Club Touareg Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm touring Australia and I'm near Geraldton WA. Today my Air Con packed up, crunching noise from the engine bay:anger:. Can anybody recommend a competent dealer service department in the area? we are heading to Perth and will stay there for a few days, otherwise there is on in Geraldton what is he like? If anybody could let me know I'd appreciate your help. Oh it's over 37 Celsius in Kalbarri and we'll be leaving here on Monday. Our trip so far was Sydney Bourke Cunnamulla Innamincka Birdsville Boulia Plenty HW Alice Spring Gary Junction HW Marble Bar Port Headland Broom Cape Leveque Port Headland Roebuck Millstream NP Tom Price Karijini NP Mt Augustus Exmouth Gascoyne Junction Carnarvon Denham Peron NP and now Kalbarri.
Markus

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Hi Markus,
you guys certainly have been doing some leasurely travels since we spoke at Boulia in June!
Bummer about your AC but it could have happened in a lot worst area than close to Perth, I'm sure a couple of our Perth members will point you in the right direction.
Is that the only issue you have had with the R5 on trip?
Wish you both safe travels for the rest of your trip and hope your red R5 (with AU's first Touareg with snorkel) continues to serve you well.

TonyB

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Tony,
Lost 2 tyres due to sidewall punctures one in Sandfire Roadhouse the other in a Aboriginal community so I'm running now Coopers ST Max and the STT as spares and put the others on the Van. Replaced the rear shock bushes as they started to show some wear. Otherwise all good.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
how do i start a new thread on this site??? :???:
Go Nooby!

(To clarify, sorry Richw, my reply is directed to Noobytoogy)

·
Registered
20,430 Posts
how do i start a new thread on this site??? :???:
Go to the section in which you think your thread is going to be most relevant. I've selected an area for you to click on below [I am using the PC with the full view of the site by the way]:

New Member Introductions - Club Touareg Forums

You'll see the ClubTouareg header. Now look down on the LEFT hand side [this is a US site so they're allowed!] and you will see a BLUE button that says

Click on that and away you go.

One tip for you: to get the best help for yourself and any others who may be searching with a similar problem at a later date, always put the problem in the title not just "Help"!

There is also a UK site www.mytreg.com and if you are a newcomer to the Touareg read the links in my signature below.

One other tip: try using the Search facility first before posting - there is a huge amount of info already on here and the other place.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi Sumar

Been around - that's for sure.

If you want VW Dealership service for the A/C, I recommend John Hughes VW in Vic Park. Not far form the CBD. Nick would be your best bet as a starting point. He has a couple of other good guys in the VW service team now and they have been there for a while.

Others will have differing opinions for sure but I have sent a few mates there after other dealerships have failed to solve long-standing issues and they have been resolved at JH.

And no, I am NOT on any payroll for ANY dealership. Just based on my experience over the last 10 years with 4 VWs.

Good luck.

Andrew

PS Go the Indian Ocean Drive route from Geraldton to Perth if you want it a little more scenic. And you can go via The Pinnacles at the same time.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Sumar

If you want VW Dealership service for the A/C, I recommend John Hughes VW in Vic Park. Not far form the CBD. Nick would be your best bet as a starting point. He has a couple of other good guys in the VW service team now and they have been there for a while.

Others will have differing opinions for sure but I have sent a few mates there after other dealerships have failed to solve long-standing issues and they have been resolved at JH.

And no, I am NOT on any payroll for ANY dealership. Just based on my experience over the last 10 years with 4 VWs.

Good luck.

Andrew

PS Go the Indian Ocean Drive route from Geraldton to Perth if you want it a little more scenic. And you can go via The Pinnacles at the same time.
Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your suggestion, I have booked my car in with Nick next Tuesday, I let him know that you have recommended them, hope it at least gives you some goodwill in the future. We are in Port Dennison and are planning to stay a couple of days in Cervantes so taking up your suggestion there as well following the costal route that way it is a bit cooler that way too. Thanks again for your help and we'll let you know how we fare.
Markus

·
Registered
74 Posts
No problems Markus. Hopefully it all gets sorted for you and that the rest of the trip is uneventful. Enjoy the WA coast (and down the South West too perhaps?). It's beautiful country.

Cheers - Andrew

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Probably the bearing that seized and killed the coupling.

Replace both the coupling and bearing!

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Markus, what is your general direction post-Perth and when do you intend to be in Perth (you may be there by now)? We are 200km from Albany (towards Jerramungup). Will be in Perth soon, so might be able to catch up - here or in Perh. Have you sorted ac? Cheers, Werner
Edit: just noticed you will be in Perth on Tuesday. We should be there Thursday or Friday (flying out Saturday). PM me if it suits you for a catch up wile you're in Perh.

Reactions: sumar

·
Registered
110 Posts
Markus, what is your general direction post-Perth and when do you intend to be in Perth (you may be there by now)? We are 200km from Albany (towards Jerramungup). Will be in Perth soon, so might be able to catch up - here or in Perh. Have you sorted ac? Cheers, Werner Edit: just noticed you will be in Perth on Tuesday. We should be there Thursday or Friday (flying out Saturday). PM me if it suits you for a catch up wile you're in Perh.
From my experience, after labour you will be up for $3k. ( unless the local guys bite)

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Sumar

Good luck.

Andrew

Here is my experience with Nick Phelps from John Hughes VW Perth. All I can say fantastic service, friendly, interested, professional, efficient, He rang me every day to keep me informed of progress and problems, upfront about cost too. We needed a new compressor as it had packed up, non in stock of course but sent out the following day from the east coast. I dropped in the car on Tuesday fixed on Friday. Total cost $3085, they spent chasing an oil leak for about 5 h including cleaning of engine but could not decide where it came from, most likely the transmission, no charge for that. I was dropped off and picked up from the caravan park as they did not have a car available.
So again Andrew thanks for your recommendation, and I wish I had anybody as good in Sydney.
Markus
P.S We are heading of to Hays tomorrow and enjoyed our stay in Perth, lovely city.

·
Learner
5,023 Posts
Enjoy the rest of your travels Markus! Good to know you are back rolling

1 - 14 of 14 Posts