Club Touareg Forum banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
479 Posts
Do you have a link or some pdf from ZF?
Because that’s my issue, I hear 60k miles, 80k, 30k it’s all over the map and it’s all hearsay.

Same on aisin, ok, fluid has to be changed, but which fluid type, which method, which interval, and where is an official source for it?
Some official aisin marketing stuff below for what its worth

Personally I think 20k kms listed by Aisin is excessive and that around 60k to 80k kms is fine if doing a full flush out of old fluid and full charge of new fluid. If doing just a drain a refill where you replace about 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid in the transmission then do it every 30k to 40k kms.

cheers
Rohan

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 V6
47 Posts
Changing fluid periodically is "not bad" for any transmission if it's done correctly. Whether fluid changes actually "increase" longevity on the later Aisin transmissions is probably "unknowable" at this point in their life cycles, and would require data I'm guessing no one is seriously collecting.

Personally I think 20k kms listed by Aisin is excessive and that around 60k to 80k kms is fine if doing a full flush out of old fluid and full charge of new fluid. If doing just a drain a refill where you replace about 1/3 to 1/2 of the fluid in the transmission then do it every 30k to 40k kms.

cheers
Rohan
The sensible approach.

·
Registered
VW Touareg 7P 2015 4xMotion
41 Posts

cheers
Rohan
Thank you for the information, I'll check it out.

See, exactly that is my issue now (being my first car with a torque converter automatic gearbox), all I hear is people's personal opinion, and in this day and age, I've come to trust that less and less :)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Fluid type has been discussed ad infinitum on here. I used Ravenol T-WS many many others are available. I did it DIY so did a pan drop filter change then after a few miles a second non pan drop drain & fill. VCDS takes care of the level & fluid temperature.

Can you not Google ZF ATF change yourself?

I did it for you.

How to Change the Transmission Oil on a Passenger Car - ZF Aftermarket

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fluid type has been discussed ad infinitum on here. I used Ravenol T-WS many many others are available. I did it DIY so did a pan drop filter change then after a few miles a second non pan drop drain & fill. VCDS takes care of the level & fluid temperature.

Can you not Google ZF ATF change yourself?

I did it for you.

How to Change the Transmission Oil on a Passenger Car - ZF Aftermarket
I know it has been discussed, it has been discussed on a lot of forums, but it's always personal opinions, never anything official from AISIN. We have AISIN not ZF transmissions. I will google and see what I can find.

It's ridiculous that in the year 2021 we still have this chaotic way of explaining things, the manufacturers are the only to blame for this 'lifetime' thing. I get that they don't want to train their techs for something that will almost never be done during the car's warranty period, but they could make a ton of money aftermarket at least.

At all the VW dealers I went they all claim "lifetime sealed and to not touch it". Transmission exclusive workshops have an incentive to tell you to change it yearly, so I find them hard to trust as well.

It feels like we're in no man's land here :))

·
Registered
2013 7P Touareg R line V8 4.2 TDI
479 Posts
Thank you for the information, I'll check it out.

See, exactly that is my issue now (being my first car with a torque converter automatic gearbox), all I hear is people's personal opinion, and in this day and age, I've come to trust that less and less :)
The problem is that the "official" sources" vary so much e.g. for essentially the same transmission
Aisin recommendation of 20k km
Toyotas of 60k to 90k km depending on use
VW "lifetime fill" ( but buried in the maintenance details they recommend shorter intervals depending on usage similar to Toyota)

So you have to make a personal judgement on what is reasonable given your use and you dont really have 10 years to run a series of controlled oil life tests on your own car. So it gets down to how long do you think a modern full synthetic low viscosity transmission oil to the correct specification ( e.g. Toyota WS) will last. My decision to do a partial change every 30 to 40 k kms is reasonable in my opinion.

cheers
Rohan

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I know we have Aisin transmissions but I was responding to your question.

Do you have a link or some pdf from ZF?
Because that’s my issue, I hear 60k miles, 80k, 30k it’s all over the map and it’s all hearsay.

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,349 Posts
In the olden days it was easy to take the dipstick out and examine the colour of the fluid - translucent red= fresh fluid - opaque red=normal - brown= time to change and black=too late! So much for "progress".

·
Registered
472 Posts
I did notice in the touareg maintenance schedule at 80k it list a DSG service and also automatic transmission service without model specification. To me it seems 80k would be a good time to change all the differential,transfer case, and transmission fluids. That’s probably what I will go with for mine. Maybe 60k if I have towed frequently. But I guess it’s gonna be a crap shoot at to what is the best interval. It seems this same Aisin gets many different intervals for different applications. Does the q7 or Cayenne list an interval?

·
Registered
2015 (2016 MY) Touareg SE 3.0 V6 TDi 262PS
1,349 Posts
Any Touareg maintenance schedule that requires a DSG service is a load of cobblers and should be dumped in the trash bin straight away - the Touareg has never had a DSG fitted.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Porsche Cayenne gearbox service is 160,000 miles more interestingly diesel engine oil changes are 5k.
Audi Q7 have an ATF change every 35k but only in the USA. This is for the 2011 so maybe because of the 6 speed solenoids sticking issue??

Font Material property Parallel Magenta Rectangle

·
Registered
472 Posts
Any Touareg maintenance schedule that requires a DSG service is a load of cobblers and should be dumped in the trash bin straight away - the Touareg has never had a DSG fitted.
If you read my post I only mentioned the DSG service because right below that it says ANY automatic transmission 80k. SEPARATE line. Unfortunately the service manuals here in the states group all vehicles together. So you have to pick out the ones that pertain to your vehicle which I feel is a bit of rubbish.

Did any Q7’s get the 8 speed Aisin? Interesting Porsche is at 160k.

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you read my post I only mentioned the DSG service because right below that it says ANY automatic transmission 80k. SEPARATE line. Unfortunately the service manuals here in the states group all vehicles together. So you have to pick out the ones that pertain to your vehicle which I feel is a bit of rubbish.

Did any Q7’s get the 8 speed Aisin? Interesting Porsche is at 160k.
From what I know, the Q7 is still using the first generation platform of Touareg/Cayenne.
The second generation Q7 jumped a platform, and uses directly the latest one, used for Touareg CR, Benteyga, and the 2018 Cayenne.

The shared platform of Touareg 7P is only shared with the Cayenne, the 3.0 diesels have basically the exact same drivetrain with the gearbox being set from software to be more aggressive. But the engine, gearbox, differentials, suspension, they're all exactly the same.

The Cayenne starts to diverge from the Touareg 7P only from the S and Turbo S version upwards.

·
Registered
805 Posts
From what I know, the Q7 is still using the first generation platform of Touareg/Cayenne.
The second generation Q7 jumped a platform, and uses directly the latest one, used for Touareg CR, Benteyga, and the 2018 Cayenne.

The shared platform of Touareg 7P is only shared with the Cayenne, the 3.0 diesels have basically the exact same drivetrain with the gearbox being set from software to be more aggressive. But the engine, gearbox, differentials, suspension, they're all exactly the same.

The Cayenne starts to diverge from the Touareg 7P only from the S and Turbo S version upwards.
The newer generation of Q7 (4M - 2017+) diverged from the Touareg/Cayenne (as, I believe has the Urus and Bentayga). The Q7 now has a ZF tranny in it (I know because I have one). I had a 2014 Touareg with the Aisin and my biggest complaint was that it was a little sluggish in shifts - more slushy than crisp. I towed like crazy with it and did a drain and fill at ~75k miles - the fluid was dark and burned. I filled with Ravenol. It marginally improved things, but I think much of it was just the transmission programming.

FWIW, the Aisin is used extensively by Toyota. And while they are mostly soulless vehicles, they are also pretty bulletproof. Ergo, the Aisin is pretty bulletproof.

·
Registered
41 Posts
The newer generation of Q7 (4M - 2017+) diverged from the Touareg/Cayenne (as, I believe has the Urus and Bentayga). The Q7 now has a ZF tranny in it (I know because I have one). I had a 2014 Touareg with the Aisin and my biggest complaint was that it was a little sluggish in shifts - more slushy than crisp. I towed like crazy with it and did a drain and fill at ~75k miles - the fluid was dark and burned. I filled with Ravenol. It marginally improved things, but I think much of it was just the transmission programming.

FWIW, the Aisin is used extensively by Toyota. And while they are mostly soulless vehicles, they are also pretty bulletproof. Ergo, the Aisin is pretty bulletproof.
Yep, you're right, the new platform (which is essentially the next generation of the 7P/Cayenne) has the ZF. All of them have the ZF, Cayenne, Audi, Benteyga, etc. I don't even think you have a choice, even the sportier version still have the ZF (probably a beefier version but still same 10 speed ZF). From what I understand it's currently the ultimate automatic transmission, everyone from BMW, Mercedes, FCA, even the super beefy engines.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts

·
Registered
2018 R Line V8
12 Posts
Just a point of interest with this conversation of Aisin verses ZF. I drive the V8 TDI with the Aisin box. I can't fault it so far. I have also driven the v6 Amarok ute or small truck, and these I have been informed have the ZF 8 speed. I prefer the Aisin. Might be the difference with the v8, but I find it smoother changing. I would point out it has only done 30000kms so barely run in.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I have no experience with the ZF. The Aisin was original developed by VW for their Diesel engines. The V6 and V8. So it definitely matches well with the TDI. It is smooth, almost always in the right gear, and drops down and responds to the throttle input very nicely. I love the way the throttle is attenuated. Smooth as butter with low input and very responsive with abrupt input. I find the calibrations spot on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
There’s a simple reasons more vehicles are being sold with “lifetime” transmission oil. It’s all about marketing. It’s easier to sell a car when the new owner will “never” have to worry about servicing the transmission. The chances of the transmission lasting the lifetime of the warrantee is all that really matters to the marketing department. A $200 service can easily extend the life of a $8,000 transmission.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.