sure. Know the state my car is in, as I would really love to drive this beauty for 10+ years. It only has 38K miles currently, purchased @ 30K in January.
I would talk to the company that did the alignment and ask if they can get the front toe in spec. Right now you have one tire (left) pointed inward and the other (right) pointed outward.
I would think the car might pull towards the right a bit if you let go of the wheel on a straight and level road. Over time you'll probably see uneven wear on the tires.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
If it isn't broke don't fix it. I have never had mine checked as it doesn't have any of these issues. Why did you? Whoever did yours has left it out of spec.

1. Vehicle pulling to the left or right
  2. Uneven or rapid tire wear
  3. Steering is crooked when driving straight
If I do ever get it checked it will be on a Hunter pro Align machine.

Home | Hunter Engineering Company®

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would talk to the company that did the alignment and ask if they can get the front toe in spec. Right now you have one tire (left) pointed inward and the other (right) pointed outward.
I would think the car might pull towards the right a bit if you let go of the wheel on a straight and level road. Over time you'll probably see uneven wear on the tires.
yes it does pull right but it pulled right before.

If it isn't broke don't fix it. I have never had mine checked as it doesn't have any of these issues. Why did you? Whoever did yours has left it out of spec.

If I do ever get it checked it will be on a Hunter pro Align machine.

Home | Hunter Engineering Company®
I have gotten every car I’ve ever owned’s alignment done every 30K miles to ensure my suspension is in spec. Simply using your car, driving over expansion bumps in the highway, the occasional pothole, etc etc puts strain on your suspension and, over time, pulls it out of spec. This is a fact for all vehicles.

I will look up locations with a hunter machine and go from there. Thank you all

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Alignments are super critical on the touareg, same as tire rotations. Dealer says you should get alignment checked every oil change. I do it yearly. Alignment is almost ALWAYS out, even just a little bit. Tire rotations every oil change.

Reactions: Golf Wang

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,337 Posts
Alignments are super critical on the touareg, same as tire rotations. Dealer says you should get alignment checked every oil change. I do it yearly. Alignment is almost ALWAYS out, even just a little bit. Tire rotations every oil change.
What is it with roads in USA that makes dealers recommend tyre alignment and rotation every oil change - other markets around the world don't make the same recommendation, specifically for Touareg or generally, so it suggests it's just a money-making exercise.

Touareg tyres seem to wear evenly front-rear so don't need rotation, just replacing in sets of 4 - alignment is only needed when tyre wear shows a problem.

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
What is it with roads in USA that makes dealers recommend tyre alignment and rotation every oil change - other markets around the world don't make the same recommendation, specifically for Touareg or generally, so it suggests it's just a money-making exercise.

Touareg tyres seem to wear evenly front-rear so don't need rotation, just replacing in sets of 4 - alignment is only needed when tyre wear shows a problem.
My experience dictates this necessity. The tires just don't last otherwise. Same with any of our cars.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I spent $1450 on these tires shipped mounted and balanced. If spending another $150 on an alignment ensures they last their whole lifetime (because I will be rotating every oil change), that is $150 well-spent. Your suggestion means if I DID have an alignment problem and wasn’t addressing it proactively, I would burn through my $1450 investment at an accelerated pace. Something that is preventable with proactive alignments at the beginning and middle of the tires’ lives. Also tire rotations are like $30 dude, they are not a money making scheme. Just a best practice to ensure even wear.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
I spent $1450 on these tires shipped mounted and balanced. If spending another $150 on an alignment ensures they last their whole lifetime (because I will be rotating every oil change), that is $150 well-spent.
Your Touareg isn't aligned correctly though? Its clearly out of spec if the report you posted is to be believed. Alignment is best left alone unless there is an issue which on a Touareg with its beefy suspension is not that common.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Your Touareg isn't aligned correctly though? Its clearly out of spec if the report you posted is to be believed. Alignment is best left alone unless there is an issue which on a Touareg with its beefy suspension is not that common.
it just means that place messed it up. I can get it corrected. You are not proving your point here. Again - if I just “left it alone” I would only find out when it is TOO LATW that my alignment is not in spec - your suggestion to “wait until your tires are shot, then you know my oi need an alignment” just doesn’t make sense.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
My car drives true & straight no pulling to the left or right with even tire wear. Are you saying yours doesn't?

Why would I have some ham fisted tire fitter messing around with it?

I am not saying don't check how the tires are wearing, my annual test just did it for me and the report was 6mm all round and I check with a digital guage every so often. Any problems with geometry would be obvious from driving it.

If you have none of these then there isn't an issue. What symptoms did you have?

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
My car drives true & straight no pulling to the left or right with even tire wear. Are you saying yours doesn't?

Why would I have some ham fisted tire fitter messing around with it?

I am not saying don't check how the tires are wearing, my annual test just did it for me and the report was 6mm all round and I check with a digital guage every so often. Any problems with geometry would be obvious from driving it.

If you have none of these then there isn't an issue. What symptoms did you have?

My touareg has never had pulling problems but is constantly a little out of alignment. Going by "feel" doesn't work in these.

Reactions: Golf Wang

·
Registered
4,968 Posts
Why is yours constantly out of alignment if you have it regularly checked?
I don't know enough about the suspension engineering in these, but they're definitely quite sensitive evidently. Tough as hell, but still sensitive

·
Registered
433 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why is yours constantly out of alignment if you have it regularly checked?
because when you drive it, it goes out of spec over time. So when you get an alignment - you bring it back to “center.” Then over X mileS, it slowly drifts away from spec. Then you get it back into spec. This is true for all vehicles, FWD, Haldex AWD, Longitudinal RWD, Longitudinal AWD, Mid engine, rear engine, hybrid, BEV, Toyota Corolla, McLaren.

Th is a simple fact bred from the laws of physics bearing down upon several thousand pound machines and their multi-angled steering racks.

this conversation is really gnawing

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,337 Posts
because when you drive it, it goes out of spec over time. So when you get an alignment - you bring it back to “center.” Then over X mileS, it slowly drifts away from spec. Then you get it back into spec. This is true for all vehicles, FWD, Haldex AWD, Longitudinal RWD, Longitudinal AWD, Mid engine, rear engine, hybrid, BEV, Toyota Corolla, McLaren.

Th is a simple fact bred from the laws of physics bearing down upon several thousand pound machines and their multi-angled steering racks.

this conversation is really gnawing
Presumably the same laws of physics apply all around the world - so they don't explain why drivers in the USA feel they need regular suspension alignment and those in Europe don't.

Cars aren't built fundamentallty different for the two continents although the alignment settings vary to reflect the difference in crown road construction in Europe and flat road construction in North America.

·
Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
464 Posts
The tire rotation and alignment fetish in the USA must have some basis in reality other than dealer and service profit maximisation I hope :).

The driving styles and distances and tendency to hit curbs and differences in road construction profile and presence of more concrete roads and higher temperatures may all be possible contributors versus other regions. The USA across its regions is about as different as Australia is from Finland so hard to be definite about anything.

I regularly check and play with my race car alignment. This does not need high tech tools, as a couple of string lines and a Vernier calliper and a bit of calculation gets all the toe in and thrust angles and a cheap digital camber / caster gauge gets those angles. I have checked my Treg a couple of times over the last 2 years since I got it and its been in spec and not moved in that time and looks like its never been adjusted since new as far as I can tell from the adjustment bolts. Tyres are all wearing evenly without rotation also over the 35k kms since I got it

cheers
Rohan

1 - 20 of 37 Posts